Wikiposts

Citizenship question

Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:47 am
Just Joined

JBobson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship question

Hello everybody

I need some help

My wife and 2 children are living in Ottawa. We all landed in August 07 but I moved back to washington DC to finish my MBA I started in Janaury 2007. I still have 6 months to go. I was the primary applicant during the immigration process. My question is:

1. Will my wife and kids be eligible for citizenship after the 3 years stay in Canada if I don't go and live in Canada with them as I was the primary person in the application? I go to Canada at least once a month and the lease, telephone, cables are under my name. I have an excellent job in DC which Idon't intend to quit until I find something in Canada and also finish my MBA

2. Let's say my wife gets the citizenship in year 4, I will only have 1 year left in my PR card, will I be allowed to travel back to Canada as a PR?

3. If my family moves back to washington, DC after obtaining citizenship , can my wife sponsor me so that I keep my PR in case we want to all move back to Canada? WIll that sponsorship take 2 to 3 years like the normal PR application or CIC will just renew my current PR card?

4. My family will be eligible to apply for citizenship in August 2010, once my wife submit the applivation in August 2010, can she move with the kids in Washington before she is called for the test as the school starts late in August, it's better they move in August, Would the judge ask the questions as to the whereabout of the children and husband or why is my wife living in DC and would like to be a Canadian Citizen?

Thank you for your good help
Old Nov 29th 2008, 4:00 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship question

I know this won't seem very helpful but, if you want to live and work in the US why not apply for PR there?
Old Nov 29th 2008, 5:04 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JBobson
Hello everybody

I need some help

My wife and 2 children are living in Ottawa. We all landed in August 07 but I moved back to washington DC to finish my MBA I started in Janaury 2007. I still have 6 months to go. I was the primary applicant during the immigration process. My question is:

1. Will my wife and kids be eligible for citizenship after the 3 years stay in Canada if I don't go and live in Canada with them as I was the primary person in the application? I go to Canada at least once a month and the lease, telephone, cables are under my name. I have an excellent job in DC which Idon't intend to quit until I find something in Canada and also finish my MBA

2. Let's say my wife gets the citizenship in year 4, I will only have 1 year left in my PR card, will I be allowed to travel back to Canada as a PR?

3. If my family moves back to washington, DC after obtaining citizenship , can my wife sponsor me so that I keep my PR in case we want to all move back to Canada? WIll that sponsorship take 2 to 3 years like the normal PR application or CIC will just renew my current PR card?

4. My family will be eligible to apply for citizenship in August 2010, once my wife submit the applivation in August 2010, can she move with the kids in Washington before she is called for the test as the school starts late in August, it's better they move in August, Would the judge ask the questions as to the whereabout of the children and husband or why is my wife living in DC and would like to be a Canadian Citizen?

Thank you for your good help
1. Yes they are eligible.
2. Yes, as long as you reside for 3 years in every 5.
3. Yes, but you would have to prove an intention to move to Canada, and it is quite possible that CHC would take it as you really don't have an intention.
4. A spousal application, if approved would take somewhere less than 9 months.
5. Unlikely that she would see a judge, as long as she can prove 3 years residence.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

JBobson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Yes they are eligible.
2. Yes, as long as you reside for 3 years in every 5.
3. Yes, but you would have to prove an intention to move to Canada, and it is quite possible that CHC would take it as you really don't have an intention.
4. A spousal application, if approved would take somewhere less than 9 months.
5. Unlikely that she would see a judge, as long as she can prove 3 years residence.
Thank you for this info. It is very usefuul to me.