Citizenship and other things....

Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

dieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship and other things....

Hi Everyone... sorry for not being on the forum for sometime . BE has been invaluable to us when we were applying for our PR, waiting and being frustrated for a response, getting to Canada, being out of work in Canada, and even trying to find out about fertility treatment...

Well our story continues... We're still in Canada, and have amazing 9 month old twins, a boy & girl... needless to say we did the fertility treatment and it worked

I had a couple of questions and I was hoping the every so helpful forum could help us out yet again;

1) Our twins have Canadian Passports (myself and Mother have British), is it possible to apply for their UK passports from the British High Com in Canada, or do we need to send applications back to the UK? I have to travel occasionally with work, so I don't really want to have to send my passport off back to the UK to enable their passports to be processed.... Does anyone know much about this?

2) We've heard that it's more complicated to get a child's UK passport after they are 1 years old... any truth to this?

3) My wife and I will be eligible to apply for Citizenship in October. I know the process is yet another long winded year or so journey. Once our applications have been sent, we're thinking of returning to the UK for a prolonged stay (probably a couple of years...for some baby family time), and we'll have to pop back for Citizen tests and swearing in etc... However my question is, if we apply for Canadian Citizenship in BC, when we come back to do the tests and ceremony, does it have to also be in BC, or could we fly into Toronto for example and do the tests and Oh Canada singing there?

Any comments, help, advice for any or all our questions would be awesome... thanks in advance!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:58 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship and other things....

UK Passports in Canada are obtained through Washington

Not as far as I know. Getting acceptable photos of babes is hard going though, especially if you have to mail them off each time before they get rejected. Took three goes to get decent picture (adequate contrast for feature detection) of my toddler for a canadian passport, and that was all being done in the same building. Mailing them off would have been a protracted nightmare.

Your Canadian citizenship will be administered by whichever office is local to the address you have given them.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 27th 2011 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

dieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of lightdieseltank is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
UK Passports in Canada are obtained through Washington

Not as far as I know. Getting acceptable photos of babes is hard going though, especially if you have to mail them off each time before they get rejected. Took three goes to get decent picture (adequate contrast for feature detection) of my toddler for a canadian passport, and that was all being done in the same building. Mailing them off would have been a protracted nightmare.

Your Canadian citizenship will be administered by whichever office is local to the address you have given them.
Thanks Ian. We know first hand the 'fun' in getting baby passport shots, we took 4 attempts over 4 different days to get their Canadian passport mug shots.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 2:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to send off your passport to get a child's passport. Your birth certificate (if UK born) is normally enough.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dieseltank
2) We've heard that it's more complicated to get a child's UK passport after they are 1 years old... any truth to this?
Never heard of that one. I first obtained UK passports for my 2 oldest kids (both born in Canada) well after they were 1yo. They were 3yo and 2yo.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 1:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dieseltank
Short answer - not really.

Longer answer:

a. the longer you leave it to get a first passport, the more hassle there will be in proving child's identity and citizenship status;
b. before January 2010, in some cases where parents were British by descent, there was a 12 month deadline to register child as British with the Home Office. That age limit is now 18.
c. There are other situations (eg in some cases where the British citizenship claim is through a father not married to the mother) where registration as a British citizen must be done before age 18.

3) My wife and I will be eligible to apply for Citizenship in October. I know the process is yet another long winded year or so journey. Once our applications have been sent, we're thinking of returning to the UK for a prolonged stay (probably a couple of years...for some baby family time), and we'll have to pop back for Citizen tests and swearing in etc... However my question is, if we apply for Canadian Citizenship in BC, when we come back to do the tests and ceremony, does it have to also be in BC, or could we fly into Toronto for example and do the tests and Oh Canada singing there?
Realistically - you're probably going to have to stay in Canada until you get sworn in as a citizen, if you want Canadian citizenship. Although there is no bar in the law, the system is not designed to cater for those who move outside Canada during processing. At least, while it may not be impossible, I've yet to see someone manage it successfully.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...ng_application