Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship online calculator doesn't make sense?

Citizenship online calculator doesn't make sense?

Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship online calculator doesn't make sense?

It's time to get the citizenship application (woohoo) so I went to the CIC Physical Presence calculator. We landed in Canada in 2011, but did not move here to live until 2013.

I enter the date in 2013 for the date we first came to Canada to live.

I enter the date in 2011 for the date we became permanent residents.

I get an error message which tells me 'the date when you first came to Canada to live must be the same as or before the date you became a permanent resident'.

But it's not the same date or before... it's after! How am I supposed to do this? They already have our dates, I've used these dates on our PR card renewal forms and had no problems?

Under the date we became permanent residents it says to use the date on our PR card so there's no changing the 2011 date, but it's obvious we didn't come to live in Canada on the same date because we left a week later for over a year!

I'm confused....
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all
Default Re: Citizenship online calculator doesn't make sense?

maybe because time as temporary resident now grants 1/2 time to citizenship, the first question really means "did u live here for a bit for some way before gaining, activating and beginning PR"

and the second question means "So when did you actually start living here as PR not just activating the PR"
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You can put the date you became PRs in both fields and then list the absences.

You can only put a different date if you lived in Canada before becoming a PR e.g on a work permit.

And no the time requirements have not yet changed. It's currently 1460 days since you became a PR.

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 8th 2017 at 7:24 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegaJamie
maybe because time as temporary resident now grants 1/2 time to citizenship, the first question really means "did u live here for a bit for some way before gaining, activating and beginning PR"

and the second question means "So when did you actually start living here as PR not just activating the PR"

No the second question asks when we actually got PR, because it specifically asks for the date on our PR cards which is the 2011 date. That was the date we were given PR.
The first question definitely does give the opportunity for those living in Canada before this point to show that time, but unfortunately they don't seem to account for people who got PR but didn't come to live in Canada until after that!
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You can put the date you became PRs in both fields and then list the absences.

You can only put a different date if you lived in Canada before becoming a PR e.g on a work permit.

And no the time requirements have not yet changed. It's currently 1460 days since you became a PR.
I guess that's the only way to do it, except they could do with changing the phrasing of their question so I don't feel like I'm starting off my application by not telling the truth lol.

And yes, I know the time requirements haven't changed, I gather it's November that happens?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 7:48 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by MegaJamie

1. The temporary residence time is NOT counted for citizenship at the present time as that portion of C-6 and the 3/5 years have not been enacted as yet,
Old Sep 9th 2017, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
I guess that's the only way to do it, except they could do with changing the phrasing of their question so I don't feel like I'm starting off my application by not telling the truth lol.

And yes, I know the time requirements haven't changed, I gather it's November that happens?

It's after whenever the Bill is enacted in Parliament ..... I don't know that anyone has seen when that will be.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

The bill is passed parliament and received royal assent. The CIC are yet to enact the changes

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...968.1493876355

Citizenship Act changes