Citizenship Oath

Old Apr 27th 2022, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

reenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship Oath

Originally Posted by chisel
Once you have taken the Oath, you're a citizen, you are correct. HOWEVER, you have to get the Certificate of Citizenship before you can get the passport. I was reading on another forum how a guy took the Oath and then immediately decamped for New York and had the certificate mailed to a friend in Canada, who then FedExed it to him in NY, where he applied for the passport at the local consulate/embassy/whatever - he said it took about a month, but it's totally doable. There is some anecdotal evidence on the IRCC website that you can enter with a Certificate of Citizenship only, but it's very iffy and seems subject to the whims of the immigration officer processing you.

Short version: Get the Certificate mailed to a contact in Canada and they can mail it to you, then apply outside the country for the passport.

Hi Chisel (and anyone else on this forum that may have an answer),

as per your advice above I understand that you can apply for the Canadian passport out of the country in order to return to Canada, but is it possible to travel out of Canada immediately after your oath if you are required to cut up your PR card? Will I have any issues leaving the country with no PR card? I recall having to show it when checking in flights both to and from Canada in the past.

Any insight would be really appreciated! Thanks!
Old Apr 27th 2022, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reenie87

as per your advice above I understand that you can apply for the Canadian passport out of the country in order to return to Canada, but is it possible to travel out of Canada immediately after your oath if you are required to cut up your PR card? Will I have any issues leaving the country with no PR card? I recall having to show it when checking in flights both to and from Canada in the past.

I can’t see why Canada would be interested in seeing your PR card as you leave? Obviously required to travel back. I’ve been a citizen for a while but I’m sure I didn’t have to show it to travel out of Canada - has that changed? I’d be nervous about leaving without it though, but I can see why commitments may leave you needing to leave before your passport is processed. But with passport processing times so long at present, that could leave you stuck elsewhere.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reenie87

You can fly out after the oat as long you can enter the country you are going to. For example, if flying to UK you need British passport or visa or any passport that allows to enter UK. Your citizenship certificate can be sent to a friend or relatives house in Canada and they can post it to you via Dhl, Fedex. You can then go Canadian embassy website and download passport application form etc and post the application form back to the high commission.

Last edited by Instantpot; Apr 27th 2022 at 2:42 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2022, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I can’t see why Canada would be interested in seeing your PR card as you leave? Obviously required to travel back. I’ve been a citizen for a while but I’m sure I didn’t have to show it to travel out of Canada - has that changed? I’d be nervous about leaving without it though, but I can see why commitments may leave you needing to leave before your passport is processed. But with passport processing times so long at present, that could leave you stuck elsewhere.
Thank you for your response. Ok that makes me feel better. That’s what I was thinking… that Canada wouldn’t have any interest in my PR card as I was leaving the country. I’ve had to show it in the past at check in for flights completely unrelated to Canada for example London to Tenerife or London to Amsterdam. No idea why which is why I wanted to check! Thanks!
Old Apr 28th 2022, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Instantpot
You can fly out after the oat as long you can enter the country you are going to. For example, if flying to UK you need British passport or visa or any passport that allows to enter UK. Your citizenship certificate can be sent to a friend or relatives house in Canada and they can post it to you via Dhl, Fedex. You can then go Canadian embassy website and download passport application form etc and post the application form back to the high commission.
ok perfect thank you! I’m a British citizen so I’m good to go. Thanks for your help!