Citizenship Oath

Old Jan 19th 2022, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Oath

Happy new year All,
Can one do citizenship oath abroad since oath ceremony is now completed online. My friend received an invitation for citizenship oath for February but he is abroad due a family member health issues. Is it possible to do it online while currently abroad or does he have to be in Canada on the day of oath ceremony.
If he does the oath online while outside Canada will CIC know.
Old Jan 19th 2022, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Oath

Originally Posted by Instantpot
Happy new year All,
Can one do citizenship oath abroad since oath ceremony is now completed online. My friend received an invitation for citizenship oath for February but he is abroad due a family member health issues. Is it possible to do it online while currently abroad or does he have to be in Canada on the day of oath ceremony.
If he does the oath online while outside Canada will CIC know.
I’m sure I read that they will know if you’re outside Canada - the website gives directions as to what to do if you are out of Canada at the time of your scheduled ceremony.

Old Jan 20th 2022, 4:52 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I’m sure I read that they will know if you’re outside Canada - the website gives directions as to what to do if you are out of Canada at the time of your scheduled ceremony.
1. No, you have to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. There are exceptions, but abroad it has to be in front of a Foreign Service officers, the only persons receiving the oath abroad, as far as I know, are Canadian Military Personnel
Old Jan 20th 2022, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Instantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond reputeInstantpot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. No, you have to be in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship. There are exceptions, but abroad it has to be in front of a Foreign Service officers, the only persons receiving the oath abroad, as far as I know, are Canadian Military Personnel
thank you. I thought as much.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

chisel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

I /think/ it's a tiny bit more broad - you just have to be in the service to the government and working abroad - the Military is an obvious example of this, but I think diplomatic folks are similarly covered.

That said, they /have/ now opened taking the Citizenship test abroad, but I really don't see the Oath part changing anytime soon.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chisel
I /think/ it's a tiny bit more broad - you just have to be in the service to the government and working abroad - the Military is an obvious example of this, but I think diplomatic folks are similarly covered.

That said, they /have/ now opened taking the Citizenship test abroad, but I really don't see the Oath part changing anytime soon.
Please do you know if an 8 year old child currently abroad has to come back to Canada and take citizenship oath.
Old Jan 21st 2022, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Please do you know if an 8 year old child currently abroad has to come back to Canada and take citizenship oath.
I think anyone that's eligible to take the Oath must be present in Canada to take it. Per the link here, that would be all adults and children over the age of 14. That said, if there's a child that needs to take the Oath and that's all, you're probably okay, but if the guardians of the child need to take the Oath, then they need to be here.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Unpopular opinion: Set your VPN to Canada if you're doing it online from anywhere in the world.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pjm3586
Unpopular opinion: Set your VPN to Canada if you're doing it online from anywhere in the world.
Quite unpopular. I have heard tell that IRCC has a fairly good list of VPN provider IP subnets, so can tell where people are connecting from and may cross-reference it. More importantly, you're actively lying to an immigration official when they ask you where you are located during the process (Which they will absolutely ask you); never a good start towards wanting a life in Canada, not to mention that IRCC can retroactively strip you of said citizenship if they ever determine that you obtained it fraudulently, which could include lying about your location during Oath. That's not a gamble I would advise anyone to make, ever.

My advice - suck up the dollars and fly; it's an inconvenience, yes, but it ensures that you're not going to be given a hard time later on down the road (at least from that.)
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Quite unpopular. I have heard tell that IRCC has a fairly good list of VPN provider IP subnets, so can tell where people are connecting from and may cross-reference it. More importantly, you're actively lying to an immigration official when they ask you where you are located during the process (Which they will absolutely ask you); never a good start towards wanting a life in Canada, not to mention that IRCC can retroactively strip you of said citizenship if they ever determine that you obtained it fraudulently, which could include lying about your location during Oath. That's not a gamble I would advise anyone to make, ever.

My advice - suck up the dollars and fly; it's an inconvenience, yes, but it ensures that you're not going to be given a hard time later on down the road (at least from that.)
thanks a lot. No plans to do it outside Canada. We have come to far for that.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

thanks a lot. No plans to do it outside Canada. We have come to far for that.
That's not to say don't do it outside of Canada - if (and a BIG "if") IRCC approves it. It never hurts to ask, especially if you're in one of the rare corner cases, but just be prepared to fly in, do it from a hotel room and then fly back.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 3:06 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

One thought that just popped into my head is this: If by obtaining Canadian Citizenship you become a dual citizen, you're required to enter Canada using a Canadian passport. If you were to take your oath outside of Canada, then you would be a citizen at that point. If you previously had PR, that is no longer valid as you're now a citizen. Therefore, how would you get back into Canada without having a Canadian passport?
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sharkus
One thought that just popped into my head is this: If by obtaining Canadian Citizenship you become a dual citizen, you're required to enter Canada using a Canadian passport. If you were to take your oath outside of Canada, then you would be a citizen at that point. If you previously had PR, that is no longer valid as you're now a citizen. Therefore, how would you get back into Canada without having a Canadian passport?
Once you have taken the Oath, you're a citizen, you are correct. HOWEVER, you have to get the Certificate of Citizenship before you can get the passport. I was reading on another forum how a guy took the Oath and then immediately decamped for New York and had the certificate mailed to a friend in Canada, who then FedExed it to him in NY, where he applied for the passport at the local consulate/embassy/whatever - he said it took about a month, but it's totally doable. There is some anecdotal evidence on the IRCC website that you can enter with a Certificate of Citizenship only, but it's very iffy and seems subject to the whims of the immigration officer processing you.

Short version: Get the Certificate mailed to a contact in Canada and they can mail it to you, then apply outside the country for the passport.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sharkus
I believe you can get passport from Canadian embassy. I would hope so.
Old Jan 22nd 2022, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Once you have taken the Oath, you're a citizen, you are correct. HOWEVER, you have to get the Certificate of Citizenship before you can get the passport. I was reading on another forum how a guy took the Oath and then immediately decamped for New York and had the certificate mailed to a friend in Canada, who then FedExed it to him in NY, where he applied for the passport at the local consulate/embassy/whatever - he said it took about a month, but it's totally doable. There is some anecdotal evidence on the IRCC website that you can enter with a Certificate of Citizenship only, but it's very iffy and seems subject to the whims of the immigration officer processing you.

Short version: Get the Certificate mailed to a contact in Canada and they can mail it to you, then apply outside the country for the passport.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.