citizenship for my daughter,

Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:41 am
Just Joined

andy smart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default citizenship for my daughter,

hello all, my wife is Canadian, and we are living in the UK and currently trying to deal with her sponsoring me to immigrate to Canada. we have a son. who has Canadian citizenship already but our daughter was born in UK and does not yet have Canadian citizenship. now form what i have read it can take up to 10 months to get a certificate of citizenship, and then a further 30 days for a Canadian passport for her, however my wifes visa expires June next year so we don't really have 11 months to deal with the process,
would it be simpler to include our daughter on the sponsorship application form, or is there someway we can bring our daughter to Canada on her UK passport then apply once we are in Canada.

i have spent so long looking at websites, going round and round in circles that i fear my brain has turned to mush.
any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
Old Oct 13th 2010, 2:50 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship for my daughter,

In simple general terms you daughter is Canadian if her mother is a Canadian who was born IN Canada. Like UK citizenship it can only be handed down one generation.

If thats the case then I think (and I am NOT a lawyer) you should be OK to travel on her UK passport, and if necessary have her birth cert and her mothers proof of canadian birth to hand if there is any question at immigration about long term admisibility.

Long term you probably want to get a Canadian passport and proof of citizenship anyway, but its the travel documents that are the problem but in this case you have a passport for her anyway and can prove she is Canadian if necessary. The air line is unlikely to make a fuss about an infant traveling with her parents, but if there is a problem its more likely to be from the carrier than immigration I think.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

matthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to all

That's right, being visa-exempt your daughter can travel on her UK passport, then you show the birth certificates on arriving at Canadian immigration to satisfy them she's a Canadian citizen. It'll probably mean a slight delay and a detour into immigration secondary, but as long as you carry the birth certificates, she'll be allowed in.

The only problem would be if the airline refused to board her on a one-way ticket..
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

I contacted Canada House regarding the same thing. I spoke to a real person who told me that the kids needed to enter Canada on their Canadian passports if we intended to settle there rather than visit. I too was concerned about the length of time it would take to get their citizenships. The very helpful woman I spoke to told me to send their application directly to her and she would send them to Canada and mark them "rush". We had them in 2 months. We had their passports 2 weeks after that.

I was also told that for children under 2, you can get a temporary Canadian passport if their citizenship hasn't arrived yet.

I would email/call Canada House, not the High Commission and see if they can help you.

Good luck!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

matthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to all

If you can get the citizenship certificates / passports rushed in time to get them before the PR application is complete, that's ideal. If not, they can enter Canada without, it's just getting on the plane that might cause problems.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:50 am
Just Joined

andy smart is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your replies, very helpful.

Allie 37, could you post the number you called for Canada house.. any numbers we have tried ringing have always led to a machine with lots of numbers (like choose your own adventure) that inevitably end up telling you to look at the internet. i would love so much to speak to a real person but just cant find a phone number to find bring me there.

thanks alot guys
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

ctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to allctraveler is a name known to all

You can apply for a temporary passport (valid for 1 yr) at the same time that you apply for the citizenship certificate. If the citizenship certificate does not come through in time you can have the passport extended for another 6 months and give them any new address details (if you relocate to Canada prior to receiving it). The temporary Canadian passport will do the trick for getting into Canada and it only takes about 10 days from the High Commission in London.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

VW092906 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by andy smart
thanks for all your replies, very helpful.

Allie 37, could you post the number you called for Canada house.. any numbers we have tried ringing have always led to a machine with lots of numbers (like choose your own adventure) that inevitably end up telling you to look at the internet. i would love so much to speak to a real person but just cant find a phone number to find bring me there.

thanks alot guys
Im looking for the exact same thing! we applied for our daughters citizenship in June, and just sent off our immigration application forms so I can sponsor my husband today. So now Im worried her citizenship will slow things down. Im hoping if I can talk to a real person, I can ask them to rush the citizenship.

Please let me know if you get any further with your investigations

Valentina
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughters citizenship took from March till September. We paid online and had a receipt number but could never check online for how far along in the process we were. we received a letter after about 4 months to say all had been sent to Sydney and not to contact them until 9 months had passed - but all came through much quicker.

We had planned on just using their British passports with birth certificates if they had been delayed and not arrived by the time we landed.