Wikiposts

Citizenship for minors

Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship for minors

I've got myself all confused and am hoping I can find some clarification from here!

I have Canadian citizenship, my youngest two are on dads twp.

Originally the plan was I would sponsor all of them to pr and citizenship, however we have decided to move on when the twp expires in 2yrs instead so not enough time to get cit so pr is pointless.

I have been researching if there is anyway my younger two can get their cit in that time - I don't think I can but I keep seeing it say the 3yr residency requirements don't apply to minors? But then elsewhere they need to be here for 3yrs post pr. Can anyone clarify how it works for pr and citizenship for minors?
Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship for minors

Hi

Originally Posted by bert07
I've got myself all confused and am hoping I can find some clarification from here!

I have Canadian citizenship, my youngest two are on dads twp.

Originally the plan was I would sponsor all of them to pr and citizenship, however we have decided to move on when the twp expires in 2yrs instead so not enough time to get cit so pr is pointless.

I have been researching if there is anyway my younger two can get their cit in that time - I don't think I can but I keep seeing it say the 3yr residency requirements don't apply to minors? But then elsewhere they need to be here for 3yrs post pr. Can anyone clarify how it works for pr and citizenship for minors?

1. Assuming that you received your citizenship by birth or naturalization, rather than descent.
2. If that is so and your children were born after you became a Canadian citizen, they are Canadian citizens, and you only need proof of citizenship, see: Get proof of citizenship
3. If they were born prior to you becoming a Canadian citizen, then they require permanent residence before they can apply for citizenship. By the way if they are citizens, they should not have been included on your spouse's TWP.

Last edited by PMM; Mar 6th 2016 at 5:19 am. Reason: clarification
Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have citizenship by descent as does my eldest. Youngest two were born after 2009 so do not qualify hence are on my husbands twp (whereas eldest and I are here on our own paperwork).
Old Mar 6th 2016, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I'd reconsider sponsoring your husband/minor children to become PRs on the basis that:

- You might change your mind and decide to stay. If your husband/younger kids are also PRs this will be easy.

- If your husband/minor children are PRs, they comply with their PR residency obligation while they live with you (a Canadian citizen who is the spouse/parent) outside Canada. So while they can't count these days towards citizenship, they preserve their status as PRs of Canada, if they live with you away from Canada. (see IRPA, 28(1) and 28(2)(ii)).

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i...ge-7.html#h-19

- Investing a few more years in Canada after becoming PRs will produce long term benefits for your husband/minor children. As you realise, dual citizenship is a valuable asset.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 6th 2016 at 11:53 am.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

An application for a grant of citizenship for minor children who are PRs can be made either:

- Concurrently (at the same time as when a parent applies for her/his own citizenship)
- Non concurrently (a Canadian citizen parent applies for the grant for the child)

Citizenship grants: Minors

PRs who are minor children don’t need to meet the residency requirement for a grant of citizenship.

Spouse/children sponsorship for PR is (usually) quicker via the overseas route and possible even when living in Canada.

S

(with thanks to PMM for clarification!).