Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship interview and ceremony

Citizenship interview and ceremony

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship interview and ceremony

Not sure if anyone else has had this happen, if so any advice?
We were not able to attend for our citizenship date in October 2015 ( we got 10 days notice and flights etc had all been booked). We were actually in Germany attending our granddaughters Christening at the time of the interview and ceremony.
It states in the letter we received to contact them within 30 days by calling the help line. I did that immediately and was told to send a letter also.
On the website it stated that we should send a letter to the office of our interview and we will get a date within to weeks !!!!!!!.

Well 10 weeks later, a letter sent immediately and three phone calls to the helpline, still nothing. Only to be told yesterday, it can take up to 6 months if you miss a date and the lady I spoke to was surprised that the website should state two weeks!!!!!!

Oh well all we can do is sit and wait. Hopefully it will not be another 4 months before we hear anything .

It is our last hurdle and we just want to clear it

Good luck to all awaiting citizenship
Thank you for listening
Old Dec 24th 2015, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Citizenship interview and ceremony

Similar thing happened to me last year.

After taking the test and doing the interview I told them I was unavailable to attend a citizenship ceremony during the months of June and July (just a couple of months after my test/interview)
Of course the letter for my ceremony was scheduled for June 16th which was 3 days before I was due to give birth!
So I did what the later stated and wrote to the judge explaining why I could not attend.
My actual ceremony was August 21st.

That was 9 weeks or so between dates.

So you're wait time is not too bad. Bear in mind the location where your ceremony is held at makes a big difference. Mine was in Kitchener. If you're at a busy location your wait time could be longer.

Good luck
Old Dec 24th 2015, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Pinzo A belated congratulations on the birth of your child We are used to the waiting game, but it is frustrating for the web site to say one thing and the helpline to say another. But hey ho.Merry Christmas MJ
Old Dec 29th 2015, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the congratulations!

And I know what you mean, the whole process is frustrating. I think I was frustrated for 10 years from the start of my application to the final hurdle of getting citizenship.

Hopefully you will get notice soon.

Good luck!
Old Jan 1st 2016, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pinzo,Thank you and a happy new year to you and your family