Citizenship entitlement

Old Jul 10th 2017, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

MC_Scot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship entitlement

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could help with a quick question. My father gained Canadian citizenship when he lived and worked in Canada in the 1970's. He later moved to the UK in the 80's where I was born and raised. I believe I am entitled for citizenship through him but I wondered if my kids are also entitled to it? They were born in live in the UK.

I contacted the embassy in Edinburgh who said yes they would be, however when I was applying to renew my fathers Canadian passport I spoke with the London embassy where I was sent the passport application to and they informed my kids aren't eligible.

Not too sure if to just apply for them when doing own application, bit confused to be honest
Old Jul 10th 2017, 3:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship entitlement

If you were born in the UK, I don't think your children will be citizens as well (you are a citizen though, and can get a passport anytime). But you can check eligibility yourself here - https://na1.se.voxco.com/SE/56/amica...3-ebb5fbe61123

If they're not citizens, then you can sponsor them for PR if you wish to move there.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 10th 2017 at 3:21 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Christmas. Your father seems to have been a naturalized Canadian. If so, and he obtained this before you were born, I believe you are considered 1st gen born outside Canada and therefore need to apply for proof (not a grant) of Citizenship.

With regard to your own children I think not because even if they were born prior to * (can't remember the day) April 2009 after which Citizenship became limited to the first generation born outside Canada, you were not recorded as a Canadian citizen at the time of their birth. However, I have seen on this forum and others that people have managed to get it in your kids' situation (provided they were born prior to Apr 2009) but others have been refused. But first, the crucial thing is that you apply for your own proof first and see what happens with that. If successful, you can get a passport.

The Citizenship rules are fairly complicated and it's easy to get confused.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 11th 2017 at 2:49 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

I've done this a few years ago.

You will be entitled I believe. Your citizenship cert will be backdated to your date of birth.

So, your kids should also be entitled IF they were born before the cut off date in 2009

(I have one who is entitled and 2 who aren't).

When I got my paperwork they put a note in it that basically said your kids won't be entitled as it was worded badly so I didn't do anything and then a few years ago a immigration lawyer looked at it and told us to apply and we did and one was allowed.