Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship: documenting time spent in Canada

Citizenship: documenting time spent in Canada

Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

waitingforever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship: documenting time spent in Canada

What is the best way of documenting time spent in Canada to prove I was present for 1095 days ?

1. Would my pay slips/ T-4 suffice ? after all my employer would not pay me unless I came to work !

2. I lived in Windsor and worked in Detroit for about 8 months.Are utility bills/ rent receipts proof enough ?

3. I made a 2 or 3 weekend trips to Michigan last summer. Unfortunately I dont remember the exact dates. Any suggestions on how to handle this ?

thanks - trying to plan ahead
Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:32 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship: documenting time spent in Canada

Originally Posted by waitingforever
What is the best way of documenting time spent in Canada to prove I was present for 1095 days ?

1. Would my pay slips/ T-4 suffice ? after all my employer would not pay me unless I came to work !

2. I lived in Windsor and worked in Detroit for about 8 months.Are utility bills/ rent receipts proof enough ?

3. I made a 2 or 3 weekend trips to Michigan last summer. Unfortunately I dont remember the exact dates. Any suggestions on how to handle this ?

thanks - trying to plan ahead
AFAIK there is no need to document anything at the application stage, just fill in the form as requested with dates you were not present in Canada and send it off.

Documentation will only be a factor if called up by CIC to prove what you put on the form, at which point things like CC records and the like might be usefull. I wouldnt think that rent reciepts were enough, as you can easily rent a place and then sod of for months at a time. CC reciepts show where you were spending money at any particular time. Pay stubs might be helpfull, but I have been paid while out of Canada for short periods, so its not a waterproof document for short absences, but as you say, if you were gone for a long time they wouldnt keep paying you!

For the dates I wasnt sure of I just put an approx date with an * and added a note to say I wasnt sure of the exact date.

I think (but anyone who knows for sure ,feel free to correct me) that if you returned to Windsor every night while working in Detroit it technically counts as a day in Canada. Only if you are out of the country for 24+hrs does it count as not in canada. Not sure though.

Good Luck

Last edited by iaink; Jul 16th 2005 at 7:35 am.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

waitingforever is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info. i'll save whatever CC statements I have. I am sure that returning every night to Canada is considered as spending the day in Canada. I havent kept a record of when I returned to Canada before 00:00 hrs vs when I reached the border after 00:00 hrs- depends on how my evening went Hope this isnt a factor in determining 'a day' !

when does an application go to a citizenship judge ? i guess this would delay the application process. anything i can do to avoid it ?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waitingforever

when does an application go to a citizenship judge ? i guess this would delay the application process. anything i can do to avoid it ?

One way is to leave enough 'margin for error' on the 1095 days so that no-one is going to worry about the odd day or two.

Jeremy