Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship days out of canada calculation confusion

Citizenship days out of canada calculation confusion

Old Mar 14th 2019, 6:37 am
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship days out of canada calculation confusion

Surely you only enter the days you were out of Canada since your landing immigrant date? Why the does online calculator want the 5 years history before the date your making the application and not your landing immigrant date?
Old Mar 14th 2019, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship days out of canada calculation confusion

You may be able to use some of your time spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person towards your physical presence calculation.

Each day spent physically in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident within the last 5 years will count as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days, towards your physical presence.

Temporary resident status includes lawful authorization to enter or remain in Canada as a:
  • visitor
  • student
  • worker or
  • temporary resident permit holder
A protected person is someone who:
  • was found to be in need of protection or a convention refugee by the Immigration and Refugee Board or
  • received a positive decision on a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Note: If you made a refugee claim, or were included on a family member’s refugee claim, you will not be credited time in Canada from the date of the refugee claim until you have received a positive decision confirming that you are a protected person as described above.

Adults and some minors must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1095 days during the five years right before the date you sign your application.

We encourage you to apply with more than 1095 days of physical presence to have extra days in case there is a problem with the calculation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html
Old Mar 14th 2019, 8:08 am
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for reply,, hmm well I've only ever been in Canada as a Brit tourist before my PR - does that count me a temporary resident? (ie no visa or anything)?

Using days from PR date (Dec2014) 1,186 days so I'm okay.

But I've not taken account that 5 year range dates are March2014 to March2019. So if I was abroad prior to the application date of March2014 What should I put that on the app? Should I list the return journey to Canada (as this then falls within the 5 year date range ie after March2014?
Old Mar 14th 2019, 6:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
thanks for reply,, hmm well I've only ever been in Canada as a Brit tourist before my PR - does that count me a temporary resident? (ie no visa or anything)?

Using days from PR date (Dec2014) 1,186 days so I'm okay.

But I've not taken account that 5 year range dates are March2014 to March2019. So if I was abroad prior to the application date of March2014 What should I put that on the app? Should I list the return journey to Canada (as this then falls within the 5 year date range ie after March2014?

Count backwards from the date you will be signing the application NOT forwards from the date you became a landed Permanent Resident.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Count backwards from the date you will be signing the application NOT forwards from the date you became a landed Permanent Resident.
That's what I understood this to mean

Adults and some minors must have been physically present in Canada for at least 1095 days during the five years right before the date you sign your application.
Old Mar 14th 2019, 10:11 pm
Banned

While away from back in UK in the 5 year period and you were visiting other European countries (German for example) should you list that ?
i.e - UK to GER, GER to UK. (a few times)..
Old Mar 14th 2019, 10:20 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
While away from back in UK in the 5 year period and you were visiting other European countries (German for example) should you list that ?
i.e - UK to GER, GER to UK. (a few times)..
i was in the UK a year before my IEC but it was within the eligibility period. So I putting ‘resideing in UK but travelled to Turkey between [inserts dates] and travelled to USA - New York/Boston [insert dates].

I did this because these trips were declared on my PR travel history and just in case IRCC decide to cross-reference. However if your trips have been since PR whilst residing in the UK I don’t know
Old Mar 14th 2019, 10:24 pm
Banned

Yea I guess just reading its seems you just put the Leaving and Returning dates for the first destination and any other mini trips while abroad you just put in the reason field i guess..