Citizenship Checklist

Old Jan 24th 2021, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Checklist

I will have been in Canada 3 years in May 2021. I am looking for advice on ALL the paperwork I need to get in place to apply for Canadian Citizenship.
I am unable to view the Citizen checklist on my Chromebook.
1. Do I need to get another UK Police check and complete a health assessment again?
2. How long is the process? (Has it slowed down due to COVID-19?)
3. If my PR card expires while my citizenship application is in process, what are the implications if I need to travel abroad?

Note I am older than 55 years, so I will not have to complete the Citizenship test, but I am still expected to attend an interview. What is involved?

Would love to hear from anyone who has completed Canadian citizenship within the last 12 months.

Old Jan 24th 2021, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Checklist

Originally Posted by glendem4
1. Do I need to get another UK Police check and complete a health assessment again?
No.

I am also looking at the paperwork for my wife with a view to submitting in Q2 / Q3 2021 (Covid 19 permitting). She will need an English test (looking at CELPIP and as she is below 55, will need a citizenship test when requested post-submission.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 6:24 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Note I am older than 55 years, so I will not have to complete the Citizenship test, but I am still expected to attend an interview. What is involved?
Yes, you still have to attend an interview. When I did mine, they call you up to a desk. They ask you questions related to your application, any changes to address etc. I was asked if I had family that were Canadian - by this point I was common law with my spouse so that counted. They asked me about my job and then said you will get a notice if everything is ok and then a letter to attend ceremony etc.

I got mine in August 2019 so a bit over a year
Old Jan 24th 2021, 9:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I will have been in Canada 3 years in May 2021. I am looking for advice on ALL the paperwork I need to get in place to apply for Canadian Citizenship.
I am unable to view the Citizen checklist on my Chromebook.
2. How long is the process? (Has it slowed down due to COVID-19?)
3. If my PR card expires while my citizenship application is in process, what are the implications if I need to travel abroad?

Would love to hear from anyone who has completed Canadian citizenship within the last 12 months.
There are several threads on citizenship from people who have recently applied.

Instruction guide, includes list of what you will need.. : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ars-older.html
Have you filed your taxes for a minimum of 3 years and got notice of assessments?
No police check or medical needed unless you have left Canada and lived elsewhere for several months in the prior 5 years.
You will need to show proof of English ability - there's a tool on the website for this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...age-proof.html
12-18 months usually for Citizenship, it may slow - 'length of string' analogy, unfortunately!
If you need to travel and your PR card is expiring you can either renew it or once you arrive at your destination, apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. (*make sure to take proof of residency with you - tax assessments etc., they will be required). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 27th 2021 at 3:59 pm. Reason: amended police check for anyone who may have lived abroad for extended periods..
Old Jan 24th 2021, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
There are several threads on citizenship from people who have recently applied.

Instruction guide, includes list of what you will need.. : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ars-older.html
Have you filed your taxes for a minimum of 3 years and got notice of assessments?
No police check or medical needed.
You will need to show proof of English ability - there's a tool on the website for this: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...age-proof.html
12-18 months usually for Citizenship, it may slow - 'length of string' analogy, unfortunately!
If you need to travel and your PR card is expiring you can either renew it or once you arrive at your destination, apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. (*make sure to take proof of residency with you - tax assessments etc., they will be required). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html
According to the website, Police certificates are required.Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
  • in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
  • you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years

I got permanent residence on 14th September 2017. I returned back to the UK on 28th September 2017 to sell our house.
I moved permanently on 2nd May 2018 to Canada.

Based on the above criteria, I was in the UK more than 183 days in the last 4 years and therefore require a police certificate.

If I wait until 2nd May 2022, I will have been in Canada 4 years and will not require a police certificate.

Please correct me if I am wrong ?
Old Jan 27th 2021, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not sure about the police certificates. But at the moment it is so slow.

they have a pilot program so some people are doing online tests followed by online oath. It seems to be a bit random how they chose people though.

To give you an idea we applied in Sept 2019..... we’re waiting and waiting. Hoping that we will be done in the first six months of this year but no guarantees.
Old Jan 31st 2021, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of timelines, they received my application on Sept 14th 2020. I have not yet received an AOR; assuming it could be quite some time. Think there’s a thread here somewhere that I’ll post in when I get that first update but it’ll be interesting to see how far “behind” that is compared to other DP’s