Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship certificate via London for child - how long?

Citizenship certificate via London for child - how long?

Old Nov 25th 2012, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship certificate via London for child - how long?

Has anyone submitted an application for their child born outside Canada for a certificate of citizenship? How long did it take to arrive?

Or anyone else waiting for one?

I submitted application for my son in August. I'm not in a major hurry for it to arrive, and I don't expect it very soon either. Just wondered if it is likely to take the 12-15 months they suggest or whether there is a chance it could arrive before that!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship certificate via London for child - how long?

Some seem to come through fairly quickly - I think ours took about 8 months. I know of someone who has been waiting more than a year for her daughters' certificates - and they won't look into it until the maximum time is up ie 15 months.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

bubblybre86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Prairie chicken,

Have you received the citizenship certificate yet?

Many thanks
Old Mar 13th 2013, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

Yes we have it! Arrived around the end of January, so all in all took about 5 months to come after I sent the application off. Pretty fast I would say.

bubblybre86 are you waiting for one too?
Old Mar 13th 2013, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

canadianbird is an unknown quantity at this point

I stupidly submitted my children's proof of citizenship applications through my Canadian father, so they went straight to Sydney Nova Scotia as my Son was living with my Dad at that time. He got his a whopping 16 months later a couple of weeks ago!! I am still waiting for the other 4 children's to come through. My MP here in Canada has made an inquiry and they have said the applications are in a special programme..we can only guess that its because my youngest child is not allowed citizenship through this route and I need to sponsor him, I just wish they would hurry up and tell me that !! unless CIC are going to make an exception which I doubt..
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Yeh, its been 7 1/2 months so far, not heard a peep! So frustrating as i am waiting to know if i am a canadian or not! As soon as i know, i can start planning the move etc so i am a bit in limbo at the moment. Im assuming i am citizen on the basis that my grandfather was born in Canada and my father is a Canadian citizen (born in the uk) his citizenship certificate shows he was a citizen since birth.

They take so long!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess it all depends on how quick and easy it is to check all the data. My son's was probably quite straightforward as I was born in Canada myself, so they didn't have to go far back to check me out for being a bona fide citizen. He is only 10 so double checking his birth details and making sure I was actually his parent were probably pretty easy too.

I guess the further back you have to go, the more complex it gets and therefore the longer it takes? That would be my guess anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

I think your right! Well the CIC website says 8-9 months to process 80% of applications so im just hoping that im in that 80%. Fingers crossed! When i do the 'am i canadian?' assessment on the CIC website it says im likely a citizen but i dont want to start planning anything until it is in my hands!

Thanks Prairiechicken