Citizenship Certificate

Old May 17th 2012, 8:34 am
Just Joined

priestyboy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Certificate

Hi folks,
New to this forum - and after some advice if possible.

I am planning on moving to Canada in around 6 months time.

I was born in Canada and came over to Britain at the age of 2 (where I have been since). I have a canadian birth certificate and an out of date canadian passport.

From my understanding I am already a Canadian Citizen however I am unsure whether I need to apply for a Citizen Certificate to help prove my citizenship for when I arrive in Canada.

Main problem is that the CIC website suggests the proof of citizenship certificate takes 6-9 months to process.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks
Dan
Old May 17th 2012, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Citizenship Certificate

I'm guessing your expired Canadian passport is the one from birth?

It's a shame - because if it had been less than a year old you could have applied for a new one with none of the required proof documents:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ts.aspx?view=d

...and to get a passport the normal way requires a supporting proof of identity document along with the other requirements. Yours would be that proof of citzenship I guess, with its timeline.

You could always contact the Canadian High Commission in London (if you've not already done so) to see what advice they may have.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ang=eng&view=d
Old May 17th 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

Hi

Just to let you know, I applied for my Proof of Canadian Citizenship in February last year, and I received my citizenship card through in May last year, so it only took three months. If you write a covering letter advising them that you are looking to move to Canada within 6 months, and without the Certificate, you will be unable to apply for jobs etc, then they will hopefully fast track it for you. They did process mine very quickly, so not sure if it was just a quieter time. Hope this helps.
Old May 17th 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

priestyboy99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice,
Hopefully they will be able to process it quicker for me too

Yes it was a passport issued at birth.

The CIC states that in many cases a birth certificate is proof of citizenship.
Ie- I may not even need the citizenship certificate.
However it is not overly clear.
I was born after 1977, my parents were british but living and working in canada (neither of them diplomats).

I have pasted the below off the website

Proof of citizenship
Why you may need proof of citizenship
You might need proof of Canadian citizenship to:
• vote;
• obtain a passport;
• obtain a driver’s licence, an enhanced driver’s licence or an enhanced identity card;
• get a job;
• access government services such as health care or a pension, or to obtain a Social Insurance Number.

Which documents are accepted as proof of citizenship?

The following documents are recognized by Citizenship and Immigration Canada as proof of citizenship. Some government departments or agencies may not accept all the documents below and may require additional documents.
• Provincial or territorial birth certificates are often enough to prove that you are a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada.
o Your birth certificate cannot serve as proof of citizenship if you were born in Canada after February 14, 1977, and at the time of your birth, your parents were neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, and at least one parent had diplomatic status in Canada.
o If you were born in Canada before February 15, 1977, to a parent with diplomatic status, please contact us to find out if your birth certificate is a valid proof of citizenship.
• Naturalization certificates (issued before January 1, 1947)
• Registration of Birth Abroad certificates (issued between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977, inclusively)
• Certificates of Retention (issued between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977, inclusively)
• Citizenship certificates. Find more information about:
o Who can apply for a citizenship certificate
o How to apply for a citizenship certificate
Old May 17th 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a citizenship cert. Since you already had a Canadian passport, you are definitely a Canadian citizen and were able to prove it without a citizenship cert. Check for yourself here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp

You can simply apply for a Canadian passport using your Canadian birth cert. My daughter was in the same situation and was able to obtain her Canadian passport using just her Ontario birth cert. She was able to use the wallet-sized "short form" birth cert (the one that has no parental details).

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 17th 2012 at 3:38 pm.