Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Cert / Family class Applicant Q's

Citizenship Cert / Family class Applicant Q's

Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Alibastar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Cert / Family class Applicant Q's

Hi all,

Please forgive me if I sound a bit dim with this. I did have a minor stroke over the weekend so I'm having a bit of trouble remembering where I was in the process of going over the supporting documents for my wife's app to Canada.

We are applying from outside Canada with me, the Canadian husband being the sponsor. We've had a USA born daughter since we've been here.

My question is "do we need my daughter's Citizenship Cert (or mine for that matter) for my wife's part of the application?"

The Immigrant's Guide Checklist #6 says;

Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate ... for any family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
Of course it is placed in an awkward place at the end of a paragraph discussing marriage and death certificats making it hard to discern. My question is why would they need Citizenship Certificates of my daughter or me? My passport is included with my part of the app and in order to obtain that I needed a BC or CC.

Of course the concern is that if we need one for my daughter that mailing our application would be delayed as we are outside the country.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:15 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Cert / Family class Applicant Q's

Originally Posted by Alibastar
Hi all,

Please forgive me if I sound a bit dim with this. I did have a minor stroke over the weekend so I'm having a bit of trouble remembering where I was in the process of going over the supporting documents for my wife's app to Canada.

We are applying from outside Canada with me, the Canadian husband being the sponsor. We've had a USA born daughter since we've been here.

My question is "do we need my daughter's Citizenship Cert (or mine for that matter) for my wife's part of the application?"

The Immigrant's Guide Checklist #6 says;

Of course it is placed in an awkward place at the end of a paragraph discussing marriage and death certificats making it hard to discern. My question is why would they need Citizenship Certificates of my daughter or me? My passport is included with my part of the app and in order to obtain that I needed a BC or CC.

Of course the concern is that if we need one for my daughter that mailing our application would be delayed as we are outside the country.

Any help would be appreciated.
If u sent the photocopy of ur canadian passport, its enough and u dont need any citizenship certificate!
As far as ur daughter is concerned, she's a candian citizen too (becuz u are a canadian citizen)! She doesnt need a visa nor her citizenship certificate is required for ur wife's case!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Just curious then, when they say "Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate ... for any family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada..." who are they talking about if not the people who are Candian citizens?

It seems illogical to ask for CC's for any Candian citizens - particularly on the applicants forms and not the sponsor forms.

Q: If they aren't talking to me and my daughter in the above #6, then who are they talking to, and why would they need to submit CC's?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:57 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious then, when they say "Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate ... for any family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada..." who are they talking about if not the people who are Candian citizens?

It seems illogical to ask for CC's for any Candian citizens - particularly on the applicants forms and not the sponsor forms.

Q: If they aren't talking to me and my daughter in the above #6, then who are they talking to, and why would they need to submit CC's?
They need the passport photocopy or CC photocopy of just u, becuz u are the one sponsoring ur wife!
ur daughter is already a canadian citizen and thereby dosent need a visa! And she is not the one sponsoring her....
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

No, I understand what you are saying, but I'm referring specifically to the section #6 from the Document checklist from the US Specific VISA post guidelines which says:

Photocopy of Citizenship Certificate ... for any family members who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.

I understand you say that I don't need one, but who then could they possibly be referring to in this requirement? I would think they would be speaking generally and not specifically, but who is this requirement addressed to? I can't think of one possible situation where they would ask an applicant member of the family class to provide the CC's for any Canadian citizens in there family. That should be their sponsors job. It doesn't even make sense to me....
Old Jun 10th 2005, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alibastar,

I'm not sure I understand completely what the issue is, just wanted to say we sent copies of my (foreign-born canadian citizen) son's certificate and passport along with the application for my partner to be sponsored by me. It's almost a year now so I'm hazy on the details but you could be right in that it wasn't actually necessary. We just enclosed it more for the "supporting evidence" reasons - hey CIC, look, we have a son together, we've taken the trouble of obtaining him proof of citizenship and passport, i.e. we seriously intend to move to Canada in the long-run...etc etc.

Good luck with your application!

Biiiiink
Old Jun 11th 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi Alibastar,

I'm not sure I understand completely what the issue is, just wanted to say we sent copies of my (foreign-born canadian citizen) son's certificate and passport along with the application for my partner to be sponsored by me. It's almost a year now so I'm hazy on the details but you could be right in that it wasn't actually necessary. We just enclosed it more for the "supporting evidence" reasons - hey CIC, look, we have a son together, we've taken the trouble of obtaining him proof of citizenship and passport, i.e. we seriously intend to move to Canada in the long-run...etc etc.

Good luck with your application!

Biiiiink
Hi Mrs. B,

I'm not sure if it is needed or not. The docs seem to say that it is needed, but everyone else on this board seems to say "No, it is not."

We don't have a CC for her yet and are unable to get one. The application forms say that if you are residing outside the country you are supposed to contact your local consulate. Guess what? Our local consulate provides no means for phone support! And they are too far to drive to just for "how much and where do we send it."

I'm thinking we may have to include a note saying we'll send it when we get it so that we don't delay this any further. We will be in Canada in 6 weeks so I'll probably apply now and have it sent to that address in Canada.

However, we do have our daughter's BC from the US, and she has a US passport. Do you think I should send those in support? Or, would the US passport just muddy the waters?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,

I'd send the birth certificate (not the US passport) but like I said, it's more from the proving you are in a relationship point of view, I don't think non-applicants are actually required to send anything like that. You could maybe add a post-it to the birth certificate saying "currently applying for Canadian citizenship certificate" or such just for clarification. I wouldn't worry though, if your daughter's not on the app I'm pretty certain no documents at all are required from her.

I can't remember where I got the forms for my son's CC but it may have been here ---> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/certif2.html I know it says contact the nearest HC/embassy but the forms are all there too if you want to download them and go ahead and send your daughter's app to Sydney.

Good luck with it all

Biiiiink

Hi Mrs. B,

I'm not sure if it is needed or not. The docs seem to say that it is needed, but everyone else on this board seems to say "No, it is not."

We don't have a CC for her yet and are unable to get one. The application forms say that if you are residing outside the country you are supposed to contact your local consulate. Guess what? Our local consulate provides no means for phone support! And they are too far to drive to just for "how much and where do we send it."

I'm thinking we may have to include a note saying we'll send it when we get it so that we don't delay this any further. We will be in Canada in 6 weeks so I'll probably apply now and have it sent to that address in Canada.

However, we do have our daughter's BC from the US, and she has a US passport. Do you think I should send those in support? Or, would the US passport just muddy the waters?
Old Jun 11th 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thansk for the reply,

I think we will send it to Sydney. We shouldn't have any problem at the border I wouldn't think. Last time we came over they were real nice to us. However, going back the US guys wanted her BC which we did provide.

I'll toss a note on that says we have applied for the CC and mail that in to Sydney at the same time we send the IMM app for my wife.

My wife said to me today "funny, I don't remember the US app being this hard" and I said "I guess I'm lucky because I don't remember it at all!"