Citizenship for Canada from UK...

Old Dec 5th 2014, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

maple moments. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship for Canada from UK...

Hi,
I realise this topic has been done, but thanks for any info. /experience you may have:

I lived and worked in Canada for 7 years, applied for Citizenship 8 months ago and got 'the letter' to inform 'now processing.' Was still in Canada at that time.

I came back to the UK for 10 months for family reasons. Should be returning to Canada Sept. 2015 approx.

Anyone received 'Citizenship Test' notice to attend whilst you're outside Canada?
Is it doable these days?

I have a close family friend in Canada and use that address for 'mail in Canada' so no worries for Canadian immigration corresponding 'within Canada.'

However - need to give my UK address just now - checked CIC website - can't list your 'change of address' for UK. Must visit local CIC.... ie. London, to change address for UK.

Anyway Thanks for reading. Basically wonder if I can get Citizenship during my stint in the UK. I have my Permanent Residence Card no problem.

Cheers,
MM
Old Dec 5th 2014, 9:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship for Canada from UK...

Ho and welcome to BE

I've moved your thread over to the Canada Immigration forum. I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jerseygirl,

Thanks for the info. and the Welcome Greetings
I'll check out the Canada section for this.
Cheers,
mm.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

From the CIC website
Asking questions about your application
While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:

you change your address,
you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,
you are charged with a crime or
we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times.
After you apply: get next steps – Citizenship
Old Dec 6th 2014, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi Former Lancastrian,

Thanks so much for that into. Yes I saw that too on the Website. But when I signed in to change the address - it won't let you if it's 'outside Canada'..... you need to visit 'local Embassy' to get them to add your UK address. Thus London is the place.

I guess this means it's unlikely I can get Citizenship whilst I'm in the UK for 8 months... if so, just need to return with my PR card and start the whole process again....such is life...
But hope I can keep my recent PR card status. Should be ok if going back to Canada with only a '1 year gap' more or less.

Cheers,
mm
Old Dec 6th 2014, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maple moments.
Hi Former Lancastrian,

Thanks so much for that into. Yes I saw that too on the Website. But when I signed in to change the address - it won't let you if it's 'outside Canada'..... you need to visit 'local Embassy' to get them to add your UK address. Thus London is the place.

I guess this means it's unlikely I can get Citizenship whilst I'm in the UK for 8 months... if so, just need to return with my PR card and start the whole process again....such is life...
But hope I can keep my recent PR card status. Should be ok if going back to Canada with only a '1 year gap' more or less.

Cheers,
mm
Processing times for normal applications are 24 months so it is possible to be in the UK for several months before you get the date of the test. Its also quite possible you might be back in Canada before they contact you. Your call in the end.
Its being in the UK then suddenly having to fly back on very short notice is the risk.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Processing times for normal applications are 24 months so it is possible to be in the UK for several months before you get the date of the test. Its also quite possible you might be back in Canada before they contact you. Your call in the end.
Its being in the UK then suddenly having to fly back on very short notice is the risk.

Some good points. Thanks again.