Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship - Called for Test from the UK....

Citizenship - Called for Test from the UK....

Old Jun 15th 2016, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

maple moments. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship - Called for Test from the UK....

Hi, wonder if anyone had their Citizenship test appointment come when they were over in the UK?

We've been in the UK for an extended period over a year, due to helping out with family.
Due back in Canada later this year.

I applied for Citizenship prior to leaving Canada for an extended time.

I informed CIC I'm in the UK at the mo. Got a letter sent to say 'Attend for Citizenship test' in Canada. i.e. fly over for standard procedure interview and take the test.

My point here:
I've been outside the UK for over a year now
Not 'resident in Canada just now (back Nov. 2016)
Will work for my previous Canadian company when I get back - but not employed in Canada just now.
Haven't paid Canadian taxes for over a year as 'not resident' at this time.

With all that in mind, is it worth going back for the Interview with the test? Would CIC feel I lack commitment to Canada once they look at my docs and circumstances? (I'm actually still fully committed to living there, no question).

In theory your Citizenship Application takes into account the 4 years prior to application - I ticked all the boxes, paid taxes etc. no issues. (I know timeframes etc. have changed now).

Just mulling this over and wonder if anyone else had the same thing.
Don't want to waste a flight to be told now can't proceed as not resident in Canada.... but then I'd just have to accept 'no Citizenship' at the mo.

(Have PR Card and made trips back to Canada in our time over in UK. Still valid).

Of course it's great to have the opportunity to apply for Citizenship, not complaining in any way, just wonder about circumstances and timing.

Thanks for any input or shared experiences you have.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - Called for Test from the UK....

Read this link
Prepare for the citizenship test

Obviously they found you eligible to take the test. Its your choice now to try and postpone or attend.

IMPORTANT PART
If you are not available on that date, contact the Call Centre. We will schedule your test on a different date. If you do not attend the test, you must contact the Call Centre or we will close your application.
Old Jun 16th 2016, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

maple moments. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship - Called for Test from the UK....

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Read this link
Prepare for the citizenship test

Obviously they found you eligible to take the test. Its your choice now to try and postpone or attend.

IMPORTANT PART
If you are not available on that date, contact the Call Centre. We will schedule your test on a different date. If you do not attend the test, you must contact the Call Centre or we will close your application.
Ok, Thanks Lancastrian. Useful link too. Yes I guess, even though would be there for the test then returning to the UK for a spell, they asked me to attend and know I'm not resident just now.