Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship and bankruptcy advice needed

Citizenship and bankruptcy advice needed

Old Jan 5th 2019, 9:32 am
Just Joined

jojosmad31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship and bankruptcy advice needed

Hello,
I have Canadian PR status which is valid until December 2020. I left Canada for what was due to be 3 to 4 months on June 25 2017. Due to a sudden bereavement in England I extended my stay and I am still in the UK today.
My adult children live in Calgary. They all have PR status and two of them have applied for citizenship.
I am eligible to apply for citizenship and have read previous posts that state you can apply whilst in the UK, however if / when I return to reside in Canada I will have to file for bankruptcy.
I have no issues doing this and this is not the reason I am living elsewhere but need to know if this will deny citizenship being granted, 1. Because of the bankruptcy itself or 2. Because of the bankruptcy and I am living out of country.
If residing in Canada until it has been granted is the way to go then I will do this as I obviously want to be able to be with my kids if the need arises in the future.
Many thanks in advance for any advice 🙂
Old Jan 5th 2019, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship and bankruptcy advice needed

The following link gives reasons why a person is prohibited from gaining citizenship and I see nothing about bankruptcy

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tizenship.html

NOTE; read the below link about submitting applications after 11 January 2018

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by jojosmad31
Hello,
I have Canadian PR status which is valid until December 2020. I left Canada for what was due to be 3 to 4 months on June 25 2017. Due to a sudden bereavement in England I extended my stay and I am still in the UK today.
My adult children live in Calgary. They all have PR status and two of them have applied for citizenship.
I am eligible to apply for citizenship and have read previous posts that state you can apply whilst in the UK, however if / when I return to reside in Canada I will have to file for bankruptcy.
I have no issues doing this and this is not the reason I am living elsewhere but need to know if this will deny citizenship being granted, 1. Because of the bankruptcy itself or 2. Because of the bankruptcy and I am living out of country.
If residing in Canada until it has been granted is the way to go then I will do this as I obviously want to be able to be with my kids if the need arises in the future.
Many thanks in advance for any advice 🙂
1. You have to be in Canada to apply, although you can leave Canada once you have applied. Note IRCC will not send mail notification of the test date, if under 54 and of date of oath outside Canada.
2. Assuming you left Canada 25/06/17 and had not left Canada in the prior 3 years for even 1 day, you would eligible to apply for citizenship up to 25/06/19. 3 years residency in the previous 5. After that date, you would not be eligible if you haven't returned to Canada.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 8:56 am
Just Joined

jojosmad31 is an unknown quantity at this point

What constitutes '''being in Canada when I apply"?
Does that mean being there when it is posted and franked, or being there when CIC acknowledges receipt of the application?
Old Jan 6th 2019, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosmad31
What constitutes '''being in Canada when I apply"?
Does that mean being there when it is posted and franked, or being there when CIC acknowledges receipt of the application?
IMHO it would mean you have to be physically in Canada on the day you submit the application. It could take some time for IRCC to acknowledge receipt of it.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 2:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?
Some helpful info on the link