British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Citizenship Application Timeline (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/citizenship-application-timeline-884075/)

Housman Jun 2nd 2022 4:28 pm

Re: Citizenship Application Timeline

bramallbald and Joepottinger I really feel for you both - we got notice for ceremony May 9th and had our ceremony yesterday. I'm sure others may disagree but from the applicant perspective there just seems to be so much variation in each step of the process without any information for you to understand why. I really hope you both get across the finish line asap (fingers crossed!) . I really do feel fortunate that our timeline was quick

Joepottinger Jun 5th 2022 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Housman (Post 13119615)
bramallbald and Joepottinger I really feel for you both - we got notice for ceremony May 9th and had our ceremony yesterday. I'm sure others may disagree but from the applicant perspective there just seems to be so much variation in each step of the process without any information for you to understand why. I really hope you both get across the finish line asap (fingers crossed!) . I really do feel fortunate that our timeline was quick

Its even more confusing when individuals have everything move to completed except the ceremony...whats the holdup with scheduling a teams meeting for those individuals. I understand in my case theres clearly something they still need to do with my application as its still "in progress" but for others I really dont understand it, why hold them up 5-6 months when its as simple as making an extra ceremony or two online.

It would be great though if they would at least just say in a quick email, this is why the application is held up.

bramallblade Jun 5th 2022 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Joepottinger (Post 13120097)
Its even more confusing when individuals have everything move to completed except the ceremony...whats the holdup with scheduling a teams meeting for those individuals. I understand in my case theres clearly something they still need to do with my application as its still "in progress" but for others I really dont understand it, why hold them up 5-6 months when its as simple as making an extra ceremony or two online.

It would be great though if they would at least just say in a quick email, this is why the application is held up.

This is literally my position. Everything is completed excepet 'Ceremony'.

bc2015 Jun 6th 2022 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Joepottinger (Post 13120097)

Not excusing the delay or lack of communication but just some perspective. There are only 9 citizenship judges in Canada and each ceremony has to be run in one of their (virtual) presences. Each Zoom ceremony can have a max of 40 (more or less) groups - a group can be a single person or a family. The reason the number per Zoom ceremony is low (as I understand) is they need to make sure everyone clearly says the oath (one person was kicked out of my ceremony for not saying the oath properly). Add in to that the overhead of the pre- and post- ceremony activities and it's clear why scheduling ceremonies can take a while as there is simply not the capacity to meet the demand. The real answer is they need to go back to in-person ceremonies and it's not clear to me why this hasn't happened yet.

llysmabley Jun 7th 2022 9:51 pm

Which Federal minister is in charge ? Maybe a news program on TV could interview this person and get an explanation. At the moment there is just a process of ignoring any criticism altogether.

Former Lancastrian Jun 7th 2022 10:44 pm

Try this guy

https://www.seanfrasermp.ca/contact-us

bramallblade Jun 14th 2022 2:26 pm

So, my tracker is now updated as of June 13th 2022 (yesterday.) That's great but absolutely nothing has changed apart from the date to say it was updated yesterday. Everything is completed except ceremony which still says 'not started'. Hopefully, this will mean a date is coming soon. I am way over the timeframe.

Incidentally, I sent a Twitter DM to the official (verified) IRCC Twitter account on Sunday outlining my case and my reference numbers etc. Coincidence? I don't believe in those!

The Twitter account is: @CitImmCanada

Richb1970 Jul 5th 2022 4:00 pm

We applied last year but had the application returned as I had missed a piece of ID. We are a family of 4 2 adults and a 23yo and 19yo - interesting only me and my wife had to do fingerprints.

Our timeline is

AOR - March 8th 2022
Fingerprints required - May 9th 2022
Fingerprint results - June 2nd 2022
Background complete - June 3rd 2022
Citizenship test scheduled - June 15th 2022
Citizenship test completed - June 27th 2022

I did my test a week before the other 3 so await confirmation from them then just wait as there is nothing else for us to do!

llysmabley Jul 10th 2022 1:28 pm

Applied in December 2020.
Decision made October 2021.
Ceremony June 22 2022.
Received Certificate June 8th. 2022.
A long wait but worth it.

The ceremony was a bit scary to begin but the moderators were excellent and the judge was great !

bramallblade Jul 10th 2022 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by llysmabley (Post 13128045)
Applied in December 2020.
Decision made October 2021.
Ceremony June 22 2022.
Received Certificate June 8th. 2022.
A long wait but worth it.

The ceremony was a bit scary to begin but the moderators were excellent and the judge was great !

Huge congrats to you. I am stil waiting for a ceremony date. Test was completed in Jan 2021 and the whole process is now approaching 2 years. When did you take your test?

llysmabley Jul 10th 2022 8:50 pm

Over 80 so no test required.

bramallblade Aug 5th 2022 10:41 am

Hi all,

Finally, some news! I logged on to the tracker yesterday to see that I have been invited to attend a citizenship ceremony on August 23rd! I am so excited. It will be 1 week shy of the entire process taking 2 years.

Should I expect an email from them? Presumably yes.

Thanks all.

sharkus Aug 5th 2022 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by bramallblade (Post 13133131)
Hi all,

Finally, some news! I logged on to the tracker yesterday to see that I have been invited to attend a citizenship ceremony on August 23rd! I am so excited. It will be 1 week shy of the entire process taking 2 years.

Should I expect an email from them? Presumably yes.

Thanks all.

Correct, there should be an email arriving with details of how and what you need to do. I recall it took at least a couple of days to arrive after seeing the status change in the portal.

bramallblade Aug 6th 2022 11:15 am

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 13133220)
Correct, there should be an email arriving with details of how and what you need to do. I recall it took at least a couple of days to arrive after seeing the status change in the portal.

Right, right. Still no email but my status only changed on Thursday

bramallblade Aug 10th 2022 12:43 pm

Hi all,

So I received an email from IRCC saying they had sent me an email August 3rd with forms for me to fill in ahead of the ceremony... I never got that email so I am going to have to chase that asap.

However, the email they did send said... "All original documents in your possession (i.e., Immigration Record of Landing (IMM1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM5292 or IMM 5688)).

I cannot find these forms and I am starting to panic. I don't have them and have searched high and low for them. They are not with any of my other PR docs and I wouldn't have kept them anywhere else. I am trying to think whether I sent them with my citizenship application but apart from that, I am at a total loss.

PLEASE HELP!