Citizenship Application Timeline

Old Jan 26th 2022, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Application Timeline

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Hi all,

I had my citizenship test this past weekend after receiving AOR September 2021. Big thanks to all on here for me getting to this point in my citizenship.

Does anybody know when I can expect to be called for ceremony? My application was submitted online.

Also my application still says language, presence and prohibitions are still "in progress". Would i receive the ceremony notice without those being marked as "completed"?

Thank you.
Hello,

I took my test early November in Ontario. Couple days later everything but ceremony switched to completed. I haven’t heard anything else since regarding ceremony, I’ve seen others got theirs within a few months after the test. I’m at 16 months from submission, so fingers crossed I can get it all wrapped up before my PR card expires next year
Old Jan 26th 2022, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

chisel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Hello,

I took my test early November in Ontario. Couple days later everything but ceremony switched to completed. I haven’t heard anything else since regarding ceremony, I’ve seen others got theirs within a few months after the test. I’m at 16 months from submission, so fingers crossed I can get it all wrapped up before my PR card expires next year
That sounds about right. My test was last July and it took all the way until the end of November to get the Oath set up/completed. You should be good, if you mean your PR literally expires in 2023.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Curlew is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an update for those tracking these timelines. I took my citizenship test on 27th November. Late Monday night I received an email advising my citizenship ceremony will be held in two weeks' time. Pretty exciting stuff. Applied June 2020, letter of receipt not issued until November 2020, then a years' wait for the citizenship test. Now the final hurdle.

One thing, I note in the guidance that they say they require you to cut up your PR card at the ceremony. Can I still travel into the country using my UK passport whilst I wait for a Canadian one? I may need to travel for work, but it's not set in stone at this point. I fear I know the answer already...

Cheers
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 10th 2022, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curlew
Just an update for those tracking these timelines. I took my citizenship test on 27th November. Late Monday night I received an email advising my citizenship ceremony will be held in two weeks' time. Pretty exciting stuff. Applied June 2020, letter of receipt not issued until November 2020, then a years' wait for the citizenship test. Now the final hurdle.

One thing, I note in the guidance that they say they require you to cut up your PR card at the ceremony. Can I still travel into the country using my UK passport whilst I wait for a Canadian one? I may need to travel for work, but it's not set in stone at this point. I fear I know the answer already...

Cheers
Awesome! Hopefully mine comes up soon then, I took mine early November.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Kawartha Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Curlew, it must be quite a relief to finally get to the top of the hill.

Things may have changed since 2017, but I don't remember any card cutting for the 90 or so there with me at the time. The ceremony is quite straightforward.

Although I'm not an authority on this, I would assume because you'll have dual nationality you would be able to travel on either passport.

Good luck!!
Old Feb 11th 2022, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curlew

Cheers
Yes. You have to cut up your card. We actually were told to cut it up afterwards and sent a photo of the pieces.
Then you’re in limbo land until you get a Canadian passport as you can’t use your British one to come back in to Canada.
For reference, our certificates arrived 12 days after the oath. We then applied for our passports. Applications received Dec 6th. New passports received Feb 2nd. But there was Christmas in the middle so would likely have been faster if not.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 1:17 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kawartha Man
Although I'm not an authority on this, I would assume because you'll have dual nationality you would be able to travel on either passport.
That is not the case. Within the last few years Canada requires that Canadian Citizens with Dual Nationality must enter canada with a Canadian passport. More info here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html

That does reference the ability to apply for a special authorization, which is likely what would need to be done, though you would still need to have your certificate of citizenship

Last edited by sharkus; Feb 11th 2022 at 1:19 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Application shows updated today but citizenship oath still shows not started and no other visible changes in the application history, so hoping I’ll be seeing some movement shortly on the citizenship oath. Hoping it comes up pretty quickly as I’m due to be in the UK end of June and will obviously need to get my passport applied for.

Last edited by ChrisBan; Feb 11th 2022 at 2:29 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 3:14 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Application shows updated today but citizenship oath still shows not started and no other visible changes in the application history, so hoping I’ll be seeing some movement shortly on the citizenship oath. Hoping it comes up pretty quickly as I’m due to be in the UK end of June and will obviously need to get my passport applied for.
My partner logged into the system today and saw the same thing you have seen and she too is waiting for notification to take the oath. Here's hoping that more information on what was updated will be forthcoming shortly!
Old Feb 11th 2022, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sharkus
My partner logged into the system today and saw the same thing you have seen and she too is waiting for notification to take the oath. Here's hoping that more information on what was updated will be forthcoming shortly!
fantastic news!!! Fingers crossed!
Old Feb 13th 2022, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

So an update from me...

It looks like a lot has been done recently as there seems to be a few of us in a similar position.

I completed my citizenship test on January 17th and now everything but the ceremony has been updated to 'completed'. Hopefully this final stage moves along fairly quickly but I appreciate it my still be a few months away at this point. Maybe a spring ceremony?!

My timeline:

Mailed application: August 2020
AOR: December 2020
Cit Test: January 2022

So, I had a VERY long wait with absolutely nothing happening. I have had to renew my PR card also in this time.

Exciting stuff.
Old Feb 13th 2022, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Curlew is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, yes quite a relief that the end is almost in sight after 19 months. I guess I'll just have to apply for a passport right away, get the photos signed whilst waiting for the citizenship certificate.
Good luck all those still in the pipeline!

Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2022, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

so yep it was background update of citizenship ceremony, so I imagine your partner will see the update today (or shortly) in her account. Scheduled for March 10th
Old Feb 15th 2022, 12:52 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

so yep it was background update of citizenship ceremony, so I imagine your partner will see the update today (or shortly) in her account. Scheduled for March 10th
I came in to post that she logged in and saw the background check as completed, no movement on some of the other in progress things though, maybe they'll flick over to complete very soon and we'll have the oath date. Thanks for the update
Old Feb 15th 2022, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I came in to post that she logged in and saw the background check as completed, no movement on some of the other in progress things though, maybe they'll flick over to complete very soon and we'll have the oath date. Thanks for the update
Hi Sharkus,

Hope all is well.

From the point of application submission, how long after was it that you noticed the background check was completed? Is the background check usually the first hurdle, in the sense that is that always the first to change to "completed" as part of the process?

Many many thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.