British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Citizenship Application Timeline (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/citizenship-application-timeline-884075/)

Pudseytwo Jun 6th 2018 1:48 pm

Re: Citizenship Application Timeline

Hi Graham, thanks for your response. Guess I will have to get back on the physical prescence calculator :(

graham1710 Jun 6th 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pudseytwo (Post 12511475)
Hi Graham, thanks for your response. Guess I will have to get back on the physical prescence calculator :(

Did you not photocopy your entire application before sending it? That's what I did, so just printed that and took it with me.

I doubt they'll need it. They certainly didn't for me, and I was one of the lucky few randomly selected for the quality assurance exercise and all the extra scrutiny that brought. So if I didn't need it, I can't imagine you would. That being said, if you were unlucky and they did ask for it but you didn't bring it, you'd probably kick yourself!

Pudseytwo Jun 6th 2018 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by graham1710 (Post 12511477)
Did you not photocopy your entire application before sending it? That's what I did, so just printed that and took it with me.

I doubt they'll need it. They certainly didn't for me, and I was one of the lucky few randomly selected for the quality assurance exercise and all the extra scrutiny that brought. So if I didn't need it, I can't imagine you would. That being said, if you were unlucky and they did ask for it but you didn't bring it, you'd probably kick yourself!

Hi again, I copied the application and didn't really think about the physical presence form etc, I'll just do it again, I have copies of all passports etc, do you need two more photographs? as that is on the original application checklist :/ Sorry to ask but I sometimes read into things more than I should.

graham1710 Jun 6th 2018 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pudseytwo (Post 12511484)
Hi again, I copied the application and didn't really think about the physical presence form etc, I'll just do it again, I have copies of all passports etc, do you need two more photographs? as that is on the original application checklist :/ Sorry to ask but I sometimes read into things more than I should.

Haha, I can be the same.

But nope, I didn't bring more photos. You already submitted the originals of those, so no need to bring more originals. That's presumably why they didn't need the form or physical presence calculator, because they already had the originals. But since it was super easy to quickly print a copy, I brought them anyway. It also gave me a chance to give myself a quick reminder of what I said in both since it had been a few months since I sent it. Everything was obviously the truth but if they happened to ask about a specific trip, I might not remember off the top of my head what it was for and then look suspicious!

Pudseytwo Jun 6th 2018 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by graham1710 (Post 12511489)
Haha, I can be the same.

But nope, I didn't bring more photos. You already submitted the originals of those, so no need to bring more originals. That's presumably why they didn't need the form or physical presence calculator, because they already had the originals. But since it was super easy to quickly print a copy, I brought them anyway. It also gave me a chance to give myself a quick reminder of what I said in both since it had been a few months since I sent it. Everything was obviously the truth but if they happened to ask about a specific trip, I might not remember off the top of my head what it was for and then look suspicious!

I'm printing everything off again - lol God help me if they ask any questions about the past, I have a terrible memory for anything, I'm just really glad that I am too old to have to take the test (56 tomorrow, day of the test) I would probably have failed miserably - lol Thanks again for your help :)

graham1710 Jun 6th 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pudseytwo (Post 12511497)
I'm printing everything off again - lol God help me if they ask any questions about the past, I have a terrible memory for anything, I'm just really glad that I am too old to have to take the test (56 tomorrow, day of the test) I would probably have failed miserably - lol Thanks again for your help :)

Haha, lucky you!

Just remember to actually bring the originals (not copies) of any copies you submitted. I forget now what was on the list, but the obvious things are passport, driving license, PR card. They had written on the board during the test to have your original COPR ready, but I was personally never asked for that. I'm sure there were a few other originals, but I can't recall the list now (and besides, I had some extra things due to the quality assurance thing). Easier to have than not have!

Enjoy!

Pudseytwo Jun 8th 2018 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by graham1710 (Post 12511501)
Haha, lucky you!

Just remember to actually bring the originals (not copies) of any copies you submitted. I forget now what was on the list, but the obvious things are passport, driving license, PR card. They had written on the board during the test to have your original COPR ready, but I was personally never asked for that. I'm sure there were a few other originals, but I can't recall the list now (and besides, I had some extra things due to the quality assurance thing). Easier to have than not have!

Enjoy!

Well all went well, my husband and daughter took the test and got a 19/20 and a 17/20, in our interview all she asked for was our passports and our last expired passports and drivers licences, just got to wait for our ceremony dates now - Phew! got there in the end ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
Thanks everybody for your help ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Princesstigger Jun 29th 2018 2:50 pm

My application just went to โ€˜in processโ€™ just over three months after AOR

sliam37 Jul 7th 2018 2:42 am

Sent out application 20th April, just got AOR this afternoon. Hurrah. So far.... a million times easier than residency!
Since Canada has not made it to the World Cup, I am assuming it is not some sort of trick ร  la Norman Tebbit's infamous cricket test, and I am still allowed to fly my England flag and cheer (!) tomorrow morning but still be considered for citizenship!
And for the record, I am just so happy that the rules changed - under the previous system we couldn't even have applied until August 2020. I feel so excited to have the opportunity to be a citizen and be able to vote!

Twitcher1958 Jul 7th 2018 7:24 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 12499417)
Can someone tell me what happens when they make a decision -are we notified by email or snailmail? And if you get a test date can you change the date?
We are travelling back to Uk for a wedding in 3 weeks time for a fortnight and just hoping they dont decide to schedule it while we are away..

We tried to investigate changing date of test but could not get any feel from them as to how easy this would be so in the end we changed other arrangements to ensure we could meet their dates. A little frustrating because on both occasions (test/interview and ceremony), we were only given about 10 days notice (Scarborough). Fortunately we were able to make it work but attending a wedding is outside your control. Good luck!

graham1710 Jul 23rd 2018 2:08 pm

We became citizens on July 19th, 2018. Woohoo! :-)

Thanks again to everyone for all their help.

Graham.

benlast Jul 25th 2018 5:49 pm

A quick update with my timeline...

Arrived in Vancouver 2013-09-30, as a temporary skilled worker
British Columbia PNP sponsorship for PR - accepted 2014-05-14, PR granted 2015-08-25
Citizenship application sent 2017-11-27, acknowledged 2018-02-05, invited for test 2018-06-11, ceremony 2018-08-10

Princesstigger Jul 27th 2018 3:38 pm

Received an email on July 25th inviting me to a my citizenship test in Saskatoon on 9th aug. The email says I can request a test in Regina, closer to where I live, but it may be a 2 to 4 month wait.... so Iโ€™m going to make the road trip. Feeling nervous now, but know I have done a lot of studying so should be fine. Feels surreal right now! Exciting times

jamesmc Jul 29th 2018 6:44 pm

Winnipeg office seems to be the slowest at citizenship by a long way , like to give out fingerprint requests like candy or so it seems not everyone I know going through the process can have someone with the same name in Canada.. Thank goodness the fingerprints are free when going for citizenship through local rcmp office.

sebjohnson93 Aug 4th 2018 6:42 am

I applied for citizenship the day after a good friend of mine and he ended up receiving AOR and then asked to take his test almost immediately and I have not heard anything back. My current processing times are:

Sent Application - March 8th
AOR - April 13th

Still waiting for further info. Anyone else in a similar situation or is this pretty normal?

Have a great weekend!