Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship application days date counting query

Citizenship application days date counting query

Old Jan 8th 2020, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship application days date counting query

I hope you all had a great holiday and ready for the new yearI can't believe i am writing this as time flew by. i remember my nervous excitement when i penned my first question about IEC 2015 and 2016, my 2017 BOWP/Landing questions. This community has been a lifeline for me, and I sent many of my countryfolk to this site when they had questions about migrating to Canada.

After some time enjoying myself in Toronto, I (hope) will soon be eligible to apply for citizenship and complete this marvelous journey. Once more I have a timeline question, I would kindly as for your advice.

I activated my IEC on 14/12/2015 and stayed in Toronto until 08/01/2016 (had to return to UK to wrap up my work). Moved to Toronto on 01/04/2016 and have been living ever since. I became a permanent resident 01/10/2017. Yay!

I have been counting and looking forward to applying for my citizenship. I have uncertainty about my date eligibility. So here goes:

While I was on IEC work permit, I was travelling a lot to US for work. Of the 683 days on IEC, I was absent for 151 days (532 days present in Canada)

While on PR of the 844 days (so far) I was out of Canada for 15 days (829 days present in Canada)

I read on Canada immigration website, the days you were on temporary work permit count as 0.5 towards citizenship application..

My IEC counts 532*0.5 = 266 days in Canada

My PR = 829

266+829=1095. I think by 01/March/2020, I would surpass the minimum days of 1095 and should be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Is my calculation correct or did a wrong calculation?

As ever very grateful for your feedback.

Shenkor
Old Jan 8th 2020, 11:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application days date counting query

HI

Originally Posted by Shenkor
I hope you all had a great holiday and ready for the new yearI can't believe i am writing this as time flew by. i remember my nervous excitement when i penned my first question about IEC 2015 and 2016, my 2017 BOWP/Landing questions. This community has been a lifeline for me, and I sent many of my countryfolk to this site when they had questions about migrating to Canada.

After some time enjoying myself in Toronto, I (hope) will soon be eligible to apply for citizenship and complete this marvelous journey. Once more I have a timeline question, I would kindly as for your advice.

I activated my IEC on 14/12/2015 and stayed in Toronto until 08/01/2016 (had to return to UK to wrap up my work). Moved to Toronto on 01/04/2016 and have been living ever since. I became a permanent resident 01/10/2017. Yay!

I have been counting and looking forward to applying for my citizenship. I have uncertainty about my date eligibility. So here goes:

While I was on IEC work permit, I was travelling a lot to US for work. Of the 683 days on IEC, I was absent for 151 days (532 days present in Canada)

While on PR of the 844 days (so far) I was out of Canada for 15 days (829 days present in Canada)

I read on Canada immigration website, the days you were on temporary work permit count as 0.5 towards citizenship application..

My IEC counts 532*0.5 = 266 days in Canada

My PR = 829

266+829=1095. I think by 01/March/2020, I would surpass the minimum days of 1095 and should be eligible to apply for citizenship.

Is my calculation correct or did a wrong calculation?

As ever very grateful for your feedback.

Shenkor
1. Let CIC do the math, use the citizenship calculator here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citize...ligibility.asp
Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

OP, you may find the US I-94 website useful in obtaining the dates you entered and exited the US. You can enter your details and get the record held for you.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home
Old Jan 9th 2020, 7:44 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
OP, you may find the US I-94 website useful in obtaining the dates you entered and exited the US. You can enter your details and get the record held for you.

Adding to that, I would suggest you do an FOI request to US border agency and one to CBSA before sending your application. Although with the latter you give permission for IRCC to get this info, I found it useful having this before hand to make sure all my dates were correct.

allow 30-90 days depending on wait times to get this info
Old Jan 10th 2020, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

1. Let CIC do the math, use the citizenship calculator here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citize...ligibility.asp
Thanks for the feedback. this is super helpful for the counting process.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Adding to that, I would suggest you do an FOI request to US border agency and one to CBSA before sending your application. Although with the latter you give permission for IRCC to get this info, I found it useful having this before hand to make sure all my dates were correct.

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

Thanks for your suggestion, i did use the link to verify if my excel file dates were correct and found out i missed a couple of travel dates. Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2020, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

Thanks beckiwoo for this feedback. I have no travel planned to US in the next 6 months, would it make sense apply for the US FOI now, given the time line you mentioned?
Old Jan 10th 2020, 11:27 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks beckiwoo for this feedback. I have no travel planned to US in the next 6 months, would it make sense apply for the US FOI now, given the time line you mentioned?
This is the website:

https://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia

You put in your information and send it to them online. You can check on the status as well.

I thought I remember them putting their estimated timescales up for the requests but it will be at least 30 days if not more
Old Jan 12th 2020, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add as didnt see it specifically mentioned that people often recommend not applying exactly on day 1096 but to have a few months buffer beyond the 1095 especially where someone has a lot of travel that has the possibility to come under some scrutiny. Decision is yours of course.
Old Jan 13th 2020, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PB65
Just to add as didnt see it specifically mentioned that people often recommend not applying exactly on day 1096 but to have a few months buffer beyond the 1095 especially where someone has a lot of travel that has the possibility to come under some scrutiny. Decision is yours of course.
Sound advice. I am just anxious to start the process as i am not certain what my travel schedule will be like after April? If i have to travel a lot again like in the past, i am unlikely to be willing to do this and may be forced to seek new job. i am on temp contract, therefore have budgeted for should i become unemployed, for up to 3 months (i see the job market is not as easy as UK).

Would me being unemployed immediately before applying or during the process (for couple of months or so) has any impact on my application? I have sufficient funds to show to IRCC/CIC if they ask.

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2020, 8:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Would me being unemployed immediately before applying or during the process (for couple of months or so) has any impact on my application? I have sufficient funds to show to IRCC/CIC if they ask.
No. There's no income/employment requirement for citizenship.