Citizenship application

Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold
Default Citizenship application

Hi All
We are here since 2003 and are PR since 2005. I qualify to apply for citizenship but my oh has travelled so much out of Canada for work that he is 61 days short for physical presence. The residence calculator says he will accumulate enough days on 10 May 2008. The problem is he is going to be travelling a lot again so will never be able to catch up. He has worked for the same company since moving here (in fact for the past 14 years) and it is for them that he goes abroad, mainly to the US.

Is it worth submitting his application anyway, maybe with a letter explaining his job and the reason for number of absences? The CIC website says the application will take longer and will go before a judge to determine his eligibility.

Also would submitting his application with mine and the kids slow ours down as well? Is it better or worse to submit his separately?
Has anyone been in this situation and what was the outcome?
Ta
Old Dec 29th 2007, 11:32 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application

I would suggest he apply too with the explanation and evidence of his job requirement to travel extensively.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I was just going to ask this as well as travel is part of my job even as self employed. Once I'm in the country I want citizenship as soon as.

Canada should recognize that some jobs require travel.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I was just going to ask this as well as travel is part of my job even as self employed. Once I'm in the country I want citizenship as soon as.

Canada should recognize that some jobs require travel.
I guess they could argue that immigrants should get a job mostly based in Canada as that is the point in emigrating? I've never understood those that get here, take a job in the Middle East for a Canadian company then go live there for 4-5 years. I'm sure the money is good but isn't the whole point to actually live here or is that just me?!

Last edited by mc_dub; Jan 3rd 2008 at 8:52 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mc_dub
I guess they could argue that immigrants should get a job mostly based in Canada as that is the point in emigrating?
Somewhat. But if you get a job for a Canadian company that sends you abroad for three months a year, you'll never get citizenship though the normal route even though you spend most of your time in Canada.

There's a fine line between giving citizenship to people who legitimately want to be Canadians and giving it to people who are just taking the piss.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkG
Somewhat. But if you get a job for a Canadian company that sends you abroad for three months a year, you'll never get citizenship though the normal route even though you spend most of your time in Canada.

There's a fine line between giving citizenship to people who legitimately want to be Canadians and giving it to people who are just taking the piss.
Then for me the job would be a no-go, at least until I get citizenship.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 8:55 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

i would need to do a thorough search on that but if i'm not very much mistaken if you can prove that your canadian employer sent you abroad you are able to get citizenship. i guess it's not the simplest and shortest way because an interview with a citizenship judge would be involved - but it should be doable?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lof
i would need to do a thorough search on that but if i'm not very much mistaken if you can prove that your canadian employer sent you abroad you are able to get citizenship.
Working abroad for a Canadian company counts towards PR residency requirements, but not towards citizenship. As you say, you'd need to argue your case with a citizenship judge.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:29 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Working abroad for a Canadian company counts towards PR residency requirements, but not towards citizenship. As you say, you'd need to argue your case with a citizenship judge.
oups - sorry. of course you are right.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of upsetting anyone, is there actually a major benefit to Canadian Citizenship?

As far as I can see it merely opens up a few Civil Service jobs not otherwise available and enables one to vote.

I'm not impressed with the political side of things here nor the motives of those in government. Politicians here seem far more self serving than in the UK.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
At the risk of upsetting anyone, is there actually a major benefit to Canadian Citizenship?

As far as I can see it merely opens up a few Civil Service jobs not otherwise available and enables one to vote.
The main benefit for me is entering the US. It's a breeze. The (British) OH gets fingerprinted and photographed, I just flash my citizenship card. I can stay 6mths instead of his 3mths, that will be useful in retirement no doubt.

Also gives you options with regard to Nafta TN visas, if your qualification is on a certain list.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 11:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
The main benefit for me is entering the US. It's a breeze. The (British) OH gets fingerprinted and photographed, I just flash my citizenship card. I can stay 6mths instead of his 3mths, that will be useful in retirement no doubt.
Although it is worth pointing out that Canadian citizens can be (and often are) subject to exactly the same questioning to ensure that they are bona-fide visitors to the U.S.

Passport free travel across the frontier will end in 2009.

The administrative formalities are simpler for Canadian citizens, but the requirements themselves are the same.

A retired British citizen could usually get a B2 tourist visa to allow 6 months.

The rights of Canadian citizens include:

* Able to vote and to run for political office upon reaching the age of 18.
* Able to obtain a Canadian passport and enjoy Canadian consular protection.
* Able to prevent risk of getting deported from Canada
* Able to work for the Federal government (where citizenship is usually required/preferred)
* Allowed to live outside Canada indefinitely while retaining the right to return
* Able to pass on Canadian citizenship to children born outside Canada.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 3rd 2008 at 11:58 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
For me it's personal. Not having to cringe and feel physically ill having to pull out my current passport whenever I travel anywhere. I hate not being Canadian.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

marielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to all

Is it worth submitting his application anyway, maybe with a letter explaining his job and the reason for number of absences? The CIC website says the application will take longer and will go before a judge to determine his eligibility.

Also would submitting his application with mine and the kids slow ours down as well? Is it better or worse to submit his separately?
Has anyone been in this situation and what was the outcome?
Ta [/QUOTE]

If I were you I would submitt my application and the kids right now.

Imagine he gets a wonderful job in the US and the whole family has to move there; you may all lose even your PR status. On the other hand if you and your kids file you will become Canadian Citizens after a few months (even if you move the day after filing). If you and if all want to come back in the future you, as a Canadian Citizen, will be able to sponsor him easily (I have a girl friend who passed through exactly the same and they all had to go to the Middle East for 5 years; she and her kids were already Canadian, they returned 6 months ago and her husband got the PR Card in only 4 months).

Your husband's experience with the Immigration Judge could be a long and frustrating experience; get your citizenship ASAP! as a Canadian citizen you will be your husband's best help to come back if anything happens.

All the best,

Marie