Wikiposts

Citizenship

Old May 15th 2011, 6:20 am
Just Joined

kudos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship

Forgive me if this is a silly question but if I was to apply for canadian citizenship and it was granted what would one's nationality be? (Born and currently live in the UK)

i.e. Canadian, Canadian British or British?

Also once my british passport runs out, am I right in thinking I have to get a Canadian passport or British passport?

Can't wait!
Old May 15th 2011, 6:43 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Citizenship

As both Canada and the UK allow dual citizenship you will be both Canadian and British. You may hold both, either or neither passports as you wish.

Is this just a theoretical question? I just wonder how you plan on applying for Canadian Citizenship from the UK?
Old May 15th 2011, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BTJ
As both Canada and the UK allow dual citizenship you will be both Canadian and British. You may hold both, either or neither passports as you wish.

Is this just a theoretical question? I just wonder how you plan on applying for Canadian Citizenship from the UK?
Absolutely!

I'm not going to immigrate to a country without having a serious Plan A & B. I was just asking this for future reference.

I'm currently studying my Economics finals at University and plan to immigrate to Canada once complete. Either to further study (MBA) or to find work fresh out of University.

I think I'll let my current passport expire without replenishing it and opt to gain a canadian passport. Can anyone share the downsides to this? i.e. if I want to move back after I gain citizenship, I'm guessing I cannot on a canadian passport.

As I say there is a lot of planning to be done, but I get goosebumps thinking about life in Canada.

I will be studying in Toronto and then moving to Ottawa later on. I've been to ottawa 3 times in last couple of years and it seems such a beautiful place to be. Kind of expensive though.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:23 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Are your parents Canadian? If not there are a few years and many expensive steps to take before you can even think about getting a Canadian passport.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BTJ
Are your parents Canadian? If not there are a few years and many expensive steps to take before you can even think about getting a Canadian passport.
No but my Grandparents where.

I believe it's three/four years before you can apply and you have to live there permanently. This contradicts my original post as I'm going to have to reapply for my British passport in any case as it runs out next year.

Lots of planning to be done but I can't wait.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:34 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Originally Posted by kudos
No but my Grandparents where.

I believe it's three/four years before you can apply and you have to live there permanently. This contradicts my original post as I'm going to have to reapply for my British passport in any case as it runs out next year.

Lots of planning to be done but I can't wait.
Yes you will definitely need to renew your British passport. If your grandparents are Canadian your parents may be Canadian by descent, in which case they may be able to sponsor you to become a Canadian Permanent Resident (PR). Worth looking into.

Else you are essentially looking at travelling to Canada on a Study Permit, looking for a job on a Post-Graduation Work Permit after the MBA, then applying for PR if your employer gives you a permanent job offer, and then after living in Canada for some time you may apply for Citizenship.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BTJ

Else you are essentially looking at travelling to Canada on a Study Permit, looking for a job on a Post-Graduation Work Permit after the MBA, then applying for PR if your employer gives you a permanent job offer, and then after living in Canada for some time you may apply for Citizenship.
Blimey, that's certainly long winded when you put it like that.

Thank's for your help. I'm not sure if my father is Canadian by decent. I believe he was born in Canada, but moved to England with his mother. I'll ask him next time I see him.

My parents are unsure about my choice to move to Canada but thats understandable as I will be in the wilderness on my own. Still, I'm 100% sure its the right choice.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:47 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

Blimey, that's certainly long winded when you put it like that.

Thank's for your help. I'm not sure if my father is Canadian by decent. I believe he was born in Canada, but moved to England with his mother. I'll ask him next time I see him.

My parents are unsure about my choice to move to Canada but thats understandable as I will be in the wilderness on my own. Still, I'm 100% sure its the right choice.
If your father was born in Canada, he is pretty likely a Canadian and you are likely already Canadian by descent.

Here is a Citizenship test to check if you are Canadian.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp

If you are a Canadian then you can apply to the Canadian London High Commission for a Citizenship Certificate, which takes a very long time (for some reason) ~1 year, and then apply for a Canadian Passport.
Old May 15th 2011, 1:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me if this is a silly question but if I was to apply for canadian citizenship and it was granted what would one's nationality be? (Born and currently live in the UK)

i.e. Canadian, Canadian British or British?
You will be a Canadian citizen. Whether you stay a British citizen is nothing to do with Canada. In fact, British citizens do keep citizenship upon acquiring another, but some other categories of British national do not.

Also once my british passport runs out, am I right in thinking I have to get a Canadian passport or British passport?
Most dual Canada/British citizens maintain both passports. However, in this case, you usually have to have the passport of the country you are living in. Whether you choose to have the passport of the other country is up to you, but it's usually better to have it - as getting a new one can take months and if you need it in a hurry, that's a problem.