Citizenship

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Irri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship

I have dual nationality (British/Canadian) and was wondering if renouncing my British citizenship could have any negative aspects on my Canadian citizenship.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 11:25 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship

Don't see why it would cause a problem with Canadian Citizenship.
Why do you want to renounce your British Citizenship? When I have Canadian Citizenship I'm certainly keeping my British one too, as I feel dual nationality could have benefits over simply just having Canadian Citizenship.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the response. I didn't think it would be a problem, but it's nice to have a second opinion.

In answer to the question "why?" disgust and embarrassment, really. In Sweden my girlfriend was allowed to live and work because I am an EU citizen. In India she was allowed to be with me on a tourist visa. In my my home country, she isn't even granted a tourist visa. Even if we apply for a finacee visa we have to say when, where, and who will be attending our wedding. I find it hard to find anything I like about the UK other than BBC Radio 4. I can get that on iPlayer in Canada.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:15 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Irri
Thanks for the response. I didn't think it would be a problem, but it's nice to have a second opinion.

In answer to the question "why?" disgust and embarrassment, really. In Sweden my girlfriend was allowed to live and work because I am an EU citizen. In India she was allowed to be with me on a tourist visa. In my my home country, she isn't even granted a tourist visa. Even if we apply for a finacee visa we have to say when, where, and who will be attending our wedding. I find it hard to find anything I like about the UK other than BBC Radio 4. I can get that on iPlayer in Canada.
Surely that is just the UK Border Agency doing their job?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Galacticos is an unknown quantity at this point

Really?? Wow UK immigration policies are so messed up.

Another gud reason why i want to get outta here.

I personally will keep Dual nationality so i can come home and see family, and travel throughout the EU on holidays without having to worry about paperwork, visa's etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

I guess that depends what their job is. If their job is to hit a target number of people immigrating to the UK regardless of circumstances and keeping costs to a minimum, they are probably doing it. If they are trying to distinguish between trafficking of people into the UK versus genuine relationships, then no, they aren't.

In Sweden, they interviewed us and it was obvious to them that we were a couple. In the UK they want us to provide quotes for the catering for our planned wedding. That's like asking people if they plan to crash the plane when they board.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:19 am
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

Quite honestly, my advice is keep your British Citizenship. As peeved off as you might be, only you will loose out by renouncing it.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Renounce it. Once you do, unless you have citizenship of another EU country, you will also lose your entitlement to live and work anywhere within the EU without another visa. Sounds like the reasonable thing to do. How dare the British Authorities apply their policies against your girlfriend. Shame on them
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

In answer to the question "why?" disgust and embarrassment, really. In Sweden my girlfriend was allowed to live and work because I am an EU citizen.
You worked in Sweden and she had a Residence Card as a family member of an EU citizen? When was this?

If so you can likely have entered the Uk on the basis of EU law. The application is simple free and fast. No need to mess with spouse visas.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

In Sweden they have what is called a "sambo." If you are living with someone they are your sambo. The sambo of an EU citizen is allowed to live and work there. It was just over a year ago.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

In Sweden they have what is called a "sambo." If you are living with someone they are your sambo. The sambo of an EU citizen is allowed to live and work there. It was just over a year ago.
If you have a long-term relationship with your partner ("sambo" is nice!), when they are accompanying you they have the same free movement rights in the EU that you do. For you as a British citizen, that applies whenever you move to any non-UK EU country.

After you have been working in another EU country, then your sambo can move back to the UK on the basis of European law. See http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007...-national-law/

I should note that, because the entry would be under Eu law, your sambo would not be required to pay a huge fee for the visa, do the "life in the UK" test, or prove english capability. And you would not need to apply later for ILR and pay again.

I would keep the British citizenship. No need to cut off your nose to spite your face. There will always be British politicians who make stupid policy (though that is not unique to the UK), but there are also a lot of good things to being British!

Last edited by bewillow; Mar 23rd 2011 at 3:26 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wow. Are you sure about this? Even though we aren't married, she can just come in under EU law and live and work?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I assume you have been living together for a while and have a real and ongoing relationship. And that you were working in Sweden.

Read up on Directive 2004/38/EC

Where are you living right now?
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

We've been in a relationship for over two and have a fair bit of evidence of that. Not sure if it's enough for the unmarried visa so we were thinking of the fiancee visa. I was working in Sweden then we moved to India in Feb 2010. We left India in Dec 2010.

I'll take a look at the directive.

I'm in the UK at the moment.