Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship 1095 days impossible to track!

Citizenship 1095 days impossible to track!

Old Dec 6th 2012, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough
Default Citizenship 1095 days impossible to track!

I am in the process of applying for myself and my OH citizenship's.

I have traveled for business frequently over the last 4 years.
I am border line maintaining the required 1095 days in the last 4 years.

However I am finding it very difficult to document all my trips.

1. Firstly I have documented all the trips with Canada entrance stamps.

2. One issue since the automatic entrance machines were established at Vancouver airport, there have been trips were I've entered Canada, scanned my pr card, handed my declaration doc in, then the border guy didn't stamp my Passport.

3. In 2009 and 2010 the majority of my trips were to the US and UK. I usually flew from the states and back into the states. So for all these trips, I have only USA entrance stamps. My trips varied between 1 weeks and 2 weeks at a time. Finding it hard to pin exact dates and duration that I was absent from Canada

Can CBSA keep a track of the days away from Canada? When exiting/entering from Land via car?

Do they keep records of the days absent declared on declaration cards?

Will they have access to flight details when you leave Canada?

On the declaration you have to tick to allow CIC to contact CBSA to verify information provided. It is a criminal offence to mislead on the application. I don't want to have my application refused for incorrect information. I have been as honest as I can.

Any help/information appreciated. I have tried calling CBSA but have not been able to speak to anyone as yet!

Last edited by scottymallo; Dec 6th 2012 at 1:54 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship 1095 days impossible to track!

I believe you can request your travel record from CBSA. When I was investigating the citizenship process before I applied I remember finding information about it on some other immigration forums when CIC asked applicants to provide proof of their travels.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I believe you can request your travel record from CBSA. When I was investigating the citizenship process before I applied I remember finding information about it on some other immigration forums when CIC asked applicants to provide proof of their travels.
I was told there are 2 ways of doing it.

1) Use the form (attached) to obtain records via the ICES

2) Write requesting records under the Access to information Act.

Draft letter:

Canada Border Services Agency
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
410 Laurier Avenue West, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0L8

Dear ATIP Coordinator:

Pursuant to the Privacy Act, R.S.C. 1985 c. P-21, I seek access to and copies of traveller history for myself and my vehicle(s).

I am a permanent resident of Canada currently present in Canada. I wish to receive all copies of records held and request to examine the information as-is, I do not require translation.

To assist with your search for these records, I am providing the following additional information about myself:

Full Name:
Date Birth:
Travel Document Type:
Travel Document Number:
Permanent Resident ID number:

I am also providing the following information about my vehicle(s):

License Number:
Province/State:

I authorize and consent to the disclosure of my personal information.

Please find enclosed copies of my passport and vehicle registration(s).

Should you have any questions you may contact me at:

Phone:
Email:

Thank you for your consideration of this request. I will look forward to receiving your prompt reply in due course.

Sincerely,

Attached Files
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by siouxie
I was told there are 2 ways of doing it.

1) Use the form (attached) to obtain records via the ICES

2) Write requesting records under the Access to information Act.

Draft letter:

Canada Border Services Agency
Access to Information and Privacy Coordinator
410 Laurier Avenue West, 11th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0L8

Dear ATIP Coordinator:

Pursuant to the Privacy Act, R.S.C. 1985 c. P-21, I seek access to and copies of traveller history for myself and my vehicle(s).

I am a permanent resident of Canada currently present in Canada. I wish to receive all copies of records held and request to examine the information as-is, I do not require translation.

To assist with your search for these records, I am providing the following additional information about myself:

Full Name:
Date Birth:
Travel Document Type:
Travel Document Number:
Permanent Resident ID number:

I am also providing the following information about my vehicle(s):

License Number:
Province/State:

I authorize and consent to the disclosure of my personal information.

Please find enclosed copies of my passport and vehicle registration(s).

Should you have any questions you may contact me at:

Phone:
Email:

Thank you for your consideration of this request. I will look forward to receiving your prompt reply in due course.

Sincerely,

Thanks for the information provided great help!
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I understand there is a $5 charge for this service.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottymallo
I understand there is a $5 charge for this service.
You're quite correct to believe it is a rip off.

Then again, you could have simple kept a note of your trips yourself.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

If life was that easy we wouldn't need a forum like this! 5 bucks thought that was a bargain. I was expecting more it is actually $5 for 5 mins search if it takes longer you will get an additional bill with the response.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:23 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

to be fair , its not that it is impossible to track. It is just that you haven't tracked it.

As soon as we realised that Ben would be traveliing a lot for work , we started up a spreadsheet to track every single NIGHT out of the country.

It made our application a lot easier. Although to be honest , all the guy did at our test was match the days on the spreadsheet to the stamps in the passport. I guess iuf you have no stamps then they can't match them up!
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

I've been tracking mine on a spreadsheet. From the day I landed last August and accounted for any time spend outside of Canada.

If you have made your own records do you need any documentary evidence of trips, or is it sufficient to just keep your own records of your trips unless they ask for further documents?

Wayne.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:04 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I had to keep a record of every trip I made and as most of my time was spent out side of Canada's geographic borders was very helpful. Fortunately my office went with me and was considered 'Canadian turf', so my time counted for citizenship, I just supplied a copy of my logbook. I got into a bit of a discussion with the authorities over it, but we managed to sort it out quite easily in the end as I could not work without leaving the country.

Anyone wanting to get citizenship and traveling outside of Canada overnight would be sensible to keep a written record of each and every trip and the reason for the trip.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

I keep a log with the trip and reason (e.g. Detroit (Business), Las Vegas (Vacation), the dates from and to, and the number of totals outside Canada on the trip (counting the first and last day of the trip completely outside Canada to be on the safe side).

I then have some calculations which take the date I landed, grab today's date, and deduct the days outside Canada from my log to arrive at a total number of days in Canada.

For example since landing on 27 Aug 2011 I have spent 42 days outside of Canada (mainly cos I went back to the UK for a month after landing, but also a few other holidays and business trips), so currently have 429 days within Canada which would count towards my citizenship application.

Probably looking at applying for Citizenship around early 2015.

Wayne.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
I've been tracking mine on a spreadsheet. From the day I landed last August and accounted for any time spend outside of Canada.

If you have made your own records do you need any documentary evidence of trips, or is it sufficient to just keep your own records of your trips unless they ask for further documents?

Wayne.
When you submit the citizenship application, it asks you for any dates spent out of Canada. We supplied these as we had kept track of such dates. At the test, when all our documents were checked, they wanted to cross reference all trips with stamps in passports etc.

IIRC one of the trips we had provided, could not be reconciled with a stamp in our passports. I believe that this was a land crossing. We were questionned about it and offered up our answer. Their reply was "Oh yeah, that sometimes happens at land crossings"
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The best idea may be to enter trips into CIC's online residency calculator as you make them; from what I remember you can save the form there and update over time, so once you hit the 1095 days it will all be ready to print out and submit.