Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

CIC will request skill workers attend IELTS?

CIC will request skill workers attend IELTS?

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default CIC will request skill workers attend IELTS?

Do you know details? Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:53 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CIC will request skill workers attend IELTS?

Most visa posts already for few years ask all applicants who are not native English speakers to submit IELTS results, regardless how long they already live in predominantly English country. Some visa posts require IELTS to be submitted with application while some ask for it later, in the update request letter. Sorry, but there is no way out of it already.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Most visa posts already for few years ask all applicants who are not native English speakers to submit IELTS results, regardless how long they already live in predominantly English country. Some visa posts require IELTS to be submitted with application while some ask for it later, in the update request letter. Sorry, but there is no way out of it already.
But Skilled workers no need applicant attend IELTS, although I think most of the applicant cannot exempt IELTS because of non-native speakers or not enough marks

I would like to ask, if someone's Bachelor and Master Degree was taught in English, but he is non-native English speaker, CIC treated his english ability equivalent to what level of IELTS in general? IELTS 5? 7? Or others? Thank you

Last edited by immigrants; Jun 2nd 2008 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:20 pm

As I said - most (if not all) visa posts already require IELTS as standard policy from all non-native English speakers.

CIC is no longer doing any guess work based on claims of education in English as there were too many applicants who regardless living for decade or longer in US and gaining there their Masters and PhD's had extreme difficulties understanding questions asked during selection interview.

Fact that education's language was English proves nothing - with lack of IELTS results officers were required to assess language abilities using this, over 200 pages long manual:

http://www.language.ca/pdfs/clb_adults.pdf

Finally, due to extremely time consuming process of assessing language proficiency using the above now visa posts ask for IELTS test results.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

As I said - most (if not all) visa posts already require IELTS as standard policy from all non-native English speakers.

CIC is no longer doing any guess work based on claims of education in English as there were too many applicants who regardless living for decade or longer in US and gaining there their Masters and PhD's had extreme difficulties understanding questions asked during selection interview.

Fact that education's language was English proves nothing - with lack of IELTS results officers were required to assess language abilities using this, over 200 pages long manual:

http://www.language.ca/pdfs/clb_adults.pdf

Finally, due to extremely time consuming process of assessing language proficiency using the above now visa posts ask for IELTS test results.
How can I view the CIC English requirement for all kinds of visa?
e.g. Business visa requirement IELTS 6.0

I know that UK, Australia and New Zealand still reverse the rule about English taught degree exempt IELTS result, so I don't it's possible to do that, or may be change the requirement to "native speaker", not English taught degree
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:32 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew, I read a recent article with interest (and concern!) which said that CIC are considering mandatory language testing for native English speakers as well.

I did wonder if you had any further feelings on this? Would CIC be more likely to impose IELTS on native English speakers, or perhaps request an interview instead?

It seems that on one hand, CIC are striving to sort out their backlog & streamline their processes. On the other, surely imposing IELTS on a native English speaker will certainly lengthen the process. As I understand it, IELTS tests are only held on certain days & times.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:46 pm

Law doesn't allow for language proficiency assessment during interview anymore. But if officer during interview discovers that language proficiency is substantially lower from claimed and documented s/he will request another IELTS test to be taken.

Yes, CIC is considering mandatory IELTS and/or TEF, but how far they will go with native English/French speakers remains unknown for now.

Requiring test results will not delay the process as such results will be required (as they already are required by most visa posts) with application. Awarding language points on the basis of test results takes seconds, while assessing language proficiency using Canadian languages Benchmark takes hours - thus requiring test results is the only way to assure speed, equality and integrity of the process.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by immigrants
How can I view the CIC English requirement for all kinds of visa?
e.g. Business visa requirement IELTS 6.0

I know that UK, Australia and New Zealand still reverse the rule about English taught degree exempt IELTS result, so I don't it's possible to do that, or may be change the requirement to "native speaker", not English taught degree
Don't dream of having IELTS waived, it is not going to happen.

There is no minimum score requirement - proper points for language are awarded on the basis of test results in each of 4 skills (not the overall score).

Some in government (and not only) are advocating setting minimum IELTS/TEF score results at the time of application, but I don't know if it will happen. In my opinion it may be a good idea as some applicants can very easy score well above pass mark with good education of both spouses and relatives in Canada, without really having any chance for employment in Canada due to poor language proficiency.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Don't dream of having IELTS waived, it is not going to happen.

There is no minimum score requirement - proper points for language are awarded on the basis of test results in each of 4 skills (not the overall score).

Some in government (and not only) are advocating setting minimum IELTS/TEF score results at the time of application, but I don't know if it will happen. In my opinion it may be a good idea as some applicants can very easy score well above pass mark with good education of both spouses and relatives in Canada, without really having any chance for employment in Canada due to poor language proficiency.
I intend to attend IELTS and I'm preparing, IELTS average 5.0 not very hard for me.

My concern is not existing requirement, my concern is how CIC change their English requirement and what is the new requirement's threshold

Can you give me the information any CIC visa's English requirement threshold? Thank you
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:11 pm

As I have already told you in the other thread couple weeks ago - there is no threshold yet. But it likely will be in some form or another, sooner or later.

IELTS at 5.0 is very bad my friend. If you get only between 5.0 and 6.9 in each of 4 skills your total for English will only be 8 points.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jun 2nd 2008 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:13 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Andrew Miller;6428970]Yes, CIC is considering mandatory IELTS and/or TEF, but how far they will go with native English/French speakers remains unknown for now.QUOTE]

Cool, thanks Andrew. Another 'wait & see' scenario.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

As I have already told you in the other thread couple weeks ago - there is no threshold yet. But it likely will be in some form or another, sooner or later.

IELTS at 5.0 is very bad my friend.
"Most visa posts already for few years ask all applicants who are not native English speakers to submit IELTS results, regardless how long they already live in predominantly English country"

You don't mean the English requirement is mandatory? Anyway, where is the details of CIC's proposal about English requirement threshold? Or CIC even not yet published any documents about it.

I don't think I just IELTS 5.0 in average but even I get 6.5 in each component I can't get any extra marks, so that I don't think I need to pursure 5.5 or above in each component, my target is IELTS 5.0 in each component, and reading I want to pursure 7.0
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:05 pm

How many points you need for language to reach the pass mark?

CIC didn't publish anything yet about threshold.

But IELTS for claiming points for English is a must for all non-native English speakers as per current CIC's policy.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

How many points you need for language to reach the pass mark?

CIC didn't publish anything yet about threshold.

But IELTS for claiming points for English is a must for all non-native English speakers as per current CIC's policy.
I know someone who is not native English can exempt IELTS 2 years ago, but I don't know now.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:15 pm

2 years ago??? It is a long time. Things changed. Take it to the bank - you need IELTS, period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.