Wikiposts

Which CIC Office to use?

Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:22 am
Just Joined

SimonAndJuliet is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which CIC Office to use?

Hi,

My partner and myself are curently looking at applying for a permanent visa through the Skilled Worker route, but we're unsure as to which CIC office to apply under.

My nationality is British, and I was looking at being the main applicant and going through the London office, but processing times are currently 30-41 months, which is a bit longer than we anticipated. My partner has moved from Argentina to the UK, but as well as an Argentinian passport she also has an Austrian one as this is where her family comes from - though she has never lived in Austria.

Processing times in the Vienna CIC office are much shorter (10-23 months), so we are thinking of applying through that route instead, as we both have similar point scores. We are a bit unsure as to whether we're allowed to, but her Austrian passport states that she is of Austrian nationality which fits into the immigrations requirements:

Applicants for Permanent Residence
"You must apply in your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year."

Anyone able to help us out on this?

Thanks,

Simon & Juliet
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which CIC Office to use?

Originally Posted by SimonAndJuliet
Hi,

My partner and myself are curently looking at applying for a permanent visa through the Skilled Worker route, but we're unsure as to which CIC office to apply under.

My nationality is British, and I was looking at being the main applicant and going through the London office, but processing times are currently 30-41 months, which is a bit longer than we anticipated. My partner has moved from Argentina to the UK, but as well as an Argentinian passport she also has an Austrian one as this is where her family comes from - though she has never lived in Austria.

Processing times in the Vienna CIC office are much shorter (10-23 months), so we are thinking of applying through that route instead, as we both have similar point scores. We are a bit unsure as to whether we're allowed to, but her Austrian passport states that she is of Austrian nationality which fits into the immigrations requirements:

"You must apply in your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year."
It means what it says. A person resident in the U.K. with Argentine and Austrian passports has the choice of applying to three CIC offices - London, Buenos Aires or Vienna.

However you should check as this may only apply to the main applicant.

Also bear in mind that standard processing times may not apply to an "out of jurisdiction" applicant and you may have to deal with logistic issues getting your visa stamped.

Longer term, how long has your partner lived in the U.K. and does she know whether she will be allowed to keep her Argentine and Austrian passports later on when she eventually becomes a Canadian citizen?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ,

Thanks for the info.

Must admit I didn't think about the Vienna application only applying to the main applicant or the "out of jurisdiction" possibility. Will have to contact them and find out.

She's lived in the UK on and off since 2003, but going by what I've read about in other threads that it's not a problem keeping various passports. She certainly finds her Austrian one more useful in getting around Europe than her Argentine one!

Simon
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I didn't think about the Vienna application only applying to the main applicant or the "out of jurisdiction" possibility. Will have to contact them and find out.
Good luck in "contacting them". It's usually impossible to do so.

In any case, it's not clear what you are trying to find out. The information you need has already been given to you.

She's lived in the UK on and off since 2003, but going by what I've read about in other threads that it's not a problem keeping various passports. She certainly finds her Austrian one more useful in getting around Europe than her Argentine one!
She should be aware that she will lose her Austrian citizenship automatically upon becoming a Canadian citizen. The only way to avoid this is to get permission from the Austrian government in advance. I don't know how easy or hard this is to obtain (maybe harder if she has not many ties to Austria).

Has she thought about whether she would want to become a British citizen before she leaves?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Good luck in "contacting them". It's usually impossible to do so.

In any case, it's not clear what you are trying to find out. The information you need has already been given to you.

She should be aware that she will lose her Austrian citizenship automatically upon becoming a Canadian citizen. The only way to avoid this is to get permission from the Austrian government in advance. I don't know how easy or hard this is to obtain (maybe harder if she has not many ties to Austria).

Has she thought about whether she would want to become a British citizen before she leaves?
The aim was to apply through the Vienna CIC with my partner as main applicant on her Austrian passport and me as family member using my British passport. Think we'll need more info on this now before we commit the application.

We didn't realise that Austria doesn't recognise dual citizenship; and after reading about it seems it just depend on the country, even though they are all in the EU. Like you say, not being resident in Austria doesn't really help with any special permission case!

Guess if she were to lose the Austrian passport then having a British one would be worth getting, as it makes travelling in Europe a lot easier.

Thanks again for the help.

S&J
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:05 am
JAJ
Retired

The aim was to apply through the Vienna CIC with my partner as main applicant on her Austrian passport and me as family member using my British passport. Think we'll need more info on this now before we commit the application.
I don't see what the problem is. If she is Austrian she can apply to Vienna as she is the main applicant. It might be a problem if you were to be the main applicant.

Incidentally, you need to get used to the idea that if what you can see on the CIC site and these forums isn't good enough, you will need to find an experienced professional if you want "more information".

We didn't realise that Austria doesn't recognise dual citizenship; and after reading about it seems it just depend on the country, even though they are all in the EU. Like you say, not being resident in Austria doesn't really help with any special permission case!

Guess if she were to lose the Austrian passport then having a British one would be worth getting, as it makes travelling in Europe a lot easier.
Austria does allow dual citizenship in some circumstances - eg she is presumably Argentine by birth in Argentina and Austria is ok with that.

However that does not mean that Austria will take the same view if she becomes naturalised Canadian later on.

She should investigate how easy it is to get this "permission", maybe by looking online for Austrian expatriate forums where it may already have been discussed. (the current Governor of California is one who managed to keep his Austrian citizenship when he became a U.S. citizen in 1983)

She could look at this in the context of getting British citizenship. If the Austrians say "no" then she might want to swap her Austrian passport for a British one. And if they agree, then she can take out British citizenship and repeat the process some years later when she looks to become a Canadian citizen.

As to what might happen to her Argentine citizenship : contact the Argentine Embassy and get advice in writing if this is important.

But is she eligible for British citizenship? When you say she has been living in the U.K. "on and off" since 2003, what exactly do you mean by this. And have you any plans to get married?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Anyone able to help us out on this?

Thanks,

Simon & Juliet
Hi
I think some are missing the main points here. From your initial question you say that you are the main applicant. In that case you will need to apply to London. In the case of your partner, I don't think Austria comes into it as she has never lived there, certainly not for over a year, which is stipulated by CIC. Depending on how long she has lived in Argentina, she may be able to apply there, or in London where she has been living for over the magic year. As your partner, she would also have to prove the relationship with you is bona fide....so best way all round is probably to get married....drastic I know.....and apply through you in the London Office.....and join the long queue like the rest of us
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but that is my understanding of your post and the system.
Good Luck whatever you do decide to do.
Cheers
Stef and Lins
Old Sep 30th 2007, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

the big burp is on a distinguished road

yes she can apply from vienna if shes austrian.
yes austrian citizenship is complicated and she will need to get permission from austria to keep her citizenship if she wants to be come canadian. if she applies for this, i must say its not easy as austria wants o know why it is in their interest to let you be citizen of another country so you have present some good arguments to be successful - theyre pretty strict about this ive been told.