CIC Citizenship timelines

Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:08 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

They told me on the spot that I had passed, but I'm pretty sure that was because I finished first. I took the test on June 28th, oath is scheduled for August 4th.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading these posts trying to get an average waiting time for the citizenship test and ceremony.

Sent our app in January 2011, got sent back to us twice because things weren't clear or not signed etc., received booklet yesterday. Is it about 1 year from receiving booklet till the test and then about 5 months after test for ceremony? We live in Ottawa and sent app to Sydney.

Thanks for any replies, much appreciated.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:22 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mardyarse
I've been reading these posts trying to get an average waiting time for the citizenship test and ceremony.

Sent our app in January 2011, got sent back to us twice because things weren't clear or not signed etc., received booklet yesterday. Is it about 1 year from receiving booklet till the test and then about 5 months after test for ceremony? We live in Ottawa and sent app to Sydney.

Thanks for any replies, much appreciated.
About a year for the test. Ceremony timeline seems to vary.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
About a year for the test. Ceremony timeline seems to vary.
cheers, I thought as much!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:26 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Became a citizen on Thursday, yay me.

So anyway:

30 April 2010 - applied;
5 October 2010 - got the letter with the book (or rather the letter is dated that day);
8 June 2011 - got the letter saying show up for the test (dated June 6th);
28 June 2011 - took the citizenship test;
4 August 2011 - took the oath.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

So it's been a while since the PR..... Back on here for the Citizenship

Applied - July 20 2011

See you again in six months for an update!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:22 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Got notice of ceremony today (Aug 22nd). Am to appear on 9th September at the lovely hour of 8:15 am to swear the oath etc. etc.

Hmm, so that's around 19 months from first sending the app off and 6 weeks approx from cit-ship test.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Got notice of ceremony today (Aug 22nd). Am to appear on 9th September at the lovely hour of 8:15 am to swear the oath etc. etc.

Hmm, so that's around 19 months from first sending the app off and 6 weeks approx from cit-ship test.
I'm pretty good at swearing at that time in the morning
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:52 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
I'm pretty good at swearing at that time in the morning
ar ar. Hey did you guys get yours?
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Mine said 10:30 but we didn't actually do it until about midday.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

ar ar. Hey did you guys get yours?
Yes a matter of days after yours. Thank God it wasn't quite the wait that we'd prepared for. What I didn't much like is that I was expecting some kind of congratulations. I mean, yes you have to swear an oath, but other than not showing up is it possible to fail at this point? Possibly if you're arrested and incriminated between now and then, but that would be a stretch even for me.

I was kind of hoping for something like "Congratulations, we'd like to invite you to the Citizenship Ceremony in which you'll take an oath and become a Canadian Citizen". That's what it's about isn't it? I know it's a legal process , but so is marriage. When you send wedding invites you don't summon your family and friends to appear. Although if I ever remarry I may try that...

Instead, what they send is not so much an invite so much as a court summons (notice to appear). The charge? Applying for citizenship. Possible outcome: Grant of citizenship. All very impersonal. No, not impersonal, it's intimidating. I'm sure the judges and ceremony itself don't reflect the style of their 'invites', but may be they should revise it to be a bit more humanized. Or even friendly. Ok "friendly" is stretching it but factual and formal, using the words I suggested above, would be better than "Notice to appear".

What a journey though. A year and a half, although nowhere near as many steps as PR, and the forms weren't really too taxing. We also looked into the process of getting the passports as of course we have to hand in (or surrender at gunpoint possibly) the PR cards. I'm impressed with the quick turnaround quoted on the passport site and the cost seems reasonable (which is a first in this whole process). In fact the office is walking distance for us.

Hope your ceremony goes well KL, and we'll all meet up again soon. Shame we're not all on the same day though
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Took me 2.5 weeks to get my passport, but you need to go in person to get it that quick I was told, especially being your first one. It arrives via Xpresspost, which really means Canada Post put a delivery note on your door or in your mailbox and don't actually attempt to deliver it, as per usual. On my note it said it would be at the post office the next day, but I went to the post office the same day I got the note and they said it had been there since 1pm, so I'm sure they never really attempted delivery.

Just as an aside but my Canadian passport appears to be made of tissue paper other than the cover and the photo page. I assume durability is not as big of an issue as they're only valid for five years.

Starting next year they will be valid for ten years, however I don't think they've said when exactly they'll start issuing them and they're still arguing over whether there will still be a five-year passport as an option last I heard.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve_
Took me 2.5 weeks to get my passport, but you need to go in person to get it that quick I was told, especially being your first one. It arrives via Xpresspost, which really means Canada Post put a delivery note on your door or in your mailbox and don't actually attempt to deliver it, as per usual. On my note it said it would be at the post office the next day, but I went to the post office the same day I got the note and they said it had been there since 1pm, so I'm sure they never really attempted delivery.

Just as an aside but my Canadian passport appears to be made of tissue paper other than the cover and the photo page. I assume durability is not as big of an issue as they're only valid for five years.

Starting next year they will be valid for ten years, however I don't think they've said when exactly they'll start issuing them and they're still arguing over whether there will still be a five-year passport as an option last I heard.
Yes I heard about 10 year versions but not going to wait. Also will do the drop-off of app and pick up of PP as you suggest. I'm sure Canada Post often leaves packages behind and just carries a "Package Delivery Attempt" card with them. The local post office collection is about the same distance for me as the passport office, so not much point really. Thanks for the tips. This will help.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:32 pm

booo I was hoping you'd be the same day as me. When did you get summoned to appear? I noticed at the bottom of the form if you don't appear you have to apply for citizenship again. Bloody hell.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:01 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
Yes I heard about 10 year versions but not going to wait.
I was going to but I can never get a clear answer to the question as to whether I can travel with a British passport and citizenship card. CBSA said to me it says in the travel regulations you can, but the airlines all seem to have differing opinions. I figured it just wasn't worth the argument at check-in so I got a Canadian passport. Plus Passport Canada still don't have a firm date when they'll start issuing ten-year passports either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.