CIC Citizenship timelines

Old May 13th 2011, 6:52 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

re: Being of UK origin we do not need visa's to re-enter Canada because of the Visa Waiver program I take it the possibility of my PR card expiring before completing the Citizenship process should not be too critical.

If you have the visa in your passport you will not be allowed to fly into Canada without a PR card - I got stopped in London flying to Halifax and was asked for my cards, which thankfully I had taken with me as I didn't know this. You do not need your PR cards if travelling by land or sea but by air you do - I am sure I am right on this but as always welcome the guidance of others.
Old May 13th 2011, 6:56 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

My app went to "in process" i.e. they've sent the file to the local CIC office here on May 2nd, and they received it in NS on May 2nd 2010, which sounds suspiciously coincidental. Looks like they're routinely waiting a year.

Being of UK origin we do not need visa's to re-enter Canada because of the Visa Waiver program
Legally if you're an LPR, you need the card to board the aircraft because of the transport regulations. If you show up at an airport in the UK they're supposed to ask you before you board what your status is in Canada, if you're an LPR you have to show the card. (In reality it doesn't always work out that way but those are the regs). If your LPR card expires and you're abroard, you have to apply for a re-entry visa from the High Commission. (Also PR card renewal isn't exactly quick either.) At least for air travel you do, if you drive up from the US with an expired card it doesn't matter, CBSA can check your status at the POE, although bus/train companies are supposed to check your status as well before letting you on the bus/train.

I remember reading on a forum somewhere someone saying they took the oath at a consulate in the US, not sure if you can still take the oath abroad.

You don't need a PR card to live in Canada. Once you're here you're a permanent resident. Mainly you need it if you travel or to access certain Govt. services.
Old May 13th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

capillano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
My app went to "in process" i.e. they've sent the file to the local CIC office here on May 2nd, and they received it in NS on May 2nd 2010, which sounds suspiciously coincidental. Looks like they're routinely waiting a year.

I remember reading on a forum somewhere someone saying they took the oath at a consulate in the US, not sure if you can still take the oath abroad.

Funny you should also mention about taking the oath abroad, someone also told me that their friend did the oath ceremony in Dubai but it is difficult to substantiate this? I might have to get in touch with CIC in London UK to ask them if they provide this service. Not sure whether they will reply back??

No1_mom

If you have the visa in your passport you will not be allowed to fly into Canada without a PR card - I got stopped in London flying to Halifax and was asked for my cards, which thankfully I had taken with me as I didn't know this. You do not need your PR cards if traveling by land or sea but by air you do - I am sure I am right on this but as always welcome the guidance of others.
Yes, this was also my suspicion but what if someone applied to become a PR and did receive the Visa stamp on their passport but subsequently they decided not to live in Canada surely as a British Passport holder the immigration officer at the Airport cannot deny them entry into Canada and the same applies when boarding a flight from the UK.

Surely this should not pose a problem to re-enter Canada but hey! who knows?
Old May 13th 2011, 7:52 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

It is that long since I got my visa I forget what was written in the original letter.

I thought though once you got the letter confirming you were being granted PR you had to send you passport down to London get the visa which you needed to land in Canada and do the immigration process with the office at the airport.

I know people can apply for the PR card whilst in Canada but I have no idea if they get the stamp in their passport, I asume the do - it was the first thing the guy checked when I booked in for my flight at London.

As I say it is 4 years since I arrived to i can't remember the process.

From the http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

The Permanent Resident Card
If you intend to travel, the Permanent Resident Card is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.

This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus).

If you leave the country, you will need this card to return to Canada. If you do not plan to leave the country, you do not need the card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old May 13th 2011, 8:07 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No1_mom
It is also unfair how provinces operate it in different ways. We did ours in London the other day (6th)- I thought it funny that we did it in pencil - hopefully they will correct the two questions I know that I stupidly answered wrongly - oh I could kick myself for it.

But they told us we won't hear anything for at least 4 weeks - my hubby had to take a letter in for me confirming my employment and on speaking to the guy they explained that the staff actually mark it but they then have to get a judge to double check it and that is what causes the delay. Why can't they do the same as some other provinces and get the judge on the same day as the exam - in this case there was only about 14 - 20 max, and then perform the oath ceremony in the afternoon. It is gut wrenching to now have to wait another 4 weeks or so and we can only hope it went okay and they hold the oath ceremony on the 1st of July.

I just want equality which is something Canada is famous for championing for everyone.

Dates
Submitted in April 2010
Receipt October 2010
Exam confirmation Mark 2011
Exam date May 6, 2011
well, I haven't even received an exam date yet and I sent mine in around the same time last year.
Old May 13th 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by No1_mom
It is that long since I got my visa I forget what was written in the original letter.

I thought though once you got the letter confirming you were being granted PR you had to send you passport down to London get the visa which you needed to land in Canada and do the immigration process with the office at the airport.

I know people can apply for the PR card whilst in Canada but I have no idea if they get the stamp in their passport, I asume the do - it was the first thing the guy checked when I booked in for my flight at London.

As I say it is 4 years since I arrived to i can't remember the process.

From the http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

The Permanent Resident Card
If you intend to travel, the Permanent Resident Card is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.

This wallet-sized plastic card is required for all permanent residents of Canada seeking to re-enter Canada on a commercial carrier (airplane, boat, train or bus).

If you leave the country, you will need this card to return to Canada. If you do not plan to leave the country, you do not need the card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, what you have said is correct and yes everyone applying for a PR program from abroad will get a shiny visa stamped on the Passports.

I suspect the above rules are the same everyone with the exception of passport holders from Visa Waiver countries i.e UK and several others.

I believe the above rules are generally enforced more strictly for PR's who have passport issued by countries which do not have a visa waiver program.

I have a friend who came over from the UK on a skilled program just like myself and couldn't see himself being able to sustain his family with the smaller jobs markets and decided to decamp and moved back home in UK. They have their PR cards etc and off course the shiny visa stamp on their passports and they have been back again on holiday and didn't have any problems at either end.

As per what what Steve has mentioned legally the above rules apply but for some of us I believe we should not be denied from being able to embark on an airplane nor entering Canada. Because under the Visa Waiver program we are allowed legally to enter Canada on a visitor basis for a period of 6 months.

I have found out that Citizenship Oaths can only be taken abroad for minors, for adults it can only be done in Canada.

Last edited by capillano; May 13th 2011 at 8:23 pm.
Old May 13th 2011, 9:26 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by capillano
Yes, what you have said is correct and yes everyone applying for a PR program from abroad will get a shiny visa stamped on the Passports.

I suspect the above rules are the same everyone with the exception of passport holders from Visa Waiver countries i.e UK and several others.

I believe the above rules are generally enforced more strictly for PR's who have passport issued by countries which do not have a visa waiver program.

I have a friend who came over from the UK on a skilled program just like myself and couldn't see himself being able to sustain his family with the smaller jobs markets and decided to decamp and moved back home in UK. They have their PR cards etc and off course the shiny visa stamp on their passports and they have been back again on holiday and didn't have any problems at either end.

As per what what Steve has mentioned legally the above rules apply but for some of us I believe we should not be denied from being able to embark on an airplane nor entering Canada. Because under the Visa Waiver program we are allowed legally to enter Canada on a visitor basis for a period of 6 months.

I have found out that Citizenship Oaths can only be taken abroad for minors, for adults it can only be done in Canada.
1. If you have a one way ticket and no proof of residency status in Canada, there is a good chance that you will be refused boarding by the airline. They don't want the fine and the cost of removing you, if you are refused admission to Canada.
Old May 14th 2011, 3:52 am
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough

In case anyone is waiting in Calgary, we applied in April 2010 and the screen print from the online checker is:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on July 5, 2010.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called A Look at Canada on July 5, 2010. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on March 4, 2011.

Your file was transferred to the Calgary CIC office on April 11, 2011. The Calgary CIC office will contact you if additional information is required. The Calgary CIC office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

We sent you a notice on April 20, 2011 to XXXX, Okotoks, Alberta, Canada, T1S XXX to appear and write the citizenship test on May 5, 2011 at 10:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

When we sat the test last week they told us it would approx 4 weeks until the ceremony. Calgary used to do test & ceremony on the same day, but alas no more...
Old May 15th 2011, 3:59 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

application received by cic: december 1st, 2009
acknowledgement including "discover canada" book received: may 7th, 2010
transfer to victoria office: nov 2, 2010
notice to appear sent by victoria office: apr 15, 2011
notice to appear received: apr 20, 2011
citizenship test: may 10, 2011
citizenship ceremony: may 11, 2011

so just a bit short of 17,5 months.

note: it seems that they have a maximum of two citizenship ceremonies a year here in the comox valley. the cic staff and the judge traveled up-island from victoria.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:22 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiggs1034
In case anyone is waiting in Calgary, we applied in April 2010 and the screen print from the online checker is:

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on July 5, 2010.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called A Look at Canada on July 5, 2010. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on March 4, 2011.

Your file was transferred to the Calgary CIC office on April 11, 2011. The Calgary CIC office will contact you if additional information is required. The Calgary CIC office will contact you regarding your citizenship test once all the necessary checks on your file are complete.

We sent you a notice on April 20, 2011 to XXXX, Okotoks, Alberta, Canada, T1S XXX to appear and write the citizenship test on May 5, 2011 at 10:30 AM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

When we sat the test last week they told us it would approx 4 weeks until the ceremony. Calgary used to do test & ceremony on the same day, but alas no more...
July 5? Why so long?

Mine says received application blah blah April 15th 2010. ( I sent it end march).

Vancouver office received my application in January 2011.

They'll call me if they need anything

So it apears Van office is very slow.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Tolga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tolga
I wrote the test first week of March, but still have not received a ceremony date in Vancouver. Anyone who is in a similar situation?
Finally received the notice for oath ceremony today.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Has anyone renewed their PR card from abroad? I am just preempting the situation of my PR card expiring in early 2013 before my citizenship test/oath date might arrive. I am submitting my application next week (July 2011) and returning back to UK to care for my parents and I am not sure for how long I might need to remain there before I can get back.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Post Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

Originally Posted by capillano
Has anyone renewed their PR card from abroad? I am just preempting the situation of my PR card expiring in early 2013 before my citizenship test/oath date might arrive. I am submitting my application next week (July 2011) and returning back to UK to care for my parents and I am not sure for how long I might need to remain there before I can get back.
Going through Citizenship application forms check list, I had a few questions if anyone would care to answer for me.

1. Fees: Copy 2 of the receipt form showing the amount paid - I paid for the fees online and printed the Official Receipt which has a Rxxxx number and the page has a section for filling in the Name, DOB, Client ID, Address, Post Code, Telephone etc. Do I put my correspondence address or current? What is the Client ID? Is this my PR card ID No?

I am filling in a family application so firstly what is Copy 2 and do I have to print the same copy for each family member and fill in the individual name, dob etc details?

2. The method of posting the application packs. Is it okay to send it using Canada Post Priority Mail or Courier is advised?

Finally, how does one track the application online after posting off the application do I need to wait for the acknowledgment letter.

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

Application sent on April 10th, 2011 from Vancouver

Application received by CIC on April 14th, 2011

Acknowledgment Letter with Study Guide received on July 8th, 2011

Last edited by Yasmina2005; Jul 19th 2011 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:47 pm

Cit'ship test letter received early June.

Sat cit'ship test and had interview July 7, 2011.

The officer said it could be another 3-4 months before I receive notice of my citizenship ceremony. Don't know if I passed the citizenship test or not but according to the CIC website I will find out sooner if I didn't. So far heard nothing...no news good news?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.