CIC Citizenship timelines

Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

Hi All,
My timeline for info for others.

application received by CIC Oct 2009
acknowlegement letter march 2010
Status changed from received ....... to being processed July 2010.
File transferred to Vancouver Citizenship office August 2010.
notice to appear from CIC Oct 2010
citizenship test & interview Nov 2010.
ceremony second week of march 2011

18 months start to finish.
So the long road is finally over.
Cheers
jerry
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:22 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi All,
My timeline for info for others.

application received by CIC Oct 2009
acknowlegement letter march 2010
Status changed from received ....... to being processed July 2010.
File transferred to Vancouver Citizenship office August 2010.
notice to appear from CIC Oct 2010
citizenship test & interview Nov 2010.
ceremony second week of march 2011

18 months start to finish.
So the long road is finally over.
Cheers
jerry

congratulations, jerry!

hurry up, victoria (or wherever on the island lof's application is gathering dust...)
Old Feb 19th 2011, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Tolga is an unknown quantity at this point

• application received by CIC Jan 2010
  • acknowlegement letter August 2010
  • notice to appear from CIC Feb 2011

On the notice to appear, it says "you must bring with you all your original documents that support your citizenship application (e.g. birth certificate etc.);

I am not sure what the "supporting documents" are. I didn't send a birth certificate since it wasn't asked. I am the only applicant and I had sent everything listed on this checklist in my application package: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...n/CIT0462E.pdf

Can someone please clarify?
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolga
  • application received by CIC Jan 2010
  • acknowlegement letter August 2010
  • notice to appear from CIC Feb 2011

On the notice to appear, it says "you must bring with you all your original documents that support your citizenship application (e.g. birth certificate etc.);

I am not sure what the "supporting documents" are. I didn't send a birth certificate since it wasn't asked. I am the only applicant and I had sent everything listed on this checklist in my application package: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...n/CIT0462E.pdf

Can someone please clarify?
It means you must bring the originals of all documents you submitted to support your application - government issue ID, COPR, PR Card, birth certificates, etc.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It means you must bring the originals of all documents you submitted to support your application - government issue ID, COPR, PR Card, birth certificates, etc.
the birth certificate threw me off since I have not submitted one with my application. the others should not be a problem.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

We sent our forms off 10th December 2010 and received a letter back yesterday with the Discover Canada booklet. No timelines mentioned and nothing stating application now being sent to provincial office so I guess we have to wait for an additional letter.

Zoé M.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zmartin
We sent our forms off 10th December 2010 and received a letter back yesterday with the Discover Canada booklet. No timelines mentioned and nothing stating application now being sent to provincial office so I guess we have to wait for an additional letter.

Zoé M.
WOW! That was fast!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Teja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tolga
the birth certificate threw me off since I have not submitted one with my application. the others should not be a problem.
You don't need to bring birth certificate with you at the Oath ceremony. You bring only the PR card, COPR and a Govt. issued id like health card and driving licence. Infact, they didn't even looked at my ids. They just took the PR card and stamped on the COPR and gave it back to me.

My timeline - Ottawa:
Applied: Jan 4, 2010
Acknowledgement: June/July 2010 (don't remember exactly)
Transfered to CIC Ottawa: Nov 2010
Discover Canada book and notice to appear for test recevied: Nov 2010
Test Written: 18 Jan 2011
Notice to take Oath: 4 Feb 2011
Oath ceremony: 17 Feb 2011

Last edited by Teja; Feb 20th 2011 at 8:45 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teja
You don't need to bring birth certificate with you at the Oath ceremony. You bring only the PR card, COPR and a Govt. issued id like health card and driving licence. Infact, they didn't even looked at my ids. They just took the PR card and stamped on the COPR and gave it back to me.

My timeline - Ottawa:
Applied: Jan 4, 2010
Acknowledgement: June/July 2010 (don't remember exactly)
Transfered to CIC Ottawa: Nov 2010
Discover Canada book and notice to appear for test recevied: Nov 2010
Test Written: 18 Jan 2011
Notice to take Oath: 4 Feb 2011
Oath ceremony: 17 Feb 2011
Yes you do. We took our's this morning and someone was turned away as they were not able to prove their relationship to their children. We needed to show originals of all documents submitted with our application so, in essence, you need to do what the letter says.

The test was much harder than had been indicated by others on this forum. I don't know if that is a reflection of the new test, but it wasn't the stroll in the park that others have indicated. I looked over at my wife at one point, and she gave me an evil look due to the fact that I had told her she didn't need to study the booklet.

There were a fair number of general knowledge type questions that, if haven't particularly embraced Canada, you would not know the answers to.

We have our ceremony is just over 2 hours.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Yes you do. We took our's this morning and someone was turned away as they were not able to prove their relationship to their children. We needed to show originals of all documents submitted with our application so, in essence, you need to do what the letter says.
As I mentioned above, I am the only applicant, so I don't have to bring a birth certificate. If you have a family/child, then you have to in order to prove your relationship.

Required documents for individuals are (single applicant): Passport, CoPR, PR Card, Driving License, Healthcare Card, and Notice to Appear letter.

...she gave me an evil look due to the fact that I had told her she didn't need to study the booklet.
Oops! You have to read it at least once and do the sample questions at the end.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Teja is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: CIC Citizenship timelines

The test was much harder than had been indicated by others on this forum. I don't know if that is a reflection of the new test, but it wasn't the stroll in the park that others have indicated. I looked over at my wife at one point, and she gave me an evil look due to the fact that I had told her she didn't need to study the booklet.

There were a fair number of general knowledge type questions that, if haven't particularly embraced Canada, you would not know the answers to.

We have our ceremony is just over 2 hours.
Yes, you are right. If you have kids taking Oath, birth certificate is necessary to prove the relationship. My wife and son got their Citizenship in August 2010, and now I remember that they had looked at my Son's birth certificate. I applied 6 months later than my family since I travel on work, and had to wait till I accumulate 3 years of physical residency. In my case, they didn't look at my Health Card or Driving Licence. But, even if we are sharing that they didn't look at all the documents or ids, it is better to go with all documents that they ask in the letter, as it will differ from one City to another how they handle this.

My test was in January 2011, and it was very easy. I had practiced on many of the free online tests covering questions from the new book. I did prepare from the book thoroughly, but did not get asked difficult questions. My wife did her test in June 2010, and at that time they had more difficult questions. What I learnt is that since November 2010, they have done away with 5 mandatory questions to which one needed to answers correctly, otherwise one failed the test. This is because the failure rate had increased to almost 30% from about 10 to 15%, which meant more interviews for the judge. In general, the test is easier now...but, one should at least read the book and do the online tests. I downloaded the mp3 version of the book and was listening in my car when I go on long drive.

Last edited by Teja; Feb 21st 2011 at 5:22 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

My Update:

- Application received by CIC Sydney 10th of Dec 2010
- Acknowledgement letter 22nd of Feb 2011 (74 days)

I was rather surprised at how fast the acknowledgement letter came. I hope that is a good sign that CIC Sydney are moving files fast.

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

87cabby is an unknown quantity at this point

Got the Notice to Appear today for the 28th February

This is following the test on 9th... things are moving fast at CIC!

Sadly, Toronto are also moving fast... after sitting on a disputed parking ticket since 2009, they've sent me a letter calling me to trial in June
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Hi all,

Just got back after having a celebration lunch after the ceremony in Victoria today. Applied Sept 2009, sat test on January 18th 2010 and the ceremony was today.

At the ceremony location we presented our IMM's which got stamped and handed over our PR cards which were kept. We took passports (old and new) birth certificates, care cards, SIN (everything just in case); even for the kids (both 13) just the PR cards were checked.

Good luck all.

Cheers - Steve
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:31 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveHarris
Hi all,

Just got back after having a celebration lunch after the ceremony in Victoria today. Applied Sept 2009, sat test on January 18th 2010 and the ceremony was today.

At the ceremony location we presented our IMM's which got stamped and handed over our PR cards which were kept. We took passports (old and new) birth certificates, care cards, SIN (everything just in case); even for the kids (both 13) just the PR cards were checked.

Good luck all.

Cheers - Steve
Wow, a year between test and ceremony ? That's a long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.