Wikiposts

Choosing an Immigration Lawyer

Old Oct 13th 2017, 4:30 am
Just Joined

christopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nice
Default Re: Choosing an Immigration Lawyer

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, I think something has been lost in translation - I think when you say 'work visa', you mean an application for PR via Express Entry. That's not a work permit, it's Permanent Residency and would mean you could work for any employer without needing sponsorship.

A work permit is usually temporary, no paperwork required, and yes, you need a job offer - but I don't think that's what you're talking about applying for.

OK, so going back to the start on that, you need to check your wife is eligible first, make sure she scores at least 67 as a Federal Skilled Worker, using this points system - Selection factors: federal skilled workers

Then once you've done that, take this test to see what her CRS score would be and let us know what it says - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

A PR app will definitely be more involved, and perhaps you might want to hire a lawyer to help, but given that it's you that has dyslexia etc, and that it's your wife's application, she might feel she's happy to do it? Particularly now you've found BE and we can help! But start with the above and we can try and help you work out the next steps.

HTH get you started at least, good luck.
Great! Thanks for this!!
Old Oct 27th 2017, 1:47 am
Just Joined

christopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nicechristopherjames is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, I think something has been lost in translation - I think when you say 'work visa', you mean an application for PR via Express Entry. That's not a work permit, it's Permanent Residency and would mean you could work for any employer without needing sponsorship.

A work permit is usually temporary, no paperwork required, and yes, you need a job offer - but I don't think that's what you're talking about applying for.

OK, so going back to the start on that, you need to check your wife is eligible first, make sure she scores at least 67 as a Federal Skilled Worker, using this points system - Selection factors: federal skilled workers

Then once you've done that, take this test to see what her CRS score would be and let us know what it says - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

A PR app will definitely be more involved, and perhaps you might want to hire a lawyer to help, but given that it's you that has dyslexia etc, and that it's your wife's application, she might feel she's happy to do it? Particularly now you've found BE and we can help! But start with the above and we can try and help you work out the next steps.

HTH get you started at least, good luck.
I have since spoken with a lawyer and have decided to apply for PR through the express entry. We get a score of 439 points. I am gathering info for the educational assessment and am booking the IELTS tests.

Fingers crossed we get picked up out fo the pool when this is all done.

Thanks for the responses
Old Oct 27th 2017, 6:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good. At 439 you should be fine, might take a while to get an invite but should happen IMO. The last draw went down to 436 points, so you'd have got an ITA from that.

Best of luck with the IELTS and ECA, shout if you have any questions and there is usually somebody that can help.