Childs health question

Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:20 am
Just Joined

chilli1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childs health question

I am interested in going to live in Canada , but I have a couple of questions with regard to the health system in Canada.

Do they have a NHS type system in operation like in the UK?

Also my daughter has had a liver transplant is this likely to make any application we put in as a family have a lower chance of success?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Childs health question

Originally Posted by chilli1977
I am interested in going to live in Canada , but I have a couple of questions with regard to the health system in Canada.

Do they have a NHS type system in operation like in the UK?

Also my daughter has had a liver transplant is this likely to make any application we put in as a family have a lower chance of success?

Thank you in advance.
Heh, I'm sure someone will be along shortly with far more detailed and up to date info than me but have this for now. Unlike the UK where the NHS operates across the whole country, Canada has separate provinces and separate health systems. For the most part they're funded in the same way, ie by a Health Services Tax that is paid on pretty much everything you buy. Here in Nova Scotia it runs at 10% and is incorporated with our GST/Fed sales tax.

The health service is just like the NHS for many things, ie hospitals, operations, procedures and the like. You'll have to pay for your own medications though but most folks have a medical plan to cover this, hopefully through your job. If you check on the Wiki at the top of the forum page and do a search you'll find some good info for different provinces.

Regards your childs condition, it's 20 years since we came here but my daughter had already had open heart surgery in the UK from a congenital condition prior to our medicals, they still took her okay and she had several further heart operations here in Canada over the course of the next years.

Best of luck with any future plans.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:40 am
Just Joined

chilli1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for the advice , The bit about us having to pay for medications might be a problem though the anti rejection drug she takes is £800 a bottle which lasts 2 months plus some other drugs sh has to take . It would be a small fortune that i would have to pay each month which at the moment is payed for.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:56 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thank you for the advice , The bit about us having to pay for medications might be a problem though the anti rejection drug she takes is £800 a bottle which lasts 2 months plus some other drugs sh has to take . It would be a small fortune that i would have to pay each month which at the moment is payed for.
Honestly I think that as your daughter has to have the drugs, it would be a deal breaker for her to pass the medical. It would probably be considered excessive demand.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:04 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Acceptance would be doubtful, excessive demand is medical costs in excess of $5000 CDN a year. (approx £3000). Other than employer extended health plans, the private ones won't cover pre existing either.