Wikiposts

Children's Study Permit Renewal

Old Feb 18th 2014, 6:50 am
Just Joined

TheCrosslands is on a distinguished road
Default Children's Study Permit Renewal

Hi All,

Need some help regarding study permits in order to renew Alberta Health Service cards. This is the situation.......

Over here on TWP and have applied for PR but don't expect to get COPR until some time later this year. TWP was due to expire in March so got a Bridging Open Work Permit. Now on the original TWP issued at PoE it listed my 2 kids ( 7 and 10 ) as able to study in Canada. The Bridging WP doesn't have them listed.

Received a letter from Alberta Health telling me our health cards were about to expire so took the new Bridging WP along to the Health Registry get the cards renewed only to be told the kids couldn't be renewed without proof they were entitled to study in Canada after the TWP expiry date!

So what now? I can apply for Study permits on CIC at $150 each but these seem more for college aged kids not elementary school ages.

Alternatively would a quick trip south of the border and a chat with Immigration on the way back get the kids added to the Bridging WP (hopefully without the $300 fees)?

Any advise greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children's Study Permit Renewal

Originally Posted by TheCrosslands
Hi All,

Need some help regarding study permits in order to renew Alberta Health Service cards. This is the situation.......

Over here on TWP and have applied for PR but don't expect to get COPR until some time later this year. TWP was due to expire in March so got a Bridging Open Work Permit. Now on the original TWP issued at PoE it listed my 2 kids ( 7 and 10 ) as able to study in Canada. The Bridging WP doesn't have them listed.

Received a letter from Alberta Health telling me our health cards were about to expire so took the new Bridging WP along to the Health Registry get the cards renewed only to be told the kids couldn't be renewed without proof they were entitled to study in Canada after the TWP expiry date!

So what now? I can apply for Study permits on CIC at $150 each but these seem more for college aged kids not elementary school ages.

Alternatively would a quick trip south of the border and a chat with Immigration on the way back get the kids added to the Bridging WP (hopefully without the $300 fees)?

I don't see why not. As the children are already in Canada and a POE is considered in Canada then they can be issued visitor records. Make sure that you take the Bridging Work permit and you could also show proof that PR has been applied for.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrosslands
Hi All,

I had a similar problem with the childrens study permits a few years ago as the study permits expired before my work permit due to the expiry date of their passports. Alberta Health were quite helpful and extended the health coverage 3 months beyond the study permit date. In the end it was simplest to get the childrens paperwork sorted out at the border - I think they issued visitor records which are ok for children at school.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:28 am
Just Joined

TheCrosslands is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help - managed to get someone on the phone at Alberta Health that knew about this type of problem so got the 3 month extension. They recommended a booze cruise south to get the visitor records renewed as well.

Now just hoping the school don't realise before the end of the school year! Hadn't thought about that hurdle!