Childrens Medicals - Halifax

Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

midgetgem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childrens Medicals - Halifax

I am just being a typical mother here and worrying about my kids having blood taken etc. I hate needles myself and will really be a good role model - not!!!!!!!!! My sons are 8 & 3, will they get full medicals? Infact what is a full medical?
Also, we will be going to Halifax, does anyone know who might be cheapest option? Can we get bloods & x-rays done in the same day?
Thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:26 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childrens Medicals - Halifax

Hi

Originally Posted by midgetgem
I am just being a typical mother here and worrying about my kids having blood taken etc. I hate needles myself and will really be a good role model - not!!!!!!!!! My sons are 8 & 3, will they get full medicals? Infact what is a full medical?
Also, we will be going to Halifax, does anyone know who might be cheapest option? Can we get bloods & x-rays done in the same day?
Thanks.
No blood tests, no x-rays as they are under 11, only urinalysis for the 8 years old. See; http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/resourc.../section-6.asp
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:28 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No blood tests, no x-rays as they are under 11, only urinalysis for the 8 years old. See; http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/resourc.../section-6.asp
So the cost is not the same as for an adult test?
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Good point Amy - should be a lot cheaper for a urine sample - but do they see it that way????
Old Feb 12th 2009, 11:41 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Good point Amy - should be a lot cheaper for a urine sample - but do they see it that way????
Yeah probably not....lol. Any excuse to grab money from us!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you PMM for your reply. I feel happier now for them both. Don't relish me having the tests though but heh, it'll be worth it!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:40 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Not sure if Canada is the same, I would have thought so, but UK full med for us was £200, kids were £80 each, both of mine under 8

Hi Midgetgem, hope you are doing well! I know Chumley is due to go for meds in Halifax soon and deanjp32 has recently been so perhaps they can advise you on what Halifax DMP is like?

Good luck!

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Feb 12th 2009 at 8:41 pm. Reason: added a bit!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

4 of us went to Dalhousie for our meds. We were charged $150 for the meds and urinalysis for 3 of us and my yougest who is 12 was charged $120.

We then had to go to the Dickens building which is a 10 minute walk from Dalhousie for our xrays and bloods. We were charged $300.01 for the bloods and xrays. Me and my wife have health cards which made our xrays and bloods cheaper than my 16 year old who we flew in from the UK to have them done. Ours cost $82 for xrays and bloods and my sons was $136.01

My youngest had to go to the IWK for his xray which is next door to the Dickens building. It cost $50 for him to have xrays. He is 12

The whole process was easy and no real problems other than it being a little chaotic certainly when having to wander round the rabbit warrens that are hospitals and us not having long on the parking meter. We parked just behind the entrance to Dalhousie which had a 4 hour limit, we got back with 3 minutes to spare. phew!!!

Oh and a full medical for us was blood pressure, height, weight, sight, urinalysis, looking in mouth, ears and a bit of touchy feely round my belly and man boobs and a load of questions. Nothing to it really.

And when you have the bloods dont worry you sit in wonderful big relaxing chairs that you cant fall out of lol.

Hope that helps

Last edited by deanjp32; Feb 13th 2009 at 12:53 am. Reason: added last 4 lines
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Your reply was a fantastic help deanjp32. It has put my mind at ease. Also not as expensive as we thought it was going to be! Not often you get a pleasant surprise is it?

We have not been called for medicals yet but when we do is it just a case of phoning and making the appointment? It's good it can all be done in one day - a long 4 hours but none the less better than the thought of driving from Truro twice.

Just hope they do orange juice/tea while sitting in the big chairs! I keep my elastoplast on for weeks for fear of seeing the tiny pin prick!! I know it's sad. Who would believe I've had 2 sections and been awake?

Thanks again.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Your reply was a fantastic help deanjp32. It has put my mind at ease. Also not as expensive as we thought it was going to be! Not often you get a pleasant surprise is it?

We have not been called for medicals yet but when we do is it just a case of phoning and making the appointment? It's good it can all be done in one day - a long 4 hours but none the less better than the thought of driving from Truro twice.

Just hope they do orange juice/tea while sitting in the big chairs! I keep my elastoplast on for weeks for fear of seeing the tiny pin prick!! I know it's sad. Who would believe I've had 2 sections and been awake?

Thanks again.
yes you just phone and make the appointment and they then send you a letter of confrimation giving fees etc
they shut between 12 and 1pm

there is a bit of a wait though we had two wait 2 weeks to get an appointment would rather have got it out of the way much quicker

im going to the same doc as dean and my friend and her family also went to the same doc who comes highly recommended this is why i didnt cause a big fuss about the wait time for an appointment or try to get in to another dmp who migh have seen us sooner

I shall be giving all the gory details come a week tonight when meds are out of the way

for me this is the most stressful part of the whole process

hope your meds come soon and good luck
Old Feb 13th 2009, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

You can have it done in Enfield Midgetgem if you so wish which is way nearer than Halifax. Just dont know whether its all done in 1 place or where the hospital would be for bloods and xrays. maybe look on the the list that the CHC provides and give them a call if you dont want to travel to Halifax. Also dont know what the costs would be either.

We went to halifax because of the good reports and we had my kids over from the UK so wanted to make a day of it. Boston Pizza after mmmmm!!!!

Oh was in the chair for about 5 mins and no orange or tea. Sorry!!!!!

Mind you i did not ask!!!

Last edited by deanjp32; Feb 13th 2009 at 2:32 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:19 am
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again.
Hi Midgetgem
I had my medicals done yesterday at Dalhousie, and it was fairly straightforward, BP, Urine, eye sight test (reading down a chart) ht, wt, past history documented, Dr listened to heart, lungs, felt belly, neck, breast exam, looked in eyes, ears, throat, hearing test (standing at other side of room and whispering!), walking in straight line, bending, standing with eyes shut, tested reflexes, then off to hospital for bloods (HIV, syphillis, kidney function + liver function if you have any tattoos) and xrays.
Four hours in total, managed to park in the hospital car park which cost $8.
Cost for my 14 year old daughter and me was $510, we had no healthcare.
Then it was home in a snowstorm! To Truro. Linda