Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Child Maintenance and applying for PR Advice Req

Wikiposts

Child Maintenance and applying for PR Advice Req

Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Scott66 will become famous soon enough
Default Child Maintenance and applying for PR Advice Req

Hi

I have a quick question which will probobly produce many answers and suggestions...so here goes.

Put Simply:

I will be arriving in Canada Jan 2008 as a long haul driver. 6 months later - June 2008 - I can apply for Perminent Residency (PR).

June 2008 is when my son turns 17 and his court maintenance order ends but he will prob go onto to college so his mother will prob issue a revival order to the courts to get it extended until he finishes college at 19.

I have NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER in paying for maintenance let me get that clear.

What I want help and advice on is this:

If she issues a summons to the court for an extension of maintenance will this affect the application for PR and will it be rejected as I will not have any holidays in my first year of employment to spend flying back to court in the UK. Will the Canadian immigration services be informed of this summons by the UK courts....I'd rather just keep paying but she likes everything legal & black n white.

Any help / advice / suggestions / experiences on this and how to resolve it will be greatly appreciated.

*NOTE*

Im not trying to do a runner here I just want everything sorted and legal and my app for PR to go unhindered.....and a quiet life!!

Cheers Scott
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:32 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Maintenance and applying for PR Advice Req

My hubby just went to a solicitor here and signed a statement that he pays x amount in child support, maybe all you need to do?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My hubby just went to a solicitor here and signed a statement that he pays x amount in child support, maybe all you need to do?
Piff Poff

Many thanks for your reply and that is a good idea and I suppose if it's done soon as then at least I'd have been up front about it.

Sometimes you just need that bit of advice to keep you going we sat and looked at all the dates involved and thought it was going to just wreck all our plans and dreams...but there must always be a way eh.

Thanks Scott
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:09 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott66
Piff Poff

Many thanks for your reply and that is a good idea and I suppose if it's done soon as then at least I'd have been up front about it.

Sometimes you just need that bit of advice to keep you going we sat and looked at all the dates involved and thought it was going to just wreck all our plans and dreams...but there must always be a way eh.

Thanks Scott
We had some parental responsibility issues/child support and possible health issues that really worried us - what if - what if, all I can say is try not to put the obstacles in the way yourself, wait for the CIC to do it for you. I know it's a really stressfull time but be positive and answer the questions you may get asked promptly and honestly, if you have receipts or bank statements showing your child support payments it could be worth keeping hold of them, just to back you up. Good luck Scott.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We had some parental responsibility issues/child support and possible health issues that really worried us - what if - what if, all I can say is try not to put the obstacles in the way yourself, wait for the CIC to do it for you. I know it's a really stressfull time but be positive and answer the questions you may get asked promptly and honestly, if you have receipts or bank statements showing your child support payments it could be worth keeping hold of them, just to back you up. Good luck Scott.
Here is what CIC says about child support: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/op/op01e.pdf Section 5.8
Old Jan 24th 2007, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Here is what CIC says about child support: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/op/op01e.pdf Section 5.8
Hi & Thanks.

This is a massive help so thank you.

Basicly what they are saying is that if a divorced immigrant has alimony or child maintenance payments going on and if those payments break down then they can't be enforced on you or you can't be forced to make them & it shouldn't go against you as folows:

5.8. Divorced foreign nationals
Divorced applicants may have legal obligations arising from their divorce. These often include
alimony or child-support payments, as well as the terms of child custody orders.
An obligation to pay alimony or child-support is only material to an applicant’s ability to adapt to
Canada.
Officers may not insist that applicants make arrangements to continue to pay alimony or childsupport.
Nor can officers insist they submit proof that their ex-spouses or common-law partners
are satisfied with payment arrangements. If these break down, the ex-spouses or common-law
partners must apply to a Canadian court to have their rights recognized.

Hopefully it wont come to that eh.....