child citizenship

Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice
Default child citizenship

Just got a query about gaining citizenship for my child. I am citizen by decent (mother born in canada, I was born in uk) and my child was born in 2012 in the uk. Therefore I need to sponsor him for PR first and then I can apply for citizenship for him.

My question is though and I am mainly looking for people in the same set up as me if possible......does my child need to land and then I apply for citizenship for him or can PR be confirmed and then I can apply for citizenship for him all from the uk without actually going to canada?

I have looked and the link below and I cant actually tell......as it states under required supporting docs....now if says AND PR card but then says if you have one, so wold we be ok with just his PR confirmation?

The child’s Immigration record/paper

Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
or
Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)
and
Both sides of the Permanent Resident Card (PRC) if you have one

and also part 9 below from the application form this kinda implies that I would have to land!

Section 9

Question 9
Write the date when the child became a permanent resident of Canada. The information can be found on:

the child’s Record of Landing – IMM 1000, or
the child’s Confirmation of Permanent Residence – IMM 5292, or
of the child’s Confirmation of Permanent Residence – IMM 5688,
the child’s Permanent Resident Card.
You must let us know if the child left Canada for six months or longer since becoming a permanent resident. If no, go to Section 10 of the application. If yes, give details of the time the child spent away from Canada. Use another piece of paper, if you need more space.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa....asp#CIT0003E6

Last edited by samb29; Mar 13th 2013 at 10:01 am.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child citizenship

Hi

Originally Posted by samb29
Just got a query about gaining citizenship for my child. I am citizen by decent (mother born in canada, I was born in uk) and my child was born in 2012 in the uk. Therefore I need to sponsor him for PR first and then I can apply for citizenship for him.

My question is though and I am mainly looking for people in the same set up as me if possible......does my child need to land and then I apply for citizenship for him or can PR be confirmed and then I can apply for citizenship for him all from the uk without actually going to canada?

I have looked and the link below and I cant actually tell......as it states under required supporting docs....now if says AND PR card but then says if you have one, so wold we be ok with just his PR confirmation?

The child’s Immigration record/paper

Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
or
Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688)
and
Both sides of the Permanent Resident Card (PRC) if you have one

and also part 9 below from the application form this kinda implies that I would have to land!

Section 9

Question 9
Write the date when the child became a permanent resident of Canada. The information can be found on:

You must let us know if the child left Canada for six months or longer since becoming a permanent resident. If no, go to Section 10 of the application. If yes, give details of the time the child spent away from Canada. Use another piece of paper, if you need more space.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa....asp#CIT0003E6

1. The child has to "land" before you can apply for citizenship, and I think that you will find the child has to remain in Canada for the processing. It is unsaid in the any of the documentation though.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The child has to "land" before you can apply for citizenship, and I think that you will find the child has to remain in Canada for the processing. It is unsaid in the any of the documentation though.

Do you mean neither of what you have said is in the documentation? I would doubt the child has to remain in Canada as children do not require to stay for 3 years like adults, the application form also has a section to fill out if your child leaves Canada within 6 months of PR, there is also a number of people to leave canada after landing to return to the Uk to settle up their houses etc.....so its just the landing I need some clarity on...which I may have found below which kinda of doesn't make sense as you can submit the Confirmation of Permanent Residence in your application

Decision

If CIC determines your child meets all the requirements for citizenship, you will receive:

If the child is under 14 years of age
You will receive

A request for your child’s original Record of Landing (IMM 1000) and Permanent Resident Card.

Once these documents are received, the citizenship certificate as well as the updated IMM 1000 will be sent by mail

Thanks

Last edited by samb29; Mar 13th 2013 at 7:29 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean neither of what you have said is in the documentation? I would doubt the child has to remain in Canada as children do not require to stay for 3 years like adults, the application form also has a section to fill out if your child leaves Canada within 6 months of PR, there is also a number of people to leave canada after landing to return to the Uk to settle up their houses etc.....so its just the landing I need some clarity on...which I may have found below which kinda of doesn't make sense as you can submit the Confirmation of Permanent Residence in your application

Decision

If CIC determines your child meets all the requirements for citizenship, you will receive:

If the child is under 14 years of age
You will receive

A request for your child’s original Record of Landing (IMM 1000) and Permanent Resident Card.

Once these documents are received, the citizenship certificate as well as the updated IMM 1000 will be sent by mail

Thanks
In order to become a Permanent Resident and get a Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR) - which are issued at the time of 'landing - your child will need to physically 'land' in Canada. Once they have landed there would be no need for them to remain in Canada as they would be accompanying their Canadian Citizen parent.

You can find more information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/cp04-eng.pdf

Edited to say, PR cards have to be sent to a Canadian address.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 14th 2013 at 2:46 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by siouxie
In order to become a Permanent Resident and get a Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR) - which are issued at the time of 'landing - your child will need to physically 'land' in Canada. Once they have landed there would be no need for them to remain in Canada as they would be accompanying their Canadian Citizen parent.

You can find more information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/cp04-eng.pdf

Ah but the discussion is regarding citizenship for the child once they have "landed" whether they have to remain in Canada.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I thought the Confirmation of Permanent Residency was sent to you once your application was successful, that what I wanted clarified...so thanks

Also where did you find the info to say they had to physically land and that Confirmation of Permanent Residency is issued at landing and not before i.e once you have PR you normally have a year to activate it? Thanks so much for your help

Last edited by samb29; Mar 14th 2013 at 6:38 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Ah but the discussion is regarding citizenship for the child once they have "landed" whether they have to remain in Canada.
Hi....no the discussion was whether or not the child needs to physically land.....the child does not need to stay in Canada during the application for citizenship, once landed I can apply from the UK for my child.....hope that make sense

Also as they are with a Canadian citizenship (i.e me) time spent outside Canada as long as you are with a citizen will count as if you were in canada but not for citizenship years only PR requirements, but at the same time children do not need to spend 3 years as a PR in canada like adults do for citizenship requirement

Last edited by samb29; Mar 14th 2013 at 6:41 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I thought the Confirmation of Permanent Residency was sent to you once your application was successful, that what I wanted clarified...so thanks

Also where did you find the info to say they had to physically land and that Confirmation of Permanent Residency is issued at landing and not before i.e once you have PR you normally have a year to activate it? Thanks so much for your help
Perhaps you don't understand what the process to obtain Permanent Residency is?

You apply - it's processed, then they send you a visa for when you enter Canada (or if you are an inland applicant, you are called to the local CIC office). When you arrive at the border, you go through a process that is "landing" which includes confirming information on your application and signing the COPR, which is only then validated. Once you have done that, then the BSO authorises you to become a Permanent Resident. If you don't "land" (at the border or at a CIC office) then you are not a Permanent Resident.

You have a up to a year (dependent on when the medical expires) to activate the visa that allows you to become a PR.

Hope that helps to clarify it a little for you - you can confirm the steps for 'landing' at the link below.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...e-arriving.asp
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Perhaps you don't understand what the process to obtain Permanent Residency is?

You apply - it's processed, then they send you a visa for when you enter Canada (or if you are an inland applicant, you are called to the local CIC office). When you arrive at the border, you go through a process that is "landing" which includes confirming information on your application and signing the COPR, which is only then validated. Once you have done that, then the BSO authorises you to become a Permanent Resident. If you don't "land" (at the border or at a CIC office) then you are not a Permanent Resident.

You have a up to a year (dependent on when the medical expires) to activate the visa that allows you to become a PR.

Hope that helps to clarify it a little for you - you can confirm the steps for 'landing' at the link below.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...e-arriving.asp

Thats great so its a visa that is issued that makes more sense, and once you land then you get your PR documents and apply for your PR card

However im still a little confused as I checked the link and the info is below. This indicates that you get a visa and a Confirmation of Permanent Residence before you land? The Confirmation of Permanent Residence is one of the docs require when applying for child citizenship. I am just wonder if I can do all this from the UK its not really 100% clear (i.e apply to sponsor my child for PR, he gets his Confirmation of Permanent Residence and visa, I then apply for citizenship...without actually landing). What you replied makes complete sense but the below suggests otherwise?

When you arrive in Canada, you must show your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa to a Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officer at the point of entry to Canada. The officer will make sure your travel and immigration documents are correct.

Last edited by samb29; Mar 14th 2013 at 10:00 am.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

ok so reading this again, I am starting to think you may get COPR document with your PR visa but it wont get dated until you land.

Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am just wonder if I can do all this from the UK its not really 100% clear (i.e apply to sponsor my child for PR, he gets his Confirmation of Permanent Residence and visa, I then apply for citizenship...without actually landing).
No, because if s/he doesn't 'land' then they would never become a PR. As Siouxie has said, the final step in the process is 'landing' to activate the PR, and if that's not done within the year of the medical then the whole visa application is lost and PR won't be granted.

There's no way of becoming a PR without landing.

HTH.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Nothing in the Act, Regulations or Operational Manuals requires the child to spend any time in Canada. In the absence of any prohibition, it is open to apply as soon as the child has "landed" in Canada.

It is quite unlikely there would be a refusal, even though the risk is always there. In addition, there would be scope for appeal.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, because if s/he doesn't 'land' then they would never become a PR. As Siouxie has said, the final step in the process is 'landing' to activate the PR, and if that's not done within the year of the medical then the whole visa application is lost and PR won't be granted.

There's no way of becoming a PR without landing.

HTH.
Hi, Thanks for clearing that up, I just thought there might be a way when I read you could submit the COPR document in your citizen application but I guess not, even though it appears you get your COPR before landing