British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Child Canadian passport enquiry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/child-canadian-passport-enquiry-897629/)

sam_drew0618 Jun 5th 2017 10:01 am

Child Canadian passport enquiry

Hi,
My enquiry is I'm British and living in England with my daughter who is 3 months old, my husband (and her father) is Canadian living in Canada. He applied for her proof of citizenship and has just received the certificate of proof. He drove to a passport office in ontario to complete her Canadian passport application as we need it quickly as we was planning flying at end of June however the lady there explained to him as the child is in England and I as her mother would have to apply for it. Now as he has her documents ( birth certificate and proof of citizenship) they advised I put her passport application in England innto a Canadian high commission and then I would get a file number. Which I should give to my husband along with the office address then he can pass this information on too the passport office in ontario to take over the application there end and complete there. does this information sound correct? And how would I get informed of the file number? Would this mean I have to travel to the high commission office to hand deliver the passport application to get the file number? I have tried to email them but my emails are coming back undelivered
Kind regards
Sam

Snowy560 Jun 5th 2017 1:39 pm

Re: Child Canadian passport enquiry

I had to sign my child's Canadian passport application even though I was the other parent and not a Canadian citizen. We are both in Canada though and my husband went to the issuing office with the application. This was after my child became a naturalized citizen.

Signing is to show the other parent consents I believe.

Here's a link which describes the process if living abroad:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/new/apply-how.asp

Siouxie Jun 5th 2017 4:11 pm

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/d...n-citizens.asp

How to apply for a child’s passport

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng < instructions

Current processing (non-urgent) for passports via the UK consul is 8 weeks.

Greenhill Jun 5th 2017 4:27 pm

Does your daughter have a British passport (or will get one in time for the flight) and is your issue related to the new requirement that dual nationals carry a Canadian passport when entering Canada? If so, there is a special authorization you can apply for (in case the Canadian passport doesn't arrive in time). I'll post the link if this is the case...

Originally Posted by sam_drew0618 (Post 12266273)
Hi,
My enquiry is I'm British and living in England with my daughter who is 3 months old, my husband (and her father) is Canadian living in Canada. He applied for her proof of citizenship and has just received the certificate of proof. He drove to a passport office in ontario to complete her Canadian passport application as we need it quickly as we was planning flying at end of June however the lady there explained to him as the child is in England and I as her mother would have to apply for it. Now as he has her documents ( birth certificate and proof of citizenship) they advised I put her passport application in England innto a Canadian high commission and then I would get a file number. Which I should give to my husband along with the office address then he can pass this information on too the passport office in ontario to take over the application there end and complete there. does this information sound correct? And how would I get informed of the file number? Would this mean I have to travel to the high commission office to hand deliver the passport application to get the file number? I have tried to email them but my emails are coming back undelivered
Kind regards
Sam

AshMyl Jun 7th 2017 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12266505)

8 weeks.... we are 8 weeks tomorrow for renewal of our son's Canadian passport.. British Passport, Proof of Citizenship, Canadian Passport, the works all been away all that time.. and us looking to have Mrs and kids make the move to Canada in August if possible.. and no flights booked yet.. never mind getting a container ready and moving stuff ahead This moving is getting more fun as the days pass!!! :lol:

OneIslandtoAnother Jun 20th 2017 1:32 pm

AshMyl
Are you waiting for the renewed passports in the UK?
We applied for 3 new (children) Canadian passports March 15 and they arrived TODAY! 3 months.
I needed our passports for travel over Easter and the Canadian Embassy sent them back to us. But they held the citizenship and other supporting documents.
If you plan on travelling with their UK passports I suggested you contact Cdn Embassy now (by phone) and request them to be returned. If you are waiting for new Cdn passports like we were - expect a 3 month wait. Or call the Embassy and request they process your passports urgently.
When I spoke to a fellow on the phone at the Canadian Embassy he said they were completely swamped - thousands of applications because of the new security rules.
Good Luck

AshMyl Jun 20th 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by OneIslandtoAnother (Post 12276948)
AshMyl
Are you waiting for the renewed passports in the UK?
We applied for 3 new (children) Canadian passports March 15 and they arrived TODAY! 3 months.
I needed our passports for travel over Easter and the Canadian Embassy sent them back to us. But they held the citizenship and other supporting documents.
If you plan on travelling with their UK passports I suggested you contact Cdn Embassy now (by phone) and request them to be returned. If you are waiting for new Cdn passports like we were - expect a 3 month wait. Or call the Embassy and request they process your passports urgently.
When I spoke to a fellow on the phone at the Canadian Embassy he said they were completely swamped - thousands of applications because of the new security rules.
Good Luck

Thanks for the update on your situation. We are only renewing an existing passport, however it has expired now. My wife sent a mail to see they got it ok and we got a mail back to say it has been received and to expect around 8 weeks... we are now 10 weeks on Thursday from the receipt, however someone told us all passports are printed in Canada, not sure how true that is, but it definately is taking time.

We are hoping for them to move back to Canada by end of Aug, but haven't booked anything yet.. here's hoping..

OneIslandtoAnother Jun 21st 2017 9:43 pm

Yes, the passports are printed in Canada. So I had the conversation with Cdn office in London on Tuesday - he processed my application and the passports arrived by courier on the following Tuesday. So there's no delay due to them being printed in Canada. The delay will be that everyone is applying for passports now and the back log is horrendous.
Again - good luck!

AshMyl Jul 23rd 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by OneIslandtoAnother (Post 12277922)
Yes, the passports are printed in Canada. So I had the conversation with Cdn office in London on Tuesday - he processed my application and the passports arrived by courier on the following Tuesday. So there's no delay due to them being printed in Canada. The delay will be that everyone is applying for passports now and the back log is horrendous.
Again - good luck!

We got the passport back yesterday... That is it since Easter, but at least we have it now