Chest X-Ray While Pregnant ?

Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

jeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the rough
Default Chest X-Ray While Pregnant ?

Has anyone ever done there X-ray while pregnant ? I will like to hear from anyone and what there advice will be ?

Thanks
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chest X-Ray While Pregnant ?

So long as we're past the first trimester, pregnancy wouldn't stop my wife having the X-ray done. We've followed enough threads on here and done enough reading on the internet to not panic about it, although there will be people who will think we're irresponsible and nuts. Whatever :-)
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

hopeful2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was just checking this out myself the other day and the situation is that if you are pregnant it is worth bearing in mind that ur new baby will have to have a medical exam before your visas are granted ...so why take the risk wait till the baby arrives and go for ur medicals at the same time !!!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

You can have a chest x ray while pregnant.

BTW. The radiation dose for a chest x-ray in the UK is roughly the same as the radiation dose from a transatlantic flight.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

jeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the roughjeff2679 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for your replies. Hopeful2010 we are already in Canada and have been for over a year now, so your response might not directly apply to us. I think we will ask the radiographers and if they say there is 0.0001% risk then we will leave it till next year and besides the already have a chest x-ray which my wife did for our work permit that only expired in late july 2009, am sure that can find everything they want in that.
Thanks everyone..
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:46 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeff2679
Thank you all for your replies. Hopeful2010 we are already in Canada and have been for over a year now, so your response might not directly apply to us. I think we will ask the radiographers and if they say there is 0.0001% risk then we will leave it till next year and besides the already have a chest x-ray which my wife did for our work permit that only expired in late july 2009, am sure that can find everything they want in that.
Thanks everyone..
The poster above you - Madame Fled is a radiographer in Canada :0)
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Manek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You can have a chest x ray while pregnant.

BTW. The radiation dose for a chest x-ray in the UK is roughly the same as the radiation dose from a transatlantic flight.
so while pg, long flight should be avoided?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone..
I take it you will not be doing anything between now and when the baby is born? There is more than that level of risk with doing anything (even sitting down and typing on this thread).

You shouldn`t be heading to Canada, you should go to the US. That is where all the stupid ones go!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

There is truth in what your saying, However, We still need to evaluate any type of risk involved, Canada is not Heaven enough to make me ignore any risk that might be involved with X-ray. We are already in Canada, So we could not be that Stupid right ?. And i never said that we will not be doing anything until the baby is born, the whole purpose of this forum is to ask for other peoples opinions of their experience.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

Hey guys,

I am pregnant and I had my chest x-ray done. My husband is a radiographer, so I was well informed of all the risks. If you inform the radiographer you are pregnant (I am not sure how far along you are), they will furnish you with a 'lead skirt' to wear during the x-ray. This is a large wrap around piece of lead which will protect your lower half from Radiation and scatter. All they need to see on a chest x-ray is your lungs and heart, so the scan doesn't go down as far as your womb anyway and the lead skirt protects you from any back scatter.

There are many other activities that expose you to similar levels of radiation, (as mentioned the transatlantic flight being one), just we aren't always aware of it. The risks are very low, but I would advise you talk to your GP and radiographer anyway to put your mind at ease. I had my x-ray done just into my second trimester, for my peace of mind, but before the baby got too big.

I hope this information helps.

LL x
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
Hey guys,

I am pregnant and I had my chest x-ray done. My husband is a radiographer, so I was well informed of all the risks. If you inform the radiographer you are pregnant (I am not sure how far along you are), they will furnish you with a 'lead skirt' to wear during the x-ray. This is a large wrap around piece of lead which will protect your lower half from Radiation and scatter. All they need to see on a chest x-ray is your lungs and heart, so the scan doesn't go down as far as your womb anyway and the lead skirt protects you from any back scatter.

There are many other activities that expose you to similar levels of radiation, (as mentioned the transatlantic flight being one), just we aren't always aware of it. The risks are very low, but I would advise you talk to your GP and radiographer anyway to put your mind at ease. I had my x-ray done just into my second trimester, for my peace of mind, but before the baby got too big.

I hope this information helps.

LL x
Good advice, LL, thanks, it backs up what we have found out.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket thanks so much for your advice..
Old Oct 8th 2010, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manek
so while pg, long flight should be avoided?
As a radiographer and an x-ray technologist it is not within my scope of practice to tell you whether or not you should have an x-ray or take a transatlantic flight.

As with all medical procedures you should make an informed decision to consent to or refuse the x-ray procedure. That information will include the relative risks of a chest film vs the benefits which is why I mentioned the relative risk of a transatlantic flight compared to a chest x-ray. You should also be mindful that an immigration chest x-ray is not prohibited during pregnancy which means that experts have put some thought into the relative risk and the amount of radiation a fetus would receive and deemed them acceptable.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Went for the Medical on friday, All went well, however, my wife was unable to do her X-Ray as she was advised that the best period is between 20-24weeks, the physician could not be bothered to explain why she thinks that period was the best, But since that is her area of speciality we had no choice but to take her advice on that. My worry now is that if i remember correctly you only have two months to hand over all medical results to CIC.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

Went for the Medical on friday, All went well, however, my wife was unable to do her X-Ray as she was advised that the best period is between 20-24weeks, the physician could not be bothered to explain why she thinks that period was the best, But since that is her area of speciality we had no choice but to take her advice on that. My worry now is that if i remember correctly you only have two months to hand over all medical results to CIC.
How far along is your wife? I know that they recommend waiting until the baby is fully formed before having your x-ray, (after your first trimester), but I was only 18 weeks along when I had mine. My 20 week scan is this week.

I would always push them to explain why. IRMeR regulations in England mean that it is the radiographers duty to ensure that x-rays are not being done unecessarily and/or will not endanger the patient more than the absolute amount necessary to assist with diagnosis. Maybe your physician is being very cautious? It is an elective x-ray, not one vital to future health? I would consider requesting more information and contacting the CIC t find out how this may affect your application.

LL x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.