Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Changing your name on your Citizenship certificate

Changing your name on your Citizenship certificate

Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing your name on your Citizenship certificate

Has anyone ever done this? I had a quick search but didn't find anything.
I think I am ready to send off my certificate in order to change it to my maiden name, but I have been going insane trying to work out if I have filled in the correct sections of the form (why oh why can there not be a separate form for this?)
Also when I paid the fee, the receipt asks for a client ID, what is it in this case?
Any recent experiences on how long it will take for it to be processed and sent back to me? I was hoping to get away for the labour day long weekend, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
If anyone has any personal experiences to share it would be much appreciated. Hopefully this will be my last time dealing with CIC
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing your name on your Citizenship certificate

Originally Posted by TanieBird
Has anyone ever done this? I had a quick search but didn't find anything.
I think I am ready to send off my certificate in order to change it to my maiden name, but I have been going insane trying to work out if I have filled in the correct sections of the form (why oh why can there not be a separate form for this?)
Also when I paid the fee, the receipt asks for a client ID, what is it in this case?
Any recent experiences on how long it will take for it to be processed and sent back to me? I was hoping to get away for the labour day long weekend, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
If anyone has any personal experiences to share it would be much appreciated. Hopefully this will be my last time dealing with CIC
Have you tried calling CIC at 1 888 242 2100?
Name change

The name on your citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your previous citizenship certificate, if you had one, or your birth certificate or your foreign passport unless:

you have legally changed it, or
you are requesting a different name for your citizenship certificate, and you can provide supporting documents.
Consult the scenarios below to determine the documents that are to be included with your application.

If you have legally changed your name
Then you must provide a copy of a provincial legal change of name document, or
a provincial adoption order indicating your new name, or
if residing outside Canada, a legal change of name document issued by the responsible government authority in your country of residence.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...OC.asp#contact
Old Apr 25th 2014, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

TanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond reputeTanieBird has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't even thought of calling them to be honest. Done everything else DIY with no calls, this just seems to be the most frustrating process yet and has me second guessing myself more than any other.

It's the fact you have to use the same form as when initially applying that is confusing me! I have all the supporting docs - divorce judgment, drivers license in my "new" name, Birth certificate. It may well be worth a call to see what bits of the form I can skip over.

ETA: Since I have been procrastinating on my photos and paying the fee, I see the form has now changed and is much easier to understand. Well done CIC for simplifying the process. I even found a place that tells what my client ID is now. Should've checked the website again before throwing my toys out of my pram lol

Last edited by TanieBird; Apr 25th 2014 at 4:30 am.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

For anyone looking for this info in the future......
I got my new certificate back a couple of weeks ago. It would've been sooner had I not skipped part of the form initially, totally my fault for leaving blank instead of putting N/A.
The website processing times stated up to 6 months, so to get it back in just under 2 (once the corrected forms were sent) was a pleasant surprise.