Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

changing provinces once getting PR

changing provinces once getting PR

Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:38 pm
Banned

sarah_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default changing provinces once getting PR

Is it ILLEGAL, if one got PR via BC PNP and then later switched to another province say for example to marry his/her fiance?
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:42 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: changing provinces once getting PR

Originally Posted by sarah_uk
Is it ILLEGAL, if one got PR via BC PNP and then later switched to another province say for example to marry his/her fiance?
Hi,

I'm not sure if it is the same for all provinces but under NS PNP where we have applied I have signed a legal decleration to say that I will remain in NS for 3 years from landing/gaining PR.

I would have thought that if you move prior to the 3 yr mark that you would be putting your PR in jeopardy.

This is what my thoughts are, however they could be incorrect and hopefully somebody else can confirm this for you
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi,

I'm not sure if it is the same for all provinces but under NS PNP where we have applied I have signed a legal decleration to say that I will remain in NS for 3 years from landing/gaining PR.

I would have thought that if you move prior to the 3 yr mark that you would be putting your PR in jeopardy.

This is what my thoughts are, however they could be incorrect and hopefully somebody else can confirm this for you
hmm okay thanks Nikki, I will continue Googling
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting question as I am applying for PR in Ontario as a Skilled Worker, not via any PNP (non-existent here, except I believe for some pilot schemes).

I've a friend trying to tempt me to Alberta, which could be a possibility, I'm assuming that there would be no restrictions under these circumstances.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:06 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a standard PR via Skilled Worker route then you can move wherever you like. If you get it via PnP they are restrictions and they vary by province.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:20 am

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry can't find specific info re time you have to remain in province.I have had a look on BC PNP website and it doesn't seem to say?

http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/programsandservices/pnp/

I know the declaration I signed was on one of the NS application forms and it specified 3 years.(although we are not looking to move on!) As others have said I'm sure there will be a minimum time for BC aswell.

See you have posted on another thread so may get some more info there
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:26 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesn't say? read carefully:

The British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) offers accelerated immigration for qualified skilled workers and experienced entrepreneurs who wish to settle in British Columbia (BC) and become permanent residents of Canada.

Every PNP program applicant signs declaration to settle in nominating Province - it is a part of PNP application as well as PR application.

Pls read my reply here as well:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...19#post6515319
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Doesn't say? read carefully:

The British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) offers accelerated immigration for qualified skilled workers and experienced entrepreneurs who wish to settle in British Columbia (BC) and become permanent residents of Canada.

Every PNP program applicant signs declaration to settle in nominating Province - it is a part of PNP application as well as PR application.

Pls read my reply here as well:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...19#post6515319
Sorry Andrew, I did see this, I just couldn't see a specific time frame so I assume for BC you have to stay indefinitely?, how does this work in practice for people who say for example get a job offer in another province 2 years after landing as a PR?

Thanks
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

How does this all work if you get PR to NS - have a home there - be tax resident but have a job that will take you away/offshore from your nominated province? The job could take us out of the province for say 2 years - will we loose our PR visa if we are not physically in the country?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:35 am

If it is a job with NS employer sending you on assignment abroad then you should be safe. But if it is a job for out of Province/Canada employer then you obviously will not be fulfilling your end of the PNP bargain.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:46 am
Banned

If it is a job with NS employer sending you on assignment abroad then you should be safe. But if it is a job for out of Province/Canada employer then you obviously will not be fulfilling your end of the PNP bargain.
OK so once being nominated and becoming PR in a province, thats it your'e there forever, and you are not allowed to move even becoming a Citizen?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:15 am

No, it is not forever. But again - nominated immigrant must establish permanent residence in the nominating Province and do everything possible to succeed there before giving up and moving elsewhere. There is no minimum period of time required to stay in the Province, but moving out a week or few months after landing without even staring working there will not be a good idea. Remember that most PNP's require applicants to have a guaranteed job in nominating Province - thus an excuse "I cannot find the job" will not work.

And all of that has nothing to do with citizenship, which is governed by completely different and separate law - the Citizenship Act.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Andrew

What happens if the job that takes you away from the province is a ''self employed job' ie a Ltd company registered in NS - for example a yacht charter business that for 6 months of the year will be running out of the BVI's during the winter months and then in NS waters for the summer.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:08 pm

Company that serves primarily to allow a permanent resident to comply with their residency obligation while residing outside Canada will not work - just in case you didn't know. Also company must have ongoing operations in Canada in order to claim days of working for it abroad as days in Canada for the purpose of meeting residency obligations.

So, running charted business out of an offshore base (BVI) won't work. Running same charter business entirely out of NS might work, providing that company is registered in Canada and operates in Canada. Just the boat gets chartered to sail offshore, but is chartered through the company in Canada.

There may be various combinations of workarounds, but it will have to be a Canadian company operating in Canada. Don't try to have the cake and eat it too without talking to immigration and tax experts.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:13 pm

No, it is not forever. But again - nominated immigrant must establish permanent residence in the nominating Province and do everything possible to succeed there before giving up and moving elsewhere. There is no minimum period of time required to stay in the Province, but moving out a week or few months after landing without even staring working there will not be a good idea. Remember that most PNP's require applicants to have a guaranteed job in nominating Province - thus an excuse "I cannot find the job" will not work.

And all of that has nothing to do with citizenship, which is governed by completely different and separate law - the Citizenship Act.
Thank you for clarifying