Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Changing jobs before Residency received?

Changing jobs before Residency received?

Old Jun 13th 2016, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

melwhits is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing jobs before Residency received?

Hi all,

New to this forum and forums in general so apologies if this has been asked before... I am in the final stages of my residency through the old CIC/PNP way... nearing 20 months in process now! My old visa expired before I received PNP, when PNP came through i then activated the new 24 month visa but it then tied me to my current work place. I have just paid my final fee and must only be about a month away (if all goes to plan) to being called up for my medical, so the light at the end of the tunnel is there! My long winded question is, I am currently tied to my current employer with the new visa until residency is complete. Is there a way around this if I was to find a new job? If the new workplace was happy to take me on and support my residency should any new forms be needed to sign. Has anyone been in a similar position and did it go smoothly or am i just better off holding out till all is complete?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing jobs before Residency received?

You would need to have CIC change the conditions of your work permit if you changed employers and you would need a LMIA if the PNP nomination certificate is employer specific unless PNP decided to change the nomination certificate.
Extend your work permit

How much do you hate your job/employer
Old Jun 13th 2016, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for the information. Does this apply if I didn't get an LMIA in the first place? Went the old route and paid the Employer Compliance fee. But yes the PNP was job and company specific.

A new job opportunity has come up and I'm weighing up my options to see if its worth the hassle with paper work and possibly delaying my residency if I was to change so close to completing...
Old Jun 13th 2016, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the PNP involved.

Sometimes the Province will accept a change of employer. It really does depend (on the job, the employer and the province) but it is going to complicate matters.

Your best bet is to contact the PNP involved and ask them or get in touch with an immigration consultant with experience in the Provincial program you have been nominated through as they will have handled these situations before.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jun 13th 2016 at 10:53 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a bunch, I will try touch base with BC PNP in the next day or two and see how lengthy the process could potentially be. Job rolls are similar, both senior supervisory rolls so I hope that wouldn't effect too much. Fingers crossed I just get my residency this week and I don't have to worry... don't like those odds right now though.

Thanks everyone
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melwhits
Thanks so much for the information. Does this apply if I didn't get an LMIA in the first place? Went the old route and paid the Employer Compliance fee. But yes the PNP was job and company specific.

A new job opportunity has come up and I'm weighing up my options to see if its worth the hassle with paper work and possibly delaying my residency if I was to change so close to completing...
If you were LMIA exempt when you obtained your work permit then you are tied to that employer (as you are for LMIA supported jobs) and the new employer would need to obtain a new LMIA or determine if you qualified as LMIA exempt based on the new role/employer.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is a Provincial Nominee and has applied for PR on that basis.

Also note that the employer is duty bound to notify the BCPNP if there is any change in the employee's work status. It's outlined in the handbook.

S
Old Jun 14th 2016, 7:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

Hi all,

New to this forum and forums in general so apologies if this has been asked before... I am in the final stages of my residency through the old CIC/PNP way... nearing 20 months in process now! My old visa expired before I received PNP, when PNP came through i then activated the new 24 month visa but it then tied me to my current work place. I have just paid my final fee and must only be about a month away (if all goes to plan) to being called up for my medical, so the light at the end of the tunnel is there! My long winded question is, I am currently tied to my current employer with the new visa until residency is complete. Is there a way around this if I was to find a new job? If the new workplace was happy to take me on and support my residency should any new forms be needed to sign. Has anyone been in a similar position and did it go smoothly or am i just better off holding out till all is complete?

Thanks a bunch, I will try touch base with BC PNP in the next day or two and see how lengthy the process could potentially be. Job rolls are similar, both senior supervisory rolls so I hope that wouldn't effect too much. Fingers crossed I just get my residency this week and I don't have to worry... don't like those odds right now though.

Thanks everyone
If you haven't yet had your medical, you won't get your COPR for several weeks, potentially even 2-3 months - they have to notify you to have it done, then you undergo the medical and CIC received the results, they review them and then finalise the processing of your COPR. It won't happen anytime in the next week and unlikely in the next month.

My concern would be that you were sponsored by your current employer - if you leave, you would possibly have to start again from scratch. Regardless, you would need consent from BC PNP to change jobs. Theoretically, if you accepted the new position, the new potential employer may have to obtain an LMIA for you get a work permit to continue to work, unless they were willing to wait for a new PNP application to be approved (presuming that BC PNP wouldn't allow the transfer of employers). Regardless, the new potential employer would need to meet the requirements to be able to nominate/sponsor you. Others may be able to advise you from first hand experience, this is only what I believe to be the case.

Would the potential new employer be willing to wait for you? If they are prepared to wait (say, for PNP approval or an LMIA approval) would they hang on a couple of months for you to gain your PR?

Might be worth asking!

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 14th 2016 at 7:42 am.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the information and comments, I will be calling PNP to ask the question later today. I do not want to have to start the process again or complicate things further. But just wanted to explore my options in case I was to be offered the new job, as it is a great opportunity! For now I guess I just have to wait and see... cross that bridge if and when I come to it.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 7:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the information and comments, I will be calling PNP to ask the question later today. I do not want to have to start the process again or complicate things further. But just wanted to explore my options in case I was to be offered the new job, as it is a great opportunity! For now I guess I just have to wait and see... cross that bridge if and when I come to it.
Talking of bridges...

When does your current work permit run out? If it's coming up in 4 months +/- time, you could perhaps apply for a bridging open work permit, if BC PNP allowed you to change employers.

Please let us know what they say - it would be really useful for anyone else thinking along the same lines.

for you!

Old Jun 15th 2016, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Current permit is still valid till November 2017 so still a while.

I will indeed.

Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2016, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

I sent an email through to BC PNP and this was the reply:

Both you and your employer are responsible for advising us of any changes in your employment. This includes a promotion, lay off, termination or a potential new job with a new employer. In each of these cases, you are required to inform a PNP advisor of the change in your employment and he or she will inform you of any implications. Please note that failing to inform us of a change in your employment status could lead us to withdraw your nomination or could result in questions from CIC when they process your application for permanent residency.

If you have accepted a new job offer from a new employer, you will have to notify our office with these changes.

Please re-submit the following documents for your new employer:
- Job offer Form
- Job offer letter
- Recommendation Letter (Pre-nom)
- Valid BC license & Certificate of Incorporation

Any change to your application will be assessed by the Program Advisor to ensure that your application still meets the requirements of the program stream you applied under.

So looks like it is possible but you would need to be sure that the new position/company was happy to take you on with this information and provide the new items needed and I think that you would need to be in a similar NOC code as well. It's a risk but if the position is still in demand for the province I guess it works in their benefit to keep you here?

I will keep you all posted
Old Jun 17th 2016, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck!