Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Changing immigration representative/consultant when not happy with current one

Changing immigration representative/consultant when not happy with current one

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute
Question Changing immigration representative/consultant when not happy with current one

Hubby & I are with a company that we are not very happy with for various reasons - discovered this site a few months after going with them unfortunately, as otherwise would not have gone with them. We got our AOR last August.

What i'd like to ask is, is it possible to swap/change immigration consultants/representatives during applying for immigration - we are a straight forward case going down the SW route.

We'd like to know if anybody else has done this already & can we do it & what costs are we likely to incur.

Thanks in advance,

Arris
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:22 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing immigration representative/consultant when not happy with current one

Originally Posted by Arris
Hubby & I are with a company that we are not very happy with for various reasons - discovered this site a few months after going with them unfortunately, as otherwise would not have gone with them. We got our AOR last August.

What i'd like to ask is, is it possible to swap/change immigration consultants/representatives during applying for immigration - we are a straight forward case going down the SW route.

We'd like to know if anybody else has done this already & can we do it & what costs are we likely to incur.

Thanks in advance,

Arris
You can change. I don't know what agreement you signed with your immigration consultants, so I don't know what your financial obligations to them are.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada will not charge you to change your representative. Just complete Form IMM 5476, Use of a Representative, and send it to the Canadian visa office to which you submitted your original application. But, before doing that, you might want to read CIC's instructions.

You might consider appointing the firm of Arris & Associates to act on your behalf.
x
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing immigration representative/consultant when not happy with current one

Thanks very much for your help Judy - pleased to know we can so will now look into swapping to somebody else.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We decided that we were better off going alone after we sacked the lawyer my company had retained
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Tracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant futureTracywall has a brilliant future

Arris Who was your consultant??
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Arris

Thanks in advance,

Arris
We started off using a consultant, (workpermit.com) dont know what possessed me really, just over-anxious about getting it done correctly I think.

Anyway, they gave us some crap advise (didnt even get our points right, which concerned me) - to cut a long story short, even though i had paid 500 UK pounds (sorry, cant find the "pound sign"!) and they sent the application in for me, i wrote telling them that i didnt want them to represent me or have anything more to do with my application.

I went down to the Canadian High Commission, lined up for bloody hours to had in my letter stating that the consultants were no longer representing me. In the meantime I told the consultants that in effect they were fired, and although I wouldnt be asking for the money back, I certainly would be paying them anymore (they were expecting another 500 when I got either accepted, or called for an interview.).

Wouldnt you know it - 2 months later the letter requesting my attendence for interview at the High Commission went to the consultants! Obviously they then wanted the rest of the money as we had been granted an interview. I told them to sue me for it - I felt we had got the interview despite them, not because of them! Had the interview, was accepted......and the rest as they say is history!

I never heard from the consultants again.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flatty38

Wouldnt you know it - 2 months later the letter requesting my attendence for interview at the High Commission went to the consultants! Obviously they then wanted the rest of the money as we had been granted an interview. I told them to sue me for it - I felt we had got the interview despite them, not because of them!
Don't you get called for interview because you haven't made a good application, because there are doubts and questions about some of what you've said in your forms and evidence? - you could well have been called for interview because of your consultant
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Don't you get called for interview because you haven't made a good application, because there are doubts and questions about some of what you've said in your forms and evidence? - you could well have been called for interview because of your consultant
Acutally, yes, but at the time i didnt realize that.

The consultants told me the procedure was that if the application was ok, I would be called for interview, then the medicals. After that I would be called down to London again to have the papers issued.

The advice I got was not accurate, or consistent, and it made the whole application/waiting thing that much worse.

I so wish I knew of this forum when i applied.