Changing Employers, still on TWP

Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Changing Employers, still on TWP

Hi, It's been a while since I posted on here, hopefully some of you guys can help.

I currently in Montreal on a 2 year TWP which expires this August. I am looking for new jobs in Toronto as I work in sales and there just aren't enough English-speaking opportunities here. I will eventually apply for PR, but I won't be able to do that until after August and will prob take another 6 months after that to get it all done, and I'm looking for something sooner rather than later.

I have had a number of great conversations with recruiters in Toronto for some big software companies.

Could any of you comment on your experiences of changing employers and therefore getting new LMOs, TWPs etc? How hard is it? How long does it typically take? Have there been any changes to the process recently?

I'm happy for people to point me in the direction of similar threads, I just find it hard to search for the topic.

All help greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:13 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Employers, still on TWP

I've effectively changed employers twice while in Canada on TWPs.

However, I suppose I'm lucky that I was working in a NOC 0 profession and an identified "in demand occupation". The initial move was from Montreal to Toronto and all of the details were handled by a law firm hired by the company.

Unfortunately, the company closed in the recession (2008).I applied for other jobs and was finally offered one in Saskatchewan. I was upfront about the need for a TWP from the initial phone interview. they had gone through the LMO route before and were happy to do it again.

I've since applied for and got provincial nomination, extended the TWP and my PR application is submitted.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

I should be in Skill set 'B' by the looks of things, not sure if it's "In demand" but I know it's classed as skilled (anything 0, A or B I believe).

How long did the process of changing TWPs take?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by petepete99
I should be in Skill set 'B' by the looks of things, not sure if it's "In demand" but I know it's classed as skilled (anything 0, A or B I believe).

How long did the process of changing TWPs take?

You should dig deeper into the new rules coming into effect on April 1st -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2010-08-18.asp

This has been discussed on BE too. Apparently they are reducing the length of time one can work here on a TWP - for some reason 3 years sticks out in my mind. So, if you got another job on a TWP, you'd have to pretty sharpish apply for PR, as it's unlikely you'll get another TWP after your next one expires.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for notifying me of this.

I just had a look. It's 4 years, so not too bad, but still, not great. I will be applying for PR as soon as I reach 2 years anyway, so I'd imagine it won't affect me.