Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:19 am
  #1  
Yorkshire meets Vegas
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: T. ON (so there!)
Posts: 1,354
Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

There's a vague possibility that I may be moving job in the new year.

I'm currently on an employer specific HRDC validated work permit. The position is with a different company at a more senior level.

Does anyone have any experience of how easy this is to do, or what the time line would be like...

Cheers!
Pretty Flowers is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:43 am
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

You cannot just change employment when on standard, employer specific work permit. You need to obtain job offer from new employer - offer validated by HRSDC (with LMO) - and apply for change of conditions to change work permit to new employer. If you are unable to apply for change before current work permit expires you will need to apply for new work permit abroad, not in Canada. You cannot start working for new employer without new work permit.


Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
There's a vague possibility that I may be moving job in the new year.

I'm currently on an employer specific HRDC validated work permit. The position is with a different company at a more senior level.

Does anyone have any experience of how easy this is to do, or what the time line would be like...

Cheers!
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:55 am
  #3  
Yorkshire meets Vegas
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: T. ON (so there!)
Posts: 1,354
Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You cannot just change employment when on standard, employer specific work permit. You need to obtain job offer from new employer - offer validated by HRSDC (with LMO) - and apply for change of conditions to change work permit to new employer. If you are unable to apply for change before current work permit expires you will need to apply for new work permit abroad, not in Canada. You cannot start working for new employer without new work permit.
So the same 4/6 weeks it took for the original application in that case...
Pretty Flowers is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:15 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 112
mirceaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

if the work permit application reached Vegreville before the expiration of the previous one, is the applicant allowed to work during the processing time if the previous work permit expires during this time?

Thanks,

Mircea


Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
So the same 4/6 weeks it took for the original application in that case...
mirceaf is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:26 am
  #5  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

Person is allowed to continue working for the same employer if work permit extension application reaches Vegreville before original WP expires.

But person cannot work for new employer without new work permit.


Originally Posted by mirceaf
if the work permit application reached Vegreville before the expiration of the previous one, is the applicant allowed to work during the processing time if the previous work permit expires during this time?

Thanks,

Mircea
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:31 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 112
mirceaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

I understand this, but what happens if the first work permit expires on the 5th, application reaches Vegreville on the 4th but the applicant receives the renewal on 30th? Is he/she allowed to work from 5th to 30th just because there is work permit application in progress?




Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Person is allowed to continue working for the same employer if work permit extension application reaches Vegreville before original WP expires.

But person cannot work for new employer without new work permit.
mirceaf is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:34 am
  #7  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing Employer on a Temporary Employment Visa

Yes, but only if extension application is for the same employer, not if it is application for work permit for different employer.

Originally Posted by mirceaf
I understand this, but what happens if the first work permit expires on the 5th, application reaches Vegreville on the 4th but the applicant receives the renewal on 30th? Is he/she allowed to work from 5th to 30th just because there is work permit application in progress?
Andrew Miller is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.