Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Changing destination after issue of Immigrant Visa - HELP!!!

Changing destination after issue of Immigrant Visa - HELP!!!

Old Jan 27th 2005, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road
Default Changing destination after issue of Immigrant Visa - HELP!!!

Changing destination after issue of Immigrant Visa- HELP!!! Help Please!

I just received my immigrant visa last week. However, my partner & I have now decided to go to Montreal (Quebec) instead of Vancouver (BC) as originally stated in our application due to change in family circumstances.
Do I have to go back to CIC? Can I go to Montreal or do I have to first enter Canada through Vancouver? and finally, can I give the immigration officers an address in Montreal to post my PR card, SIN etc?

Your assistance is urgently required. Thanking you in anticipation of your assistance.

Kay

Last edited by kki6; Jan 27th 2005 at 4:20 am.
Old Jan 27th 2005, 7:38 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing destination after issue of Immigrant Visa - HELP!!!

You must land outside of Quebec (or if due to flight connections your plane lands first in Quebec you must have proof of continuing trip to your destination outside Quebec). You cannot give Quebec address for your PR Card. You will have extreme difficulties to apply for SIN and health coverage without CSQ.

Land outside Quebec and after getting your SIN move to Quebec and you'll be fine, except not having access to many free services available only to immigrants with CSQ.

Originally Posted by kki6
Changing destination after issue of Immigrant Visa- HELP!!! Help Please!

I just received my immigrant visa last week. However, my partner & I have now decided to go to Montreal (Quebec) instead of Vancouver (BC) as originally stated in our application due to change in family circumstances.
Do I have to go back to CIC? Can I go to Montreal or do I have to first enter Canada through Vancouver? and finally, can I give the immigration officers an address in Montreal to post my PR card, SIN etc?

Your assistance is urgently required. Thanking you in anticipation of your assistance.

Kay
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for your kind reply Andrew. Life saver again!!

One more question. As I have been sponsored under the family class, does my partner have to be available to collect me (from the airport) if I land outside Quebec for example in Ottawa? or will it be sufficient if if he is simply in the country (he would be in Montreal).

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You must land outside of Quebec (or if due to flight connections your plane lands first in Quebec you must have proof of continuing trip to your destination outside Quebec). You cannot give Quebec address for your PR Card. You will have extreme difficulties to apply for SIN and health coverage without CSQ.

Land outside Quebec and after getting your SIN move to Quebec and you'll be fine, except not having access to many free services available only to immigrants with CSQ.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Sorry buddy,

You can land in Quebec only if you have CSQ. You have to land in other part of canada if you are a federal immigrant or in the province that you have applied for if you are a provincial applicant. Quebec has its own immigration programme unlike the other provinces. If you still want to settle in Quebec then you can have your PR card and then come to Quebec. But still I wont recommend you going there because the taxes are hell lot as compared to other provinces but then you have other facilities unlike other provinces.

Good luck...
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:25 am

No, your partner doesn't need to pick you up.

Originally Posted by kki6
Many thanks for your kind reply Andrew. Life saver again!!

One more question. As I have been sponsored under the family class, does my partner have to be available to collect me (from the airport) if I land outside Quebec for example in Ottawa? or will it be sufficient if if he is simply in the country (he would be in Montreal).
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

gvr123 is a jewel in the roughgvr123 is a jewel in the roughgvr123 is a jewel in the roughgvr123 is a jewel in the roughgvr123 is a jewel in the rough

so is this ok then

I selected toronto , can i land in vacouver???

Thanks
Old Jan 28th 2005, 5:55 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gvr123
so is this ok then

I selected toronto , can i land in vacouver???

Thanks
You can land in any city as long as it is not in Quebec. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 9:44 am
shy
Just Joined

shy is an unknown quantity at this point

hello everybody
me and my husband had applied for federal so we landed in toronto,at the time of landing gave my attorneys adress in montreal (quebec) for our cards ,i had landed first they did not ask me anything i just told thm that it is my atorneys adress in montreal to recieve the pr cards,for my husband who landed later then me they were haseling him a little,saying that the computer wud not accept a quebec adress,ten he showed the copy of my card with the letter from CIC ardressed to my attorneys adress in montreal.After that they accepted his adress. Anyway soon after we moved to montreal ..we now intend to live in montrea,so we signed a lease and stuff,the day after i got my lease i went for the ehalth insurance i think it is called REGIS or something like that,i was lucky the officer was very helpful,all he ws keen on knowing if our intensions were to permanently settle down in quebec ,so we explained our situation to him and that we had signed a lease and stuff,he kept a copy of the lease and another question he had asked was if we had applied for any federal insurance like OHIP etc. We said that we came right away to quebec after landing and we hadnt applied for any other insurance.
They were most helpful..
Havent aplied fr sin YET .Maybe next week. So will keep u updated.
Hope my posting was of some help
Good luck!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

netranasik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

An important discussion indeed!

I have indicated 'Toronto' in my application.

After I get my PR (God knows when!), if my daughter (included in PR application) wishes to study in Montreal, will she be recognised as a PR for the determination of fees?

Mr Miller: Would appreciate your comment on this.

Thanks a lot

Netra
Applied/AOR: June 2003

Originally Posted by shy
hello everybody
me and my husband had applied for federal so we landed in toronto,at the time of landing gave my attorneys adress in montreal (quebec) for our cards ,i had landed first they did not ask me anything i just told thm that it is my atorneys adress in montreal to recieve the pr cards,for my husband who landed later then me they were haseling him a little,saying that the computer wud not accept a quebec adress,ten he showed the copy of my card with the letter from CIC ardressed to my attorneys adress in montreal.After that they accepted his adress. Anyway soon after we moved to montreal ..we now intend to live in montrea,so we signed a lease and stuff,the day after i got my lease i went for the ehalth insurance i think it is called REGIS or something like that,i was lucky the officer was very helpful,all he ws keen on knowing if our intensions were to permanently settle down in quebec ,so we explained our situation to him and that we had signed a lease and stuff,he kept a copy of the lease and another question he had asked was if we had applied for any federal insurance like OHIP etc. We said that we came right away to quebec after landing and we hadnt applied for any other insurance.
They were most helpful..
Havent aplied fr sin YET .Maybe next week. So will keep u updated.
Hope my posting was of some help
Good luck!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

As per my info for a Federal Skilled worker , it does'nt matter what destination he mentions in his application. He can land anywhere in Canada. Non-availability of free services in Qubec is a totally different discussion. Simple and straight forward answer is , It just does'nt matter what you indicated in your application form.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:55 pm

Last time I checked (about a year ago) Quebec education system had three kinds of tuition fees:

1. Fees for Quebec residents

2. Fees for Canadian citizens or PR coming from other Provinces

3. Fees for international students

If you establish your residency in Ontario then your daughter will pay out of Province tuition fees.

Check most current rules with Quebec authorities as things change often.

Originally Posted by netranasik
Hi all

An important discussion indeed!

I have indicated 'Toronto' in my application.

After I get my PR (God knows when!), if my daughter (included in PR application) wishes to study in Montreal, will she be recognised as a PR for the determination of fees?

Mr Miller: Would appreciate your comment on this.

Thanks a lot

Netra
Applied/AOR: June 2003
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orazone
As per my info for a Federal Skilled worker , it does'nt matter what destination he mentions in his application. He can land anywhere in Canada. Non-availability of free services in Qubec is a totally different discussion. Simple and straight forward answer is , It just does'nt matter what you indicated in your application form.

It's also true that those applying with a Quebec selection certificate must sign a declaration promising to live in the Province.

However those going Federal do not have to sign such a declaration to avoid Quebec, so once you have landed elsewhere (and preferably got PR and SIN card) you are free to move to Quebec, except for the issues already discussed on Quebec government services.

Although this is technically a loophole it's less so in reality as it usually makes more sense for anyone planning to live in Quebec who is proficient in French (which is a requirement for most jobs in Quebec) to apply via the Quebec system.

Jeremy
Old Jan 28th 2005, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

netranasik is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Mr Miller.

I double-checked with my daughter's prospective university.

The information you provided is still valid.

Netra
Applied/AOR: June 2003 (Singapore)
BFD: April 2005

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Last time I checked (about a year ago) Quebec education system had three kinds of tuition fees:

1. Fees for Quebec residents

2. Fees for Canadian citizens or PR coming from other Provinces

3. Fees for international students

If you establish your residency in Ontario then your daughter will pay out of Province tuition fees.

Check most current rules with Quebec authorities as things change often.