Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent!

Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent!

Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes to 'the list' of 38 (FSW visas) imminent!

Originally Posted by J0n35y
My partner and I are starting to think that the $1200 or so it would take for me her and the wee man is a small price to pay to ensure we can take our first steps to a move if we want to. We'd have 3 or 4 years to move so it's sounding like a good gamble.
And don't forget that if you withdraw your application before they start processing it, you will get your fees back. So potentially you could apply, then have another few weeks to think about before withdrawing it if you want to?

Obviously your call, and I've seen from your other post that you are at the early stages of considering Canada so it's a tricky decision for you.

Best of luck making it.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And don't forget that if you withdraw your application before they start processing it, you will get your fees back. So potentially you could apply, then have another few weeks to think about before withdrawing it if you want to?

Obviously your call, and I've seen from your other post that you are at the early stages of considering Canada so it's a tricky decision for you.

Best of luck making it.
Thanks bud.

Its been on our minds for a long time. We seriously discussed it about 21 months ago but within about 3 days of deciding it was a good thing my partner was pregnant and things were put on hold in a panic and a house, family car and what not became priority. Recently we have been thinking about it again.

Anyway, random personal story there haha, but its probably a risk worth taking. The fee is a lot of money but a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things whether we go or not - not to mention it almost gets the finger out and makes our minds up!

Is the form to be sent by mail only or can an online/email route be used? I get the impression you must post it to Canada first and move on from there?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We seriously discussed it about 21 months ago but within about 3 days of deciding it was a good thing my partner was pregnant and things were put on hold in a panic and a house, family car and what not became priority.
Ah yes, the chaos of children. Amazing how much disruption such a small creature can bring to your life isn't it?!?

Is the form to be sent by mail only or can an online/email route be used? I get the impression you must post it to Canada first and move on from there?
You're absolutely right. You need to send it via post to the CIO in Sydney, Nova Scotia. There is a good guide you can download on the CIC website, as well as the forms.

Good luck.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As Jet said, if you have already got your application in then you don't need to worry, it's only new applications that will be affected.

But if your job is currently on the list and you haven't yet applied, then don't delay and make sure you get it in before mid April. Otherwise, they may well take your job off the list and you would no longer be eligible to apply.
Oh NO I Can't. Just found out I am on the list for Alberta INP and meet all criterior except for 1 thing. I have to have worked for 6 months. My employer has said she wants to sponsor me but there is no way we can send application off until 1st May !!!! Please tell me you think I'll be safe
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

ClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really niceClanickP is just really nice

Hi.

Someone earlier mentioned that they thought "cooks" might be taken off the list. Do you think that will include chefs, which has a different noc code?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:04 am
Just Joined

carolinna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Broady's
I can only go from in country experience (BC) but when I recruited for an IT Manager late last year, I received 30+ resumes from applicants. It never crossed my mind that I would have to look outside of Canada as the market was strong. Pastry Chefs on the other hand I know I am going to be looking outside of Canada.
HTH
Do you need a pastry chef? Just been browsing this forum for advice as we sent FSW forms off yesterday, and now getting scared there will not be any chef jobs available to candidates outside of Canada!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

Talked about what we was going to do last night and decided to apply in april,don't want to take the risk of waiting.
Thanks for all the advice,will keep you posted
Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamie677
Talked about what we was going to do last night and decided to apply in april,don't want to take the risk of waiting.
Thanks for all the advice,will keep you posted
All the best
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zippadydoda
Oh NO I Can't. Just found out I am on the list for Alberta INP and meet all criterior except for 1 thing. I have to have worked for 6 months. My employer has said she wants to sponsor me but there is no way we can send application off until 1st May !!!! Please tell me you think I'll be safe
I dont think Alberta INP will be affected by this. This is a change to the federal list. Unless, of course, Alberta, is also looking to change their list. And assuming you were looking to apply under Alberta program and not the federal program.

Ray
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carolinna
Do you need a pastry chef? Just been browsing this forum for advice as we sent FSW forms off yesterday, and now getting scared there will not be any chef jobs available to candidates outside of Canada!
If you haver already aplied, the change should not impact you. I think your application will be processed under the current list.

Ray
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by raymasa
I dont think Alberta INP will be affected by this. This is a change to the federal list. Unless, of course, Alberta, is also looking to change their list. And assuming you were looking to apply under Alberta program and not the federal program.

Ray
Thanks for that Ray. Here's hoping!!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

CStudent is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

please, can somebody offer a guess how the new ministerial instructions might affect international students? Any thoughts/ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

PD999 is an unknown quantity at this point

The new rules will affect the list of occupations that the Canadian government deem most in need, so being an international student should not have any influence.

If your studies relate to one of the occupations on 'the list', then it would be prudent to follow the changes to 'the list' over the next few months.

If you are worried that any new changes would be detrimental to the placing of your future occupation on 'the list', then you may want to consider applying for permanent residency as soon as possible.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

CStudent is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I doubt that my occupation will ever get on the "list" because I'm doing a PhD in the Social Sciences. So my only option is to apply under category 3 -- students currently studying in Canada; if the new ministerial instructions exclude FSW category 3, then I cannot apply, irrespective of any new "list" that CIC might come up with.
Let's hope they don't change the current provisions with respect to international students
Old Mar 27th 2010, 5:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Bumping up for anybody that hasn't seen this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.