Wikiposts

Changes in Immigration 2015

Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changes in Immigration 2015

Hi,

I've seen and read a few press releases and articles regarding changes to the immigration process starting in January 2015. However, I still have a few questions...

I lived in Vancouver for two years, and had trouble with my third IEC (I applied pre 2011 so was eligible for 3 before anyone wonders what I'm on about) so had to come home earlier than I wanted.

My plan now, is to apply for my last IEC in December, and move to Canada in 2015, and use the year to try and nail down full time, permanent employment, eventually leading to a PR application (most likely through PNP). A lot of my friends in Vancouver did the same - not all of whom were in 'skilled' jobs.

However, the new Express Entry system makes it sound like this might not be quite so straight forward anymore? It sounds like there's much more emphasis on being skilled/having specific knowledge in order to get to the 'top of the pile' and be invited to apply?

I think someone mentioned that having a job offer will push you up the pile - so wanted to find out if this had been confirmed? Or if anyone had any information on this?

Basically, I'm not 'skilled' (i.e. I don't have a trade or specific knowledge) but I have a degree, can speak English, worked for most of the 2 years I spent in Canada previously etc etc... so now I'm worried that by not being skilled, or having specific knowledge, it's going to make it difficult to work my way to the top, or at least into a position where I can get an 'invitation to apply' through the Express Entry.

I guess, basically, my question is that - is getting a job while doing my IEC, and applying through PNP, still a realistic option for PR? Or has that ship sailed?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes in Immigration 2015

The simple answer is that nobody knows yet! Sorry, but CIC haven't announced anything concrete, so we're all just guessing at the moment.

I'd just carry on with your plans and keep a close eye on the CIC website (news releases section), and the Gazette for more info.

Good luck.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The simple answer is that nobody knows yet! Sorry, but CIC haven't announced anything concrete, so we're all just guessing at the moment.

I'd just carry on with your plans and keep a close eye on the CIC website (news releases section), and the Gazette for more info.

Good luck.
Hmm... from the lack of definite info, I did suspect that could be the case. Thanks for replying anyway
Old Jul 8th 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

wannalivemb is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I have heard, Express Entry program should not replace PNP. I hope it answers your question. Maybe Provinces will adjust their programs but there should remain a way to be PR through PNP programs. Express entry will be beside and replace the current FSW as well as some of the CEC I guess.. This is my understanding from the articles I read about it.

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Hi,

I've seen and read a few press releases and articles regarding changes to the immigration process starting in January 2015. However, I still have a few questions...

I lived in Vancouver for two years, and had trouble with my third IEC (I applied pre 2011 so was eligible for 3 before anyone wonders what I'm on about) so had to come home earlier than I wanted.

My plan now, is to apply for my last IEC in December, and move to Canada in 2015, and use the year to try and nail down full time, permanent employment, eventually leading to a PR application (most likely through PNP). A lot of my friends in Vancouver did the same - not all of whom were in 'skilled' jobs.

However, the new Express Entry system makes it sound like this might not be quite so straight forward anymore? It sounds like there's much more emphasis on being skilled/having specific knowledge in order to get to the 'top of the pile' and be invited to apply?

I think someone mentioned that having a job offer will push you up the pile - so wanted to find out if this had been confirmed? Or if anyone had any information on this?

Basically, I'm not 'skilled' (i.e. I don't have a trade or specific knowledge) but I have a degree, can speak English, worked for most of the 2 years I spent in Canada previously etc etc... so now I'm worried that by not being skilled, or having specific knowledge, it's going to make it difficult to work my way to the top, or at least into a position where I can get an 'invitation to apply' through the Express Entry.

I guess, basically, my question is that - is getting a job while doing my IEC, and applying through PNP, still a realistic option for PR? Or has that ship sailed?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wannalivemb
From what I have heard, Express Entry program should not replace PNP. I hope it answers your question. Maybe Provinces will adjust their programs but there should remain a way to be PR through PNP programs. Express entry will be beside and replace the current FSW as well as some of the CEC I guess.. This is my understanding from the articles I read about it.
Cool - I think the best way I've heard it described is as a match-making service between employers in Canada, and employees without a job offer who wish to, or are willing to, relocate to Canada.

What's the ettiquette on having two applications going at once down two different routes? Here's my logic...

I apply for the IEC in December, with a view to moving to Canada in April/May 2015. However, sometime in the first half of 2015, also I register under the Express Entry, and get the wheels in motion to potentially match me with an employer with whom I could gain residency. In the mean time, I spend my time from April/May onwards trying to get a job once I arrive in Canada, with an employer which may lead to PR.

If, as an example, my Express Entry application is still active, but I find an employer who is willing to process a PNP whilst on my IEC, I should, simply, be able to 'cancel' my Express Entry application, and proceed with the PNP? Or is there a chance that my previous application (and subsequent cancellation) could affect my chances of obtaining my TWP (and PR) through the PNP?

Bit of a specific example, I know, but would be interesting to see what people think about this? I'm just thinking it could be good to hedge my bets, and try as many ways to avoid getting to April/May 2016 and having to come home because I couldn't nail down employment that would offer PNP.