Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Change from TWP to visitor status from w/in Canada?

Change from TWP to visitor status from w/in Canada?

Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

JNLS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change from TWP to visitor status from w/in Canada?

Hi,
I hope I'm not asking a dumb question - I have searched the forum & couldn't find anything similar. I am in Canada on a TWP, expires 31 Mar 2010. We are planning to move back to Ireland then. Things are busy at work, I don't have a lot of vacation time, and my boss really wants me to work right up to the end. Problem is, I have quite a few domestic things to get in order before we go (house to sell, contents to ship, etc), so it's not like I can leave work at 5pm on the 31st, get on a plane, & leave the country. I am wondering if it is possible to extend our stay here by changing status to visitor, so that from 1st Apr onwards our status will switch from TWP to visitor. We are quite a distance from the border, so just leaving & coming back wouldn't really work. Can anyone advise?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Change from TWP to visitor status from w/in Canada?

OK, it was a dumb question. More digging around on the CIC website and I'm pretty sure I just need to fill out Form 1249 and tick the "Extension of temporary status as a visitor". Although, now that I've typed it out, it makes it appear that you'd have to already have visitor status, and just be extending it, rather that have changing from temporary resident status to visitor...
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JNLS
OK, it was a dumb question. More digging around on the CIC website and I'm pretty sure I just need to fill out Form 1249 and tick the "Extension of temporary status as a visitor". Although, now that I've typed it out, it makes it appear that you'd have to already have visitor status, and just be extending it, rather that have changing from temporary resident status to visitor...
Hi there!

Yes you have to fill out the application to change conditions, extend your stay and remain in Canada. You tick box A.

Don't forget to attach enough details to show that you are willing to leave the country after your visitor status expires. Also you should give them proper background on how you will finance your stay in Canada. I think those are the most important things an officer is looking for.

Good luck! My friend actually just received an extension for a full year as she is waiting in Canada to receive her PR.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks mermaid!