Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Change of Status - Vistor to Work Permit/Study Permit

Change of Status - Vistor to Work Permit/Study Permit

Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

ahoo123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change of Status - Vistor to Work Permit/Study Permit

I have been searching this forum but could not find the answers to my questions. I hope that someone can help me with this:

I am a PR and sponsoring my wife and my son inland Canada. Today we received the Approved in Principle letter. We have heard that she can apply an open work permit, a work permit without a job offered.

1. My first question is can she apply for an open study permit? That means to get a student visa without having the acceptance letter from school?

2. And in either case, what status is my son going to have? He is only one and a half year old.

3. The last question is do I use the form Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay, or Remain in Canada [IMM 1249] for the change of status in either case?

Thank you!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:34 am
Just Joined

ahoo123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change of Status - Vistor to Work Permit/Study Permit

any body?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:00 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could help you, but I don't know the answers to your questions.

If you don't receive answers here, perhaps you or your wife could call Citizenship and Immigration Canada's Call Centre at 1-888-242‑2100. It operates Monday to Friday, 8.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m., in your local time zone.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by ahoo123
I have been searching this forum but could not find the answers to my questions. I hope that someone can help me with this:

I am a PR and sponsoring my wife and my son inland Canada. Today we received the Approved in Principle letter. We have heard that she can apply an open work permit, a work permit without a job offered.

1. My first question is can she apply for an open study permit? That means to get a student visa without having the acceptance letter from school?

2. And in either case, what status is my son going to have? He is only one and a half year old.

3. The last question is do I use the form Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay, or Remain in Canada [IMM 1249] for the change of status in either case?

Thank you!
1. Really no such animal as an open study permit, they can be open in the sense that if it is issued for a university, you can transfer to another one at the same level of study, without obtaining a new Study Permit. So you will need an acceptance letter to obtain permit.
2. Your son, is a visitor, assuming that he was admitted as a visitor and you get his status up.
3. Imm 1249.